PKR A Partial Knee

How much pain are you having? Back in October you mentioned walking on sand, which can be difficult, but you said you found it beneficial. How long did you do that?

What activities are you doing now?

At 10 months, and with the pain you are having, your knee is not fully healed yet. Some of us take more than the first year for healing to complete.

Hello @Jockette,
Well I complicated things by falling off the last step of my ladder and made everything worse for my knee. So It's been hovering about 5-7 on the pain scale. I have tried everything I can think of and I still find walking on sand oddly easier than flat ground but I'm mostly not at the coast.
I walk most days on a bark path, it's about 3/4 of a mile but I go VERY slow. I tried the stationery bike again and did it for 3 days, increasing each day by 5 min, up to 25 min but then the pain came roaring back.
This MCL stuff makes more sense to me, since the surgeon says the joint looks "fine." But who knows? I had an injection yesterday that will be diagnostic if it helps the pain.

I‘m sorry about the fall off your ladder, when did that happen? That would definitely upset your soft tissue that isn’t fully healed yet from your replacement.

It took me a really long time to be able to walk comfortably on uneven surfaces, like the bark surface you mentioned, it was probably into my third year before I could do that.

But, I’ve always had issues with my partial and I’m not happy with it at all. My whole first year post op was difficult.

@Jockette,
I’m convinced I’m in your same boat. As you well know, if you read enough on here you see many people making real if slow progress. I have little moments where some things seems to help but I haven’t had a single day of even mild pain since the operation. 10 months is long enough to know if you are on a good trajectory and if I felt like it was steadily, if slowly getting better I would be hopeful. I do understand that over the years it may slowly improve, but just judging by what I can hope to do in a day is so subpar. Even just standing in lne at the grocery is agony and I live alone so there is nobody to pick up the slack.
The ladder mishap happened about 2.5 weeks ago. I wasn’t high on the ladder and just misjudged the past rung. It was stupid and costly, but again trying to do the upkeep on my house.
The worst part is my other knee needs surgery too. Would you do this again, let them operate on your other knee, knowing what you know? I have no idea what I will do.
As to uneven ground, I do much better on soft surfaces as opposed to concrete sidewalks.

While I’m not happy with my outcome, I really have improved since that first year. My Patellofemoral partial was March 13, 2017. My first year was difficult, I had a couple of set backs that caused my ROM to get really bad again, and I was sure something was wrong. Standing in line, or a lot of walking was always hard. I did find I walked better, and for longer, when I was in a store. I came to the conclusion that using the shopping cart helped, and, while shopping, it was walk a bit, stop and look at something, walk again, etc., rather than steady walking.

I had a second opinion at 15 months post op, but he found nothing to fix. I had another second opinion just before my second year anniversary, same story, nothing wrong with the xray. This one did order some blood work, but all was well there.

Would I do this again knowing how this one went? Not until I have no choice. What I have now isn’t great, and I do believe something is wrong, because there’s no way how mine feels can be called a success, but it’s better than it was, and it’s manageable. I can live with it, mainly because I don’t want to go through this recovery again until I absolutely have to.

I did find that in my second year I did continue to heal, and my whole leg relaxed, which gave me better ROM, and all around improvement. Stairs are still very difficult for me, though.

@Jockette
I have two active grandsons. I want to be able to walk them into my small town, go to a park with them, walk their property. Friends my age talk about traveling again. None of it is possible for me now. How can an operation that limits us so much be called a success even if on xray it appears OK? How many people would sign up for any operation that took three years to heal from and still be very limiting? Especially when so many people have really successful knee replacements and get back to life?
It’s a crazy outcome and not one we dreamed we’d get. Some days I tell myself to just accept it, other days I’m convinced there is something “wrong.” But if the remedy is another surgery with unknown outcome, plus the odds of a redo working.. yikes. Luckily I like my life, have great kids and family so that helps balance things out. This has taught me the sobering lesson that there are no guarantees. You take a chance and try, but you can’t count on a particular outcome.
This MCL thing is just the next effort to affect change. It’s a long shot.
It’s nice to talk to someone in the same boat, even if it’s not a fun boat to be in.

How can an operation that limits us so much be called a success even if on xray it appears OK?
My first second opinion told me at the beginning of the appointment that not everyone gets a good outcome, doing it over can sometimes make it worse, and some people’s bodies just don’t like the implant. At the time I was annoyed that he would say that, he rushed the appointment and I thought he was just not interested in my case. However, at this point I think those statements might have some merit.

My ROM is decent, and improved way past the first year, but my function isn’t good. Since my X-ray looks good, I think I have a soft tissue or a nerve problem. My surgeon also did a lateral release when he did my replacement, and that’s the area where most of my discomfort still is. I wonder if something went wrong with that.
It’s nice to talk to someone in the same boat, even if it’s not a fun boat to be in.
I agree! :console2:

@Jockette,
My husband was a medical malpractice lawyer, still is. I know from his cases that lots of things happen in surgery that never get discussed or revealed to the patient unless a law suit reveals it. Ironically he sent me to the surgeon who did my partial knee. I don't doubt at all that he's a good surgeon. I just know that nobody gets it right every time. I, like you don't question my knee joint, but feel like the soft tissue has never healed for whatever reason and the pain Dr thinks there is a damaged nerve as well.

With that shot I had Friday the other knee is now wildly painful, no idea why. I'll call the pain Dr tomorrow. Tired of the drama of my knees. I just want them to help me walk, without complaining.
Good think we can holiday shop from a chair at home in these Covid times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Jockette
It’s just past a year for me with my PKR. About a month and a half ago I had a steroid shot in my knee and right after that discovered the ads for Incrediwear braces. I found out that my pain Dr endorses them, but didn’t know that when I ordered mine. I had to buy two sizes to find a solution but the knee brace has changed my life. I wear one 24/7. One size I got is slightly looser so I wear it at night and just around the house, because it has a tendency to slide down my leg. The tighter ones I wear when I garden or walk distances. I am amazed at the change in my knee and because of the shot/braces coming at the same time I‘m not sure what to attribute the improvement to. I would recommend these braces to anyone, I can’t explain the magic. I wouldn’t even describe my knee as painful any more. Awkward and stiff, I doubt it will ever feel “normal” but it lets me engage in things I love again. And no idea if this is permanent but for now, I’m happy. Have other people had success that you know of with these braces?

My OS did mention Incrediwear pre-surgery but I did not try. I am Intrigued now, including for my neurapathy feet, legs. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
Hi @Besoke
I'm glad you've found a brace that helps with your knee. That's good news.

Since it's now longer than a year since your surgery, you might like to consider looking for a second opinion about your knee, from a surgeon who specializes in problem knees. Often, a surgeon like this can spot a problem and a solution that has escaped your original surgeon.

Your second-opinion surgeon should have no connection, either professional or social, with your current surgeon - so that he/she can look at your knee with new eyes, without being influenced by the opinions of your first surgeon.

Would you like us to alter your thread title, now that it's longer than 4 months since your surgery?
Just say what you'd like and we'll change it for you.

That’s great that this is working for you? Keep us posted as time goes on. I had not heard of it until now.

Hello @Celle and @Jockette
The brace I talked about has saved me. I wear it 24/7, rarely taking it off. With it I can walk, slowly though still with a strange gait. I can walk better with the tighter fitting braces but they are almost too tight. My Apple Watch doesn't even recognize my walking as "excercize" so I know I am very slow. Oddly I can use a shovel and haul yard debris, do hard yard work for hours. but standing still or walking is still awkward, uncomfortable and overall less stable. The gardening work makes me tired but I no longer have swelling or have to elevate.I have more energy, more enthusiasm than I have had all year.
But if I take the brace off, even to make my coffee in the morning, I realize how unstable the knee is without it. It feels completely wobbly and very uncomfortable. I don't have "pain" as such, just nothing that feels like a real, stable knee.
I think I will take Celle's advice and try to find another surgeon who doesn't know my Dr which will be pretty impossible but worth trying.
Yes, lets change my title to "I'd never get a partial knee again.". NO, sorry. How about "a Partial knee"
Bev
Here's to a better year ahead for us all!

I've changed your thread title to
'A Partial Knee."

Hello @Jockette
I haven't been on here in the longest time.
My partial knee has never healed. It remains a constant source of pain.. the Incrediwear brace helped for a while but I finally just started calling it my boa constrictor.
Truly both knees are horrible these days.
Has your knee ever improved? I am glad to see you on here warning people about partials.
I'm in so much pain just getting around my house but I feel like I've exhausted the offerings and I sure don't want surgery again. Less faith in a reconstructed knee than the original. I'm 70 years old with other serious health issues.
Not a believer any more.. Some people are very lucky with knee surgery and I am thrilled for them.
Bev

@Besoke Hi Bev, I’m sorry to read that the brace stopped working for you. :console2:

Has your knee ever improved?
I have not improved past where I was at 3 years post op, which at that time, was way better than that awful first year. I just had my 6 year anniversary this month. It’s pretty much the same old, same old.

I fell the day after Christmas, 2022, and landed hard on my PKR. I hoped the fall did enough damage for a surgeon to find a reason to convert it to a total. Ha. Once again, though swollen and bruised, the X-ray looks fine and there’s no reason to do surgery. So, I’m still at the same place. This was my third, second opinion. It took 2 months to heal and it’s back to my particular knee’s normal.

I feel like I've exhausted the offerings and I sure don't want surgery again. Less faith in a reconstructed knee than the original. I'm 70 years old with other serious health issues.
Not a believer any more..
I certainly understand why you feel this way, and I pretty much feel the same way, for me. Mine is only painful in certain situations, and often I am able to avoid those situations. When I can’t, I just try to get on with my day and put it out of my mind.

When we have a bad outcome, it’s hard to trust that a revision will go better, though for some it does.

I actually just had cataract surgery recently and I was not 100% confident, that it would go as planned, because my knee didn’t go as planned. It’s really hard to get past that. But, my cataract surgery was very successful, and I can’t wait to get the other eye done! But, my eye doctor has done “millions“ of these surgeries, as compared to my Ortho surgeon who most likely had not done many Patellofemorals. What a difference lots of experience can make!

Yes, it is good to talk to someone in the same boat. It’s good to hear from you, though I’m sorry the news is not as good as your last updates. :console2:

Sorry to hear that things are so bad.
I had a pkr 5 months ago and still have some pain on stairs.
My surgeon and a physio I saw recently when in hospital for unrelated sepsis, reckon it is my MCL which was stretched pre-op.
Reading your earlier posts I saw that your pain was thought to be MCL at one point.
Is your pain mainly medial? Do you have any tenderness? Is it worse on stairs?
I am trying to strengthen my medial quads.
Just interested in someone who has had similar problems although yours sound much more severe.

@Besoke Hi Bev, I’m sorry to read that the brace stopped working for you. :console2:

I have not improved past where I was at 3 years post op, which at that time, was way better than that awful first year. I just had my 6 year anniversary this month. It’s pretty much the same old, same old.

I fell the day after Christmas, 2022, and landed hard on my PKR. I hoped the fall did enough damage for a surgeon to find a reason to convert it to a total. Ha. Once again, though swollen and bruised, the X-ray looks fine and there’s no reason to do surgery. So, I’m still at the same place. This was my third, second opinion. It took 2 months to heal and it’s back to my particular knee’s normal.

I feel like I've exhausted the offerings and I sure don't want surgery again. Less faith in a reconstructed knee than the original. I'm 70 years old with other serious health issues.
I certainly understand why you feel this way, and I pretty much feel the same way, for me. Mine is only painful in certain situations, and often I am able to avoid those situations. When I can’t, I just try to get on with my day and put it out of my mind.

When we have a bad outcome, it’s hard to trust that a revision will go better, though for some it does.

I actually just had cataract surgery recently and I was not 100% confident, that it would go as planned, because my knee didn’t go as planned. It’s really hard to get past that. But, my cataract surgery was very successful, and I can’t wait to get the other eye done! But, my eye doctor has done “millions“ of these surgeries, as compared to my Ortho surgeon who most likely had not done many Patellofemorals. What a difference lots of experience can make!

Yes, it is good to talk to someone in the same boat. It’s good to hear from you, though I’m sorry the news is not as good as your last updates. :console2:
Hello Again,
So it sounds like you wish you could have surgery. I would have to do both. I just can’t imagine trusting it would work out better. Way too big a gamble for me. It’s tough to accept such diminished mobility too though.

hello again,
it sounds like you would try surgery again.. I would have to have both knees done. I just don’t trust it would go better. That’s a huge leap of faith. I hate accepting this lower level of mobility though too because one knee hurts because it needs surgery and the other one hurts from surgery...Glad your cataract surgery went well!

Hello friends.
I have kept up reading but haven’t posted in a long time. I had my partial knee as I have stated here in Feb, of 2020. So it’s been 4 years now. My knee has never “healed” though on xray the appliance is holding fine. I have never had a day without pain. I saw the PA for a knee surgeon who does revisions and for many reasons, including my other health issues and the fact that the other knee is almost as bad she said they would not operate on me. When she pushed and prodded my knee with the partial replacement I jumped a mile. It’s so tender all over to the point that she ordered labs to check for infection. It looks like the labs do not indicate infection. Do other people experience this level of tenderness of the joint after 4 years? No wonder it hurts to walk if it’s this tender to the touch. It wakes me in the night every single night still. Just can’t believe this is a normal outcome, even for a failed knee.

I saw the PA for a knee surgeon who does revisions
With all of my 3 second opinions, I saw the revision surgeon, not the PA. PAs do not have the level of knowledge that a surgeon has.

When she pushed and prodded my knee with the partial replacement I jumped a mile.

No wonder it hurts to walk if it’s this tender to the touch. It wakes me in the night every single night still. Just can’t believe this is a normal outcome, even for a failed knee.
This level of pain is not normal, and indicates a failed knee.

I’m so sorry your pain is this high. While my PKR is not good, I don’t have that level of pain, which makes it easier to just make do with it.

Are you going to continue to seek other opinions? Do you need help finding a surgeon?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads