THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

I have a appointment with my OS on Thursday just to make sure all is ok
Best News Ever! You need this.
I am hoping you receive reassurance all is well and you can settle that in your mind, moving forward in patience with a realistic understanding of all you've physically endured and the time it takes to completely heal.
Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

I have a appointment with my OS on Thursday just to make sure all is ok
Best News Ever! You need this.
I am hoping you receive reassurance all is well and you can settle that in your mind, moving forward in patience with a realistic understanding of all you've physically endured and the time it takes to completely heal.
Good Luck. Please keep us posted.
That's the thing I am struggling to get clear in my mind that I have had this operation and I'm still in pain that's what's making me think what's the point in having it done but I have to understand that the pain is TEMPORARY!! and will fade off

Yes, you really do need to understand that.
I don't know if you're squeamish, I am and couldn't even make it through the animated version, but if you can handle watching what's done during the surgery on Youtube, I think you'd have a better understanding of the pain we have as we s-l-o-w-l-y heal.

Ask your surgeon if he will confirm that the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process, resulting in some discomfort / pain lasting weeks to months post op. It can also feel bothersome as result of your changing gait. Remember, our gait changes as our joint deteriorates, then changes once again after surgery as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. There's a whole lot going on there underneath the surface as your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing s-l-o-w-l-y healing.
Keep smiling and carry on, it's all going to be ok. :ok:

Yes, you really do need to understand that.
I don't know if you're squeamish, I am and couldn't even make it through the animated version, but if you can handle watching what's done during the surgery on Youtube, I think you'd have a better understanding of the pain we have as we s-l-o-w-l-y heal.

Ask your surgeon if he will confirm that the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process, resulting in some discomfort / pain lasting weeks to months post op. It can also feel bothersome as result of your changing gait. Remember, our gait changes as our joint deteriorates, then changes once again after surgery as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. There's a whole lot going on there underneath the surface as your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing s-l-o-w-l-y healing.
Keep smiling and carry on, it's all going to be ok. :ok:
So you think it will all fade off eventually

YES! I do....and I think I can safely say that everyone that's posted to you feels the same.
You have to chill :ice:and have patience:bored: You're in it for the long haul, like it or not.
So try to relax and enjoy the ride. Life goes on. Enjoy it!

Please make a list on paper of all your questions that you have asked here and take them to your OS appointment. It is easy to forget what to ask unless we write it down. Hope all goes well.

You may even consider recording the visit, or at the very least bring someone along to help you remember all that was said. If you record it, each time you're feeling anxious or needing reassurance, you can listen to the recording.
I do agree with, lanstan, above...that it is easy to forget some of what you hear at those appointments.

You may even consider recording the visit, or at the very least bring someone along to help you remember all that was said. If you record it, each time you're feeling anxious or needing reassurance, you can listen to the recording.
I do agree with, lanstan, above...that it is easy to forget some of what you hear at those appointments.
But you honesty think all my worries are for nothing really as all the discomfort I am in will all settle down in time to give me pain free living ?

Well I have been to see my os today and he basically won't give me any assurances on if my pain will settle down saying its not a normal joint now and also he said my knee pain could be related to the trauma of surgery and the change in gait but basically would not 100% committee to any of it all he said at the end was my body adjusting to new hip and all could take time (prob understandable that he can't say yes) he got me to sit on the couch and i lifted my operated leg up and i got so far and it was painful I said will that ease off he said he didn't know the pain in my hip may always be there?? Also i said about still struggling to tie my shoes as it feels tight to which his reply was thats good as i dont want you to discolate your hip or pop it out but like people on here said Based on all the comments I have had on here by you all saying my knee and hip pain will ease off for a PAIN FREE living surely he's just being on the cautious side by saying what he said?? as he don't want to say it will (even though it will) to cover himself

He's a doctor, not God, no one can give you the hard fast answer you are seeking. We can only advise you. You went to the doctor, he told you much of what we already told you.
Did you receive your knee compression sleeve? Also there's a gel you can use on your knee that might ease the pain called Voltaren. It has Ibuprofen in it so you have to follow the directions on the package and not use too much.
From here you need to go day to day, you will not wake up and just be pain free, this is a marathon not a sprint.

Hello and Happy Thursday!
Please understand that all we can go by is what we're told by our OS's and their care teams, what we read through our own research, what we've experienced personally and what the majority have expressed here.

No one can tell you with 100% certainty that every aspect of you surgery / recovery will be successful. Nothing lasts forever. Not a single one of us knows if we'll be here tomorrow, a month, or year from now, so why languish over this at such an early date post op? At this point you're likely worrying needlessly given you're only two and a half months post op. As difficult as it is, all you can do is give this more time. This will NEVER match your natural hip before it deteriorated, but through surgery it gets pretty close. You will have to accept the knee pain for now and gauge your activity accordingly, rest and ice often and if the discomfort / pain is significant address a plan for pain management with your OS or Primary Care Physician with the hope that given more time it will slowly ease and dissipate completely.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

Please try to distract yourself daily with work, family, friends and the responsibilities of daily living. Pain always seems to be minimized while we're busy. Hopefully staying active will help keep the discomfort or limitations away from the forefront of your mind.

He's a doctor, not God, no one can give you the hard fast answer you are seeking. We can only advise you. You went to the doctor, he told you much of what we already told you.
Did you receive your knee compression sleeve? Also there's a gel you can use on your knee that might ease the pain called Voltaren. It has Ibuprofen in it so you have to follow the directions on the package and not use too much.
From here you need to go day to day, you will not wake up and just be pain free, this is a marathon not a sprint.
I am wearing my new compression sleeve thanks for that it does help also he basically said that the pain I'm in may never go away which to me seems ludicrous surely after a period of time (maybe a year or less) it will subside as thats the point in having it done i know there will be little niggles here and there well all the advice on here said that it will subside and to be honest I believe what people say on here as they have gone through it

i know there will be little niggles here and there well all the advice on here said that it will subside and to be honest I believe what people say on here as they have gone through it
Good! Then hold onto that hope and get on with life to the best of your ability. You will grow stronger and steadier on your feet with each passing month. Plan something fun and entertaining for yourself this weekend to ease your worried mind. It will do you good! :ok:

Hello and Happy Thursday!
Please understand that all we can go by is what we're told by our OS's and their care teams, what we read through our own research, what we've experienced personally and what the majority have expressed here.

No one can tell you with 100% certainty that every aspect of you surgery / recovery will be successful. Nothing lasts forever. Not a single one of us knows if we'll be here tomorrow, a month, or year from now, so why languish over this at such an early date post op? At this point you're likely worrying needlessly given you're only two and a half months post op. As difficult as it is, all you can do is give this more time. This will NEVER match your natural hip before it deteriorated, but through surgery it gets pretty close. You will have to accept the knee pain for now and gauge your activity accordingly, rest and ice often and if the discomfort / pain is significant address a plan for pain management with your OS or Primary Care Physician with the hope that given more time it will slowly ease and dissipate completely.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

Please try to distract yourself daily with work, family, friends and the responsibilities of daily living. Pain always seems to be minimized while we're busy. Hopefully staying active will help keep the discomfort or limitations away from the forefront of your mind.
The point I'm trying to get is that after this surgery surely the purpose of it is to give me my life back ie pain free living to do all the things i couldn't before. Not have the surgery and then him say that the discomfort I'm in may never go away surely that is defecting the object?

Surely as the months go by the pain will fade as my body adjusts to new implant and my new gait and my muscles get stronger? And I will be able to do all the things I couldn't do before. When I came out of his office I honestly felt like crying I felt drained because him saying the pain I'm in may never go but he did say he does not know what will happen to me I'm hoping all the lovely comments I read on here are right and I make a full recovery back to doing all the things I love

How strong is the pain on a scale of 1-10 and what do you do in an effort to relieve it?
Is it constant 24/ 7, or only sporadic based on activity?
@Spongebob

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom