THR Game of Life 411's THR recovery

@Life 411

Country
United States United States
Thank you for reading my thread fellow BoneSmarties. My vitals are as follows:
  • 55 years old
  • Very fit and active prior to surgery
  • Favorite activities include Beach Volleyball, Hiking, Biking, Driving Fast Cars, Travel and of course My Family!
  • Diagnosed arthritic hip October 2022.
  • Decided not to wait and replace hip while I was still fit and before my body compensated causing additional problems.
  • RTHR performed January 23rd, 2023
  • ABMS (Anterior Based Muscle Sparing), Titanium with Ceramic Ball and Plastic-lined Cup
I am retired and documenting what I learn and experience in my hip journey to hopefully help others.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on that new hip. Your decision to get this done quickly is a good one. Waiting and limping around can impact many areas of the body.

I'm certain you will get back to that active lifestyle once that hip is healed. Meanwhile, I'll leave you a bit of reading.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I did what you have done. I scheduled my LHR long before I was limping a lot. I had pain for a year and talked to so many people who said dont wait. I am so glad I did. I think my recover was much easier because of it. It still does take some time. I am 6 months out and now I can do everything I want without pain. I have some pain when I lie on the Left side but found instead of taking any Tylenol or Ibuprofen I lie on an Ice pack for 30 minutes every night. It is 12in x12in. It takes any discomfort away and I get to sleep right after I ice. I have learned to love my ice pack and hated icing anything before my surgery

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well as you hit this milestone. We'd love to read an update if you have time to share one.
Looks like you lead an active life. I'll bet you can't wait to get back to all you love without the pain.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Life 411

Dear Life,
Welcome and congrats on the new hardware. My friend's husband at age 40 needed hip replacement after many years of karate. Best to get it done when you are younger (if needed).
Your journey begins, good idea documenting your progress, I've pretty much done that here with a variety of posts over the last year. I'm glad I did cause sometimes I don't remember the exact timeline of when I could do what, etc.
You've found an amazing group of knowledgeable "hippies."
Happy healing.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on that new hip. Your decision to get this done quickly is a good one. Waiting and limping around can impact many areas of the body.

I'm certain you will get back to that active lifestyle once that hip is healed. Meanwhile, I'll leave you a bit of reading.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
I have to say, I love the way the staff approach THR in this forum. Having already participated in other forums, they often miss some of the key message that I agree are so important. For example the two from your message which I have seen repeated on many threads:

1)
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“

2)

Many Thanks!

I hope you're doing well as you hit this milestone. We'd love to read an update if you have time to share one.
Looks like you lead an active life. I'll bet you can't wait to get back to all you love without the pain.
@Life 411
Thank you. As I am new to BoneSmart, what is the preferred way to provide these updates? Adding a new post to this thread? Or do I update my original post so all my updates are visible there? Or?

Hi there, Happy Friday!
Please update your recovery right here, on your thread, by typing in the first open / blank space next to your avatar.

As always, feel free to move around the forum reading others threads, commenting if you choose or offering messages of support. I hope this helps. If you have other questions, please let us know.
Have a nice weekend!
@@Life 411

Hello BoneSmarties!

I hope I am doing this correctly by posting a new thread. Ever since my surgery, my LEFT elbow has been stiff and painful Mind you, I had RIGHT THR.

My guesses are that either it was from surgery because they perform this operation with you lying on your side, so I may have been lying on that arm the entire procedure. Second guess is that I am a side sleeper and normally flop from side to side several times per night, but since THR I have slept 95% on that one side. A third guess was that maybe use of a crutch the first couple weeks might have done something, but now I'm walking unassisted for at least a week. Or maybe it is all of the above. I actually walked with it in a sling yesterday because just walking with it hanging down is very painful.

I've been icing and started applying Diclofenac topically.

Anyone else experience this? Cause? Resolution?

I have a sort of sore sensation inside my left elbow which I have had since before surgery (right hip). I am still using sticks to alleviate my limp and was using sticks for the best part of two years before the op. I only really notice it at night and luckily, unlike yours, it doesn’t stop me doing anything. I have just assumed that it is from the pressure I put through that arm to accommodate the weak right hip. I am hoping it will eventually go away.
I will be interested to hear the responses you get since they might also answer my issue.
Take care.

I am sorry you are dealing with a stiff and painful elbow. My guess is the extra strain you may have placed on your arm, opposite your hip, using the crutch early on is the cause. I would try OTC meds if you're no longer on anything and any other self care measures that seem to bring relief. If you haven't had your post op yet, you can inquire about it then, or if it continues to bother you, contact your PCP for advice. Hopefully the care you're taking brings you relief soon.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Happy Friday!
@@Life 411

Hi @@Life 411 ! I would vote "all of the above" because almost anything makes my elbows sore! I have a few years on you, but the body does tend to fall apart on us:tantrum: If I sleep for more than a couple of hours with my arm bent, my elbow almost won't move out of its "stuck" position, and is sore when it does. Can you get it out from under you when you sleep (you know, before you go to sleep lol), see if that does anything? I hope this resolves soon!

And yes, you posted perfectly correctly, way to go!!

Hi @@Life 411 ! I would vote "all of the above" because almost anything makes my elbows sore! I have a few years on you, but the body does tend to fall apart on us:tantrum: If I sleep for more than a couple of hours with my arm bent, my elbow almost won't move out of its "stuck" position, and is sore when it does. Can you get it out from under you when you sleep (you know, before you go to sleep lol), see if that does anything? I hope this resolves soon!

And yes, you posted perfectly correctly, way to go!!
Love your handle @zauberflöte . Very clever.

Hello! I had my RTHR done the same day! Same procedure too. Hoping to ditch my cane next week. Good days and bad days. When I had my left side done, above my elbow on the right was so painful for many months following surgery. I am convinced they did something to my right arm during that surgery as there were days it hurt so bad I could not lift anything. This time around, luckily my left arm does not have that problem at all. I have been dealing with nerve pain, numbness and burning still in my right lower outer thigh, which I did not have when I had my left side done. Hoping this will go away soon, but sounds like it can linger for months afterwards.

Last edited:
I developed terrible elbow and wrist pain the first few weeks post-op. When I ditched the walker for poles, things improved. When I ditched the poles, the pain disappeared. Hope your elbow pain only temporary, too!

While on vacation I watched several folks walking with poles, I think I'd like to get some for hiking. Especially when walking dogs in the woods. Where did you get them? I looked on Amazon but there are so many to choose from.

While on vacation I watched several folks walking with poles, I think I'd like to get some for hiking. Especially when walking dogs in the woods. Where did you get them? I looked on Amazon but there are so many to choose from.
I got mine off Amazon. There are a ton! I was taking mine to hike the Inca Trail in Peru before hip surgery and I'm kind of tall, so I just picked one with a lot of positive reviews. They were pretty inexpensive as I recall. I don't think there's a whole lot of difference so long as you are not super tall or short.

One thing I noticed after my back surgery 14 years ago, and later my hip replacement is how interconnected the joints and muscles in our bodies are. I recall right after my hip surgery how my knee, ankle, and shoulder were really sore---something I didn't expect. Another example---When I resumed hiking at elevation about 9 months after my hip replacement I developed a sore knee on the opposite side that required PT to correct, even though my original hip replacement went smoothly with no PT.

Hopefully after a bit of time your pain will no longer be there as you become more smooth and natural with your movements. I use a pole when I hike at elevation and agree that Amazon is a great place to find a good one. If you read the reviews you can find one that matches your budget and the things you will use it for. I'd suggest not spending too much at first until you decide if it works for you. As I mentioned, I have found that a single pole works well for me. My son, on the other hand, likes to use 2. The key is to be sure it is adjusted to the right height and works with your natural gait. Be sure it doesn't cause you to do lots of twisting or put unusual pressure on your body as you walk, or you will create more pain. Good luck with your recovery!! :flwrysmile:

@Life 411
This week was 5 weeks post op and I'm pretty happy with where I am so far.

At my first post op visit 2 1/2 weeks after surgery, I was cleared to ditch the TEDs compression socks. Those kept me dependent on other members of the family, so when I was liberated, I burned them - literally - to celebrate (and for a laugh).

On my 4 week anniversary, after 10 days of practice and easing into it, I was able to get into my teeny Alfa Romeo 4C and take it for a spin!

Starting this 5th week post op, I continue to walk about 5 miles per day and I started alternating that with 20m stationary bike rides at low/no resistance. I also started upper body weights no more than 15lb weights, but I felt sore the next day. Muscles atrophy so quickly!

Yesterday I said 'hi' to some of my sand volleyball buddies and watched them play (longingly). I took a few ginger turns around the courts on the sand to see how it felt to walk on a surface that gives way. Will eventually have to reacclimate to the sand.

I continue to be amazed at progress so far, yet realize how long I have to go before I can return to the activities I love. My next post op is next week at 6 weeks and it is the last one with my surgeon for a whole year. So I will be grilling him on things, but especially when I can return to certain activities especially because my prosthetic relies entirely on bone ingrowth (no screws or cement, just press fit until the bone grows into it).

At this point I've created about 10 videos related to my hip journey to share and help others.

So I will be grilling him on things, but especially when I can return to certain activities especially because my prosthetic relies entirely on bone ingrowth (no screws or cement, just press fit until the bone grows into it).
A good reason to s-l-o-w your roll. If I am understanding you, you're riding the stationary bike on the days you're not walking five miles? Five miles feels pretty ambitious to me. Wondering how you're handling those walks and whether you're still icing?

As far as sand volleyball / walking on sand, a word of caution, your gait changes while walking on sand. It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased
stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

Five weeks out is still very early in the entire scheme of things. Lots of healing still happening.
Go slow now to go fast later. :wink:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom