TKR ski_bum's Recovery Thread

Awesome news and a huge congrats on getting back to the slopes and skiing. You are an inspiration for many, myself included.
I am itching to get out myself and will get the rust off my edges and put a coat of wax on my skis very soon so I will be ready when that day comes.
Thanks for posting.

Great news about the lack of infection. So happy for you! You may find things improving with some more time and your work with a good therapist. Sometimes it just takes a while for everything to settle completely. It's why we tell people to give their new joints a full year.
@Jamie
Thank you so much for all your help & wishes.
Don

@SkiBum
Good Morning from Silver Star Mountain Resort, Vernon BC. Canada.
A nice relaxing run away from the Crowds and lunch time.
Knees are working, still some pain, mostly when I take my skis off, lol.
Tomorrow visit with the Surgeon to get results of the Biopsy.
Hope you are skiing, 55 days of skiing this season.
Don

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bhZxLmSZDkS9FTxi9
I am so jealous.... I've been waiting for conditions to improve here so I can feel more comfortable about skiing. We have almost no winter this year. The temps have been only marginal for snowmaking and my local resorts aren't fully opened. So glad to read that there's no infection.

@SkiBum
Good Morning from Silver Star Mountain Resort, Vernon BC. Canada.
A nice relaxing run away from the Crowds and lunch time.
Knees are working, still some pain, mostly when I take my skis off, lol.
Tomorrow visit with the Surgeon to get results of the Biopsy.
Hope you are skiing, 55 days of skiing this season.
Don

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bhZxLmSZDkS9FTxi9
I am so jealous.... I've been waiting for conditions to improve here so I can feel more comfortable about skiing. We have almost no winter this year. The temps have been only marginal for snowmaking and my local resorts aren't fully opened. So glad to read that there's no infection.
@SkiBum
Sorry you are not having a good ski season.
BC. Canada has had an early start and very good conditions now that the cold weather left.
I have 55 1/2 days so far. By noon the knees are talking.
Hope you get out skiing soon.
Don

How's the ski season going in Canada? How is life? How are you?
I hope all is well and you're enjoying your time on the slopes.
A great month of March to you!
@ski_bum

How's the ski season going in Canada? How is life? How are you?
I hope all is well and you're enjoying your time on the slopes.
A great month of March to you!
@ski_bum
Layla, Thanks for asking.
We are having a good ski season, more snow than a lot of mountains.
I am skiing 1/2 days.
I am not without pain in left knee & stiffness in both knees, completely off Meds.
Was favoring the left knee while skiing and the PT said the Quad muscle was not rebuilding so I said the knee equally and in 3 weeks the muscle is normal.
Left IT Band is not painful now.
Wednesday is my last blood tests watching for infection.
Family Dr. said he may order new Nuclear scans as some say White blood cells do not detect Osteomyelitis.
Dr. Visit the 16th. March.
Will update.
And thank you so much for reaching out.
Don

Thank you for the update! Will look forward to your next after your March 16th appointment.
Wishing you good news on that day!
@ski_bum

This is a good report. Sometimes progress is rather slow, but it sounds like you are continuing to move forward. It’s great that you’re able to enjoy this year’s ski season!

I think I am posting my update in the right spot.
One year for my left knee March 31st. 2023.
Have had issues from the first day of second knee replacement, stiffness in hands, toes, knees right after second (left) knee replacement, pain in the knees, hip & back.
Had Xray's of my hands checking for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Blood works for possible allergies to metals & knee parts.
Then had Nuclear scans which were inconclusive so they did White blood Cell Marrow study which resulted in Radiologist report finding.

IMPRESSION:
Focal osteomyelitis involving left medial femoral condyle adjacent to medial margin of femoral component of left knee arthroplasty.

I then had monthly multiple blood testing for 3 months, results all negative.
Next I had Body Fluid Biopsy from left side of the knee, negative, no growth.

Ended with Fungal Infection where Biopsy was taken inspite knee was cleaned prior.
My problem is I have so many Medical People in my life, some who care about me, lol.
Dr. friend says Osteomyelitis can not be detected by blood work, fluid biopsy but must do a bone biopsy.
Family Dr. changed his opinion plus 2 Surgeons say there is no Focal Osteomyelitis.
Three Nuclear Nurses, agree with Radiologist report.
March 16th. 2023 visit with Family Doctor and after discussing all reports he agreed and has booked further Nuclear Scanning of Radiologist's reported area.
Left knee, O, if only it could be undone!

First knee 22 months has stiffness and IT Band popping but very little pain.

Will update after Nuclear scans.
Thank you all for thoughts & wishes.
Don

Last edited:
Wow....that's a lot of testing. Don't you just hate it when the doctors can't agree on the results? What's a patient supposed to do? I do hope that you have a few of the doctors that you trust completely. Sometimes it can be really difficult to get to the bottom of a problem. I think you're right to explore every option possible, though. I know it's a pain, but hopefully something will prove conclusive here soon.

Sorry for all this uncertainty and pain.
It is really hard when you are struggling and have such different opinions.
I have read a bit about scans and post- operative infection as I got very interested with my own recent sepsis. It seems it can be very hard to detect as knees can stay 'hot' on nuclear scans well past 2 years post- op and even ip to 5 years.

First, I am sorry you continue to struggle with pain...and not just in your knee. Pain is physically draining and mentally exhausting. It produces limitations causing us to weigh out what we can comfortably fit into each day.
Multiple doctors poking / prodding, assessing and evaluating, then scratching their heads in uncertainty must feel overwhelming at times. My heart goes out to you. I do pray the origin of the pain is discovered soon, a plan formulated that leads to resolution, or treatment that allows you to remain active and feel fulfilled. Thankfully you're able to engage in the skiing that seems to be a big part of your life.
Thanks for taking the time to update. Please keep us in the loop. We care.
@ski_bum

Multiple doctors poking / prodding, assessing and evaluating, then scratching their heads in uncertainty must feel overwhelming at times.
But at least they are making a huge effort to figure it out. I wish my own issues had this much firepower directed at them.

With this many people pursuing a fix, you should be hopeful. At least you have a strong team on your side.

:wave: Happy One Year Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you have a great weekend and Spring. :)
@ski_bum
Layla, thank you. You are the best.
Last week I had 3 days of Nuclear Scanning but have not received the results yet.
I will update as soon as I know.
Fingers crossed for no Osteomyelitis.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie