THR Diagnosed with bilateral acetabular protrusion at 37 - feeling a little lost!

I went to a private hospital after I’d been on the NHS waiting list for three years. The consultant could access my X-ray, although as they were old I had more while I was there but as yours are recent it will probably be ok. It’s good to check with the secretary though. Good luck with your appointment.

Great that you are seeing Mr Zahn! Do try and speak to his medical secretary about the x-rays. I'm pretty sure he will be able to access them but it's best to know ahead of time.

Let us know how it goes!
I've just spoken to her, she said they will be able to access them, she's going to call me a few days before the appointment to sort. Phew!

Wow that is interesting, I'm intruiged now as to what medical dramas you have starred in!! That is amazing what you have picked up just from doing that!
Haha, that was a tongue-in-cheek joke about how many hip xrays I've seen since going down the THR path. Not a "real" tv doctor.

Thank you very much for this, I have looked at my x ray and I can see my femoral heads are all rather jaggard in places, I wonder what causes this to happen.
Unfortunately it's likely just your genetics. It's fairly common in THR patients, although it happens in different ways and at different paces. The misshapen joint grinds down the cartilage and then the bones start to make contact and the pain begins!

Wow that is interesting, I'm intruiged now as to what medical dramas you have starred in!! That is amazing what you have picked up just from doing that!
Haha, that was a tongue-in-cheek joke about how many hip xrays I've seen since going down the THR path. Not a "real" tv doctor.

Thank you very much for this, I have looked at my x ray and I can see my femoral heads are all rather jaggard in places, I wonder what causes this to happen.
Unfortunately it's likely just your genetics. It's fairly common in THR patients, although it happens in different ways and at different paces. The misshapen joint grinds down the cartilage and then the bones start to make contact and the pain begins!
Haha I totally missed your humour there! Oops!

My OS I saw said it was my Ankylosing Spondylitis I have that has done this to my hips, something about the bone softening and inflammation. To be honest I struggled to take in what he said as he didn't seem to make much sense to me!

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my x rays, really appreciated

Hi @Jaycey just wanted to say thank you for your recommendation i saw Dr Zahn Friday who was very good and explained things much better than my hospital did. Though not much closer to a resolution as everything is hanging on my rheumatologist and she is useless!

Sometimes the medical wheels are slow to turn. Perhaps Dr. Zahn could directly communicate your hip situation to your rheumatologist. It's amazing how quickly things can happen when the communication is directly doctor to doctor. If all else fails, perhaps a new consultation with a new rheumatologist is in your future. <Big Sigh>
@moonie8404

@moonie8404 So glad you got in to see Zahn. I found him so caring and thorough. He never had any problems with all my questions was always there post op if I had a concern.

I agree with Hip4life - have Zahn call and talk to your rheumatologist. They would need to talk if there is any complication that Zahn should be aware of.

Did he say how long the wait would be?

Hi @Hip4life and @Jaycey.

Nearly a year on and not much further on. Sad news is Dr Zahn is leaving William Harvey Hospital and I've been discharged from his care.

He gave me his private secretary's number ashe was going to try set him himself up at Onr Ashford on a NHS Choose and Book but after leaving a message a man called me back telling me quite rudely he could help me as I was an NHS patient! It is still early days so he hadn't probably sorted logistics yet and he is has to work out his time at William Harvey.

However now I'm without an orthopaedic surgeon, with really bad active inflammation in my hips, I had a really bad flare in January and I'm still recovering from it. Dr Zahn still keeps saying he wants to preserve my natural hips as long as possible but still my rheumatologist isn't listening. He wrote to her last month and I saw her, she is arranging another MRI and Is passing me on to another rheumatologist now for a second opinion, problem is I've now developed a chronic UTI and I'm on long term high dose antibiotics (diagnosed privately as NHS is not equipped to deal with CUTIs), however my rheumatologist isn't really on board with this so it's messing things up even more.

I'm so fed up, I don't know what to do now about my hips, being discharged from the hospital even though I will need double hip replacement, Mr Zahn is the only doctor who has ever shown concern and care and now it looks like i've lost him :(

Can anyone provide advice where I should go from here? I'm stuck going back to GP to get referral to my hospital now even though they also discharged me with this condition. I feel totally let down by the NHS at the moment.

@moonie8404 Can you see Zahn at Kent and Canterbury Hospital? Or ask his secretary which NHS Trust you should be referred to in order to stay with him.

@moonie8404 Can you see Zahn at Kent and Canterbury Hospital? Or ask his secretary which NHS Trust you should be referred to in order to stay with him.
Hi Jaycey, Mr Zahn himself gave me the details to hopefully get seen by him under this new clinic but these details and instructions he gave me haven't worked as they refuse to speak to me as I'm not NHS!

So I can't speak to anyone to find out. I left a message with his NHS secretary Heather but I've not heard back from her.

I left a message with his NHS secretary Heather but I've not heard back from her.
Let Heather know that the details Zahn gave you did not work. You might also leave a message for his private practice secretary. As you know, he is very responsive. If he knows you are having problems reconnecting with him he will take action.

I left a message with his NHS secretary Heather but I've not heard back from her.
Let Heather know that the details Zahn gave you did not work. You might also leave a message for his private practice secretary. As you know, he is very responsive. If he knows you are having problems reconnecting with him he will take action.
Thank you for replying. I did let Heather know, and I did leave a message for his private secretary but I got that awful call back from the gentleman, however I think I am going to call again but not mention on my message why I am calling!

I am hoping Heather might reply but she couldn't offer any help for me at the moment with it all. I'm just at a total loss how I can just be left like this really.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom