THR Ocean’s second hip recovery

Thank you @Layla, gosh, six months and three months, I feel like I am steeped in hip stuff!

My knee is improving, the massage and heat are soothing it. I used ice starting off and the physio said that was correct for the first few days but as it’s a ligament, as opposed to muscular, heat would promote healing.

I seem to have aches and pains travelling to different locations all over the bottom half of my back and my legs/knees - these biomechanics need to sort themselves out sharpish.

My hips are strong though so it’s just my body getting used to the new posture and gait. I never knew that walking was so complex.

Thank you to everyone on here, I don’t feel so alone with all of you for company on this adventure.

Take care everyone x

Thankfully your knee is improving. Hang in there, brighter days on the way with your back hopefully as your body continues to adjust to your two new hips.
@Ocean

My knee has improved to be replaced by pain in my upper thigh when I walk, again in lefty, the first surgery hip. The physio said it’s ‘probably’ muscular so I have been told to cut back on the walking and exercise and use a crutch again.
It seems that righty is weak so I have to do an exercise to strengthen it so as to stop putting stress on lefty. The physio I saw last was head of department and she queried leg length difference but won’t measure yet.
It does seem that I’m going backwards but I’m keeping the faith that it will all come good with more time.
Again, thank you to everyone on here xx

Ocean,
Setbacks are never easy to accept but most of us have had them, one step forward, two back. Early days I just wished for two straight days to feel "normal."
Keep the faith, I'm sure it will resolve given more time.
All my best.

:hi: and good morning (for me)
Gee, I am sure this is frustrating for you.

walking and exercise and use a crutch again.
It seems that righty is weak so I have to do an exercise to strengthen it so as to stop putting stress on lefty.
Wondering what exercise you have to do with left hip.
The physio I saw last was head of department and she queried leg length difference but won’t measure yet.
Did they determine when they may try to do this? Which leg is suspected to be shorter?

Wondering what exercise you have to do with left hip.
I have to stand on the right leg and move the left leg around like a clock just holding on to the work top for balance. Because the right leg was wobbly and I have noticed after a week of this it’s less wobbly.

I was also told to do bridges, which are really helpful for my back muscles, and mini squats.
Did they determine when they may try to do this? Which leg is suspected to be shorter?
They have said that they don’t measure until six months, we’ll it’s just over six months from left, and three months from right and it’s the right one that feels shorter so I think they should measure now because it’s not going to get longer is it?
I go back again on the 10th February so hopefully the pain will be better by then.

Honestly, the fact that you say that is the right leg, makes sense and likely why they wait to measure.
I was told by PT at 2 1/2 mos that one of my legs was a bit shorter...
But it was deemed to be due to tight hip flexors and an anterior pelvic tilt.
Lots of sitting and resting early days, which is on itself important, does often lead to tight hip flexors.

The exercises I found most helpful but done very gently and not in excessive repetition, were pelvic tilts when lying in bed engaging glutes and another very gentle stretch: lying with your behind at very edge of bed, I would let affected leg hang off the side and slowly lower towards the ground until a mild/moderate stretch is felt in the front part of the thigh/hip.
When I felt that this was loosening up, a week or so later I would do this exercise and at the same time, grab opposite knee and pull it gently towards my chest to increase the stretch.

All needs to be done in a slow, controlled, mindful manner.
I hope things improve and love to hear how it is going.

So, here I am, four months since the right and seven months since the left.

My left side knee and thigh pain has improved but not gone completely and I have hamstring pain in my right side.

I saw another physio at the hospital yesterday, who was very good. He said he was impressed with where I was in my recovery, so I always respond well to praise LOL

He said that the setbacks were because I had gone over my limits for that stage of recovery and that made me hurt. He said so what if I’m not walking perfectly or as far as I wanted at this stage after two quick hip replacement, I’m still doing brilliantly.

I guess he gave me confidence and that’s important.

Last edited:
:wave:@Ocean
I get how tiresome this Hurry Up and Wait recovery can be... and those worrisome niggles can't help but invoke some anxiety about Is this Temporary? or indicative of some real issue?
Especially when this chapter of our lives seems to be All About the Hips:groan:

He said that the setbacks were because I had gone over my limits for that stage of recovery and that made me hurt. He said so what if I’m not walking perfectly or as far as I wanted at this stage after two quick hip replacement, I’m still doing brilliantly.
Thank you for this honest disclosure from your PT as many of us (including myself) have tried to get back to "normal" quicker than our bodies let us...
"It takes the time it takes" was the answer I got from someone when I asked for a succinct timeline about my recovery..:nah: which I deemed totally unhelpful at the time but was, in fact, True.

I hope you are feeling encouraged and hope you can have a happy Saturday.:groan::flwrysmile:

Hi Ocean,
You sound like you are doing amazing. Taking things slowly definitely is the way to go.
I was interested to hear that your physiotherapist mentioned about your foot turning inwards. This has happened since my surgery 6 months ago and yes I have excrutiating lower back ache.
I’m having lots of physio but it seems no one can tell me why my back is so bad.
I’m on the waiting list for 2nd hip so feel reassured reading your journey.
Well done.

Hi Ocean,
Sorry I replied earlier but hadn’t read to the end of your feed so I’ve deleted and re posting.
What a journey you have had, and well done for your recovery and you had two hip replacements quite close together.
I know you’re having niggles and they are very frustrating but you’re doing all you can and sound like you’re doing amazing.
I had my hip done 6 months ago and on waiting list for 2nd one.
I was interested in your comment from your physiotherapist mentioning your foot turning inwards.
Mine has done this since my surgery and I have excrutiating back ache every time I walk any distance. I’m having lots of physio but it’s very slow going. Dreading the 2nd one, but inspired by your story and journey.
You’re doing well. Keep going.
X

Ocean,
I think honesty from your physio is good along with the praise. You have had two replacements within short window.
You will see improvements, I think we all push it to the limit when we start feeling a little better and then pay the price but a day of rest is all we need sometimes and we are back at it.
Have a wonderful weekend.

I was interested in your comment from your physiotherapist mentioning your foot turning inwards.
Mine has done this since my surgery and I have excrutiating back ache every time I walk any distance. I’m having lots of physio but it’s very slow going
My back ache feels muscular and is easing a lot day by day. I have managed to stop my foot turning in so I’m glad that the physio made a point of it. I hope your back gets easier too.

Glad you're doing well, Ocean and also good to hear that your back ache is easing. It seems your physio thinks you're doing exceedingly well, which has to feel pretty reassuring. Keep up the good work and Happy Anniversary on both milestones!
@Ocean

Yesterday was five months since my RTHR and today is eight months since my LTHR and everything is settling down a bit more. My hips are strong but all my muscles etc. in my knees and hip areas are taking turns to flare up while they are getting back into place after years of trying to support my dodgy hips.

I had my last included physio appointment yesterday. I currently have pain due to illiopsoas muscle complaining in my left side. The physio gave me some gentle stretches to help. I have made an appointment for a months time, I will have to pay for the appointment but as I have found the gentle physio useful I want to just see how I go.

I’m walking up to 10,000 steps a day without any canes or anything, it’s possible that I still have a slight limp sometimes but I’m not worried because it’s getting better and the physio says it’ll all sort itself out and to remember how much I had done in a short space of time so don’t stress about it.

Thank you again to everyone on here, I value you so much x

Last edited:
:wave: @Ocean
I started some targeted PT after some months post-op to work on some gait issues and identify weaknesses that were very helpful.
I notice I can, even now, fall into the compensatory habits that I acquired when I had bad hips...
I try to make a conscious effort to remember what my PT taught me about posture and gait.

I'm sure you are going to see more and more improvement and Spring will be Sweet:flwrysmile::SUNsmile::ok:

I would fall into having a limp if I walked too much. The shorter walks keeping posture and gait in mind were much more productive than counting steps or distance. My muscles still flare up at times.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom