TKR Recovery #2

You're right @Layla
I'm all proud of myself fumbling around in the kitchen with the Keurig...
Awesome! So nice to resume these precious activities. I will tackle my new 'bullet' style mini blender today perhaps for fruit smoothes. Or cook full dinner. One or the other. Not both LOL!

I have yet a few handy snacks that can carry me over if I don't feel up to cooking full-out daily! :tada:

@LD of Michigan
I used the nutribullet yesterday! I have a medication....not knee related...that I have to mix with water. It is disgusting unless I use the bullet. You'll ace it! A smoothie does sound really good...you've given a good idea for today. Just stay surrounded by the walker.
Again.....getting the beverage to the recliner is fun.
I drank my meds at the kitchen counter.

Yeah, I've been cheating a bit and trying to maneuver walker with one arm and carry something in the other hand. NAUGHTY -- not cool. I have a front carrier for drinks so for safety I am NOW pouring whatever into bottle/ container with top and put that in carrier.

@LD of Michigan
I used to have one of those little baskets that hangs on front of walker. Good idea to pour liquids into bottle. I'm gonna take a look at Amazon. I want to be more independent, but safely.

WOOHOO! Look what I found!
Now that I'm more mobile I want to order this to get meals and/or beverages from kitchen to nest.
Is this available to be ordered as a bonesmart affiliate type thing?

Oops pic would help....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116-094616.png
    Screenshot_20230116-094616.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 62
And a sturdier one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116-094654.png
    Screenshot_20230116-094654.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 68
When buying anything from Amazon, please consider going through Amazon Smile.

If you choose to make any purchases through Amazon (not just this item, but anything you buy), sign up for the smile.amazon program. This allows you to have Amazon donate a small portion of your purchase to BoneSmart. You pay nothing extra! You get products you want and we get help to keep BoneSmart up and running. Here is a link to smile.Amazon:

About smile.amazon

Be sure when you sign up that you designate our parent non-profit organization,

“The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc“ (FARM).

Any funds go directly to BoneSmart through them and you are allowed to take a tax donation deduction.

Thanks for your support of Bonesmart! :flwrysmile:

Groundhog day #6

Stretching pain meds to 4 1/2 hrs. But, taking 2 tabs. Tried taking 1 every 4 hrs yesterday. Didn't work. 4 1/2 hrs seems good.
Nothing much going on except meds, ice, elevate.

Testing my independence limits.
I need help with :
Someone spotting me while I shower in case I fall. Washed and dried my hair today all by myself!
Lifting my operated leg into bed at nite while I get "situated" on pillows to elevate.
Taking out the dog.
Taking out the trash.

Sending hubs back to work on Friday. I have help with the dog for the day.
This recovery is going well!

Yay beachy! You’re doing great! I second the bottle/thermos for carrying beverages. Bonus if you can find one with a loop you can stick a finger through so you can carry it and still keep your hand on your walker. I have a couple and used them for coffee, water, smoothies, etc. I tried the carrier on the walker but found it too awkward to maneuver the walker with the extra weight/bulk on there. But that’s just me. I did get a cross-body bag I could sling on and carry things in. I know some people use a backpack but it was too hard to get things in and out of for me. The bag is shaped more like a big banana so it has a nice big opening. I would put snacks and small meals in Tupperware and stick them in there to carry them. Anyway. More ideas!

You're right @Layla !
Hubs was really tired yesterday and needed a good night of rest. I was happy to let him sleep in a bit.
This is funny....
I'm all proud of myself fumbling around in the kitchen with the Keurig. So I get my cup filled, even frothed some cream!
Then I try to figure out how to get me and my cup to the recliner with the walker! I managed. LOL
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
I bought a travel mug with a handle that is open on the bottom. Stuck it on my walker!

Marie

I just typed “travel mugs with handles open on the bottom” and a number on Amazon.

Marie

I have a roller walker with a seat on it. I used the seat to carry my food and drinks. Also, when my ice machine needed refilling I just set the container for the ice right on top of the seat and filled it in the kitchen, and rolled it back to where I needed it. It seems we girls can always figure out a way to get something done!

Groundhog day of recovery #7
Today is 7 full days if you count day of surgery.

My day consists of moving around house looking at all the things that I can't do and the messes hubs makes :loll: I do that when moving from recliner to bed.
The biweekly cleaning team comes tomorrow. They are a blessing and a splurge that I will always give up something else to afford them.
Like eggs :rotfl: have you all seen the price of eggs?

My ham is doing ok. I cannot imagine any kind of PT with this swollen knee that hardly bends.
I walk around as much as possible and stretch the leg and do ankle pumps. All that feels good.
Very very careful to not over do it.

Spent most of yesterday in bed with ice packs always. Lots of YouTube. And little walks. And talking with friends.
Took a shower and washed my hair. Hubs spotted me. And got a thrill :rofsign:Or so he said.
Was able to dry and style my hair no problem.
Taking pain meds every 5 hrs. 2 tabs. 1 tablet doesn't help the pain. Plan is to go to 6 hrs soon supplementing with ibuprofen and tylenol. I sleep great, but don't nap during the day.

So many good ideas from everyone on getting food and drinks from kitchen to recliner.
@Twocaledonias ...we splurged big time on a sleep number bed 2 yrs ago. The top is a split mattress and goes from flat to 90 degrees independent of each other. They have a model where the bottom comes up too...like a hospital bed. Couldn't get that one cuz the 8 lb furry terrorist would fall in between and get squished.
And adjusting the firmness of bed is a huge plus.

@InkedMarie gonna order that mug today!
@sistersinhim great way to use your seated walker!
Feeling encouraged about recovery. Haven't heard a peep from doc office about pt. What they don't know won't matter.

How is everyone doing today?

Took a shower and washed my hair.
Oh, I know that was heaven! I had a shower chair that I sat on and scooted into the shower while seated. But, one of the huge mistakes I made was not having the shower curtain inside the tub enough and so I had water all over the floor. I had my extra PT that day! But, that first shower was so wonderful!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member