THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

You know sometimes it is what it is. You've had the surgery so there's no turning back now. Worry and getting worked up really does nothing good and doesn't help with recovery. Give it some time and see how it goes, use that patience thing you talked about.

Happy the knee compression sleeve is helping somewhat, I think you are turning a corner in the sense that you now realize what you are having to deal with and at some point things might not be perfect but they will be better.
I do wish you all the best.

How strong is the pain on a scale of 1-10 and what do you do in an effort to relieve it?
Is it constant 24/ 7, or only sporadic based on activity?
@Spongebob
On a scale my hip discomfort is a 2-3 as can't tie shoes and I ice take over counter medicine and I only walk at min and knee hurts after but my hip ache is the 1 I'm trying to understand why still aches and then him saying could always be like that surely based on the responses I read here will fade off

Just seems strange that before the surgery I was restricted now I'm post op I'm still restricted and he said that it might not get any better

Three months on I’m not without some discomfort and I can’t tie my shoelaces (so I bought some loafers). However, I am without the pain that kept me awake at night, made me cry walking to the end of the road and stopped me doing things. I still limp and am using two sticks to help. I may never get better than this but it is already better than it was so I try to be philosophical about it and have patience through the journey. Friends say it is life changing, I hope they’re right.

Three months on I’m not without some discomfort and I can’t tie my shoelaces (so I bought some loafers). However, I am without the pain that kept me awake at night, made me cry walking to the end of the road and stopped me doing things. I still limp and am using two sticks to help. I may never get better than this but it is already better than it was so I try to be philosophical about it and have patience through the journey. Friends say it is life changing, I hope they’re right.
I feel exactly the same the pain/discomfort I'm in now is no where near as bad as it was pre op where I was crying with the pain and feeling deppressed all the time and not be able do what I love gym/cycling/swimming its just frustrating that I have had the op and I still can't do the things I love because of the discomfort I'm in but I know that the discomfort is only temporary what did your friends say say about it ?

There have been several replies that address your knee pain. You might want to go back through and read the replies. Please release your desperation to get to the gym. If you worked out regularly before your THR, I am sure it is difficult for you to not be working out. But you will be able to work out after your hip has healed. My guess is that you had difficulty relaxing long before you had the surgery. This recovery period gives you an opportunity to work on relaxing. I empathize with you. It was difficult for me to “do nothing,” but I have learned to enjoy it. I realize that I am 40 years older than you, but some things are true, no matter what age one is.

Best wishes to you during your continued recovery. I hope you will try to slow down a bit and be kind to yourself.

There have been several replies that address your knee pain. You might want to go back through and read the replies. Please release your desperation to get to the gym. If you worked out regularly before your THR, I am sure it is difficult for you to not be working out. But you will be able to work out after your hip has healed. My guess is that you had difficulty relaxing long before you had the surgery. This recovery period gives you an opportunity to work on relaxing. I empathize with you. It was difficult for me to “do nothing,” but I have learned to enjoy it. I realize that I am 40 years older than you, but some things are true, no matter what one’s age.

best wishes to you during your continued recovery. Try to slow down a bit and be kind to yourself.
So will it all be worth it in the end in that respect I mean the pain fading off and getting back to things I love

Yes, it will definitely be worth it. I think that when your hip heals properly, the pain will go away, your hip will be stronger, and you will have even more enjoyment doing the things you love.

My friends said it took 9 months to a year before they got back to normal. Whatever normal means really because I know I was a long way from being normal for a long time before surgery. I’ve started doing water based exercise and been on the bike at the gym for a few minutes. I am doing some Pilates type exercises and I walk about two miles a day. I hadn’t been doing any of that before so I expect that I will get stronger and be able to do more with time. I’m probably older than you so I might not have the same expectations of fitness.
And remind yourself that the recovery will take time.

As someone pointed out, there’s no going back however things pan out. I guess in the end we have to learn to live with what is and what might me and put what was in the past. I try each day to find small things to be grateful for that make me happy. My dad and my sister never got that chance. So I consider myself to be lucky to have been able to have an operation to improve my quality of life. They weren’t so lucky.

@Mojo333 what do you think from what my os said today I personally think he's been cautious saying the pain may never go but I honestly think from all the threads I have had on here that my pain will fade off and I will get my life back to do the things I love and make me happy

@Layla hi so based on what my os said I honestly think that he is wrong and my pain in my hip and knee will fade off and I will be able to do all things I love pain free in the future (soon)

I am 6 1/2 months out and I have suffered glute pain since surgery, I have come to terms to the fact it is part of my healing process as my body gets stronger.
I am able to do so much more than before surgery and the pain is different than before surgery, bearable 0 - 4 depending on the day.
As with you, my surgeon and my physio can’t give me a time line for when the glute pain might disappear.
I started training my dog in agility a month ago and my friends say I have improved so much, I was limping when I first started back, five weeks later I am running with my dog. The activity helps me mentally, but it can fire up the pain in my glutes but also can sitting around doing nothing, so it is better for me to get out now and carry on with life.
You ask a lot of repreated questions and I sense you are dwelling a lot on the pain, I have done this in the past, when you focus your energy on the pain it makes the pain stronger, for me what broke the habit was a death in the family, my mind was focused else where, my pain was less as I wasn’t dwelling on it.
I hope you are able to refocus your mind and do some things you enjoy. There will be up and down days, I have them both.

I am 6 1/2 months out and I have suffered glute pain since surgery, I have come to terms to the fact it is part of my healing process as my body gets stronger.
I am able to do so much more than before surgery and the pain is different than before surgery, bearable 0 - 4 depending on the day.
As with you, my surgeon and my physio can’t give me a time line for when the glute pain might disappear.
I started training my dog in agility a month ago and my friends say I have improved so much, I was limping when I first started back, five weeks later I am running with my dog. The activity helps me mentally, but it can fire up the pain in my glutes but also can sitting around doing nothing, so it is better for me to get out now and carry on with life.
You ask a lot of repreated questions and I sense you are dwelling a lot on the pain, I have done this in the past, when you focus your energy on the pain it makes the pain stronger, for me what broke the habit was a death in the family, my mind was focused else where, my pain was less as I wasn’t dwelling on it.
I hope you are able to refocus your mind and do some things you enjoy. There will be up and down days, I have them both.
But will the pain fade that's all I want to know as it stands I have had the op and I am still restricted

Spongebob….no one can guarantee you anything in life. You’re going to need to accept that. We can all talk to you about personal experiences, knowledge, and statistics, but you’ll not find anyone who can make a guarantee about your future, with your hip or anything else. This includes your surgeon. There is nothing sinister here. Just people who realize that life is not always perfect or predictable and to make statements to that effect about the future would be wrong.

You have done the right thing by having the surgery. It has already improved your life. You are early in your recovery and there is plenty of time for things to improve more. It’s likely things will continue to improve if you practice the “go slow” approach that you’re doing now. Keep your positive attitude that’s in there somewhere. Don’t focus on what’s still not perfect about your hip. Think about the things that are improved. A level 2-3 pain or discomfort level at your stage is perfectly normal. Take some paracetamol and it should improve. Find things to do you enjoy. Get together with friends. Go out to dinner. See a movie. You need to do some things besides worry about your hip.

Spongebob….no one can guarantee you anything in life. You’re going to need to accept that. We can all talk to you about personal experiences, knowledge, and statistics, but you’ll not find anyone who can make a guarantee about your future, with your hip or anything else. This includes your surgeon. There is nothing sinister here. Just people who realize that life is not always perfect or predictable and to make statements to that effect about the future would be wrong.

You have done the right thing by having the surgery. It has already improved your life. You are early in your recovery and there is plenty of time for things to improve more. It’s likely things will continue to improve if you practice the “go slow” approach that you’re doing now. Keep your positive attitude that’s in there somewhere. Don’t focus on what’s still not perfect about your hip. Think about the things that are improved. A level 2-3 pain or discomfort level at your stage is perfectly normal. Take some paracetamol and it should improve. Find things to do you enjoy. Get together with friends. Go out to dinner. See a movie. You need to do some things besides worry about your hip.
But it will fade off more the pain ? To allow me to do more things than I can do now then in your opinion

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom