THR My Christmas time recovery

I'm at almost 11 weeks postop, @Sdfoxy1, and today "extreme muscle soreness" nails it exactly. Yesterday I was doing well. Tomorrow I may be doing well. Just how it's been for me
:tantrum2:

I went to the dr yesterday and had the puffy large red warm area around the incision. She said it was fine. I was on my cane and I told her that my leg was so sore I could hardly walk. I stayed upstairs today I watch a little tv and then do some light housework. My husband works from home on Friday so he brought me up some lunch. I went downstairs around three and basically watched tv. Then it happened. I realized I was walking normally and pain free. First time. I was zipping around getting my returns packages. I kept saying look at me. It’s freaky. He kept saying I wouldn’t do it to much. I said no I think it’s done. Well about 20 minutes lately I noticed my rear started burning. Then I started limping again and it was gone. But I had a glimpse of how it could be. I think that will keep me in a good mood for a while :)

So great when you can do something you couldn't do!
You will get there.

Well my knee gave completely out yesterday. I have been walking without the cane quite well for a few days. I had also discontinued my Voltaren gel bc I was having very bad acid reflux and read that could be a symptom so I was testing that theory. As soon as I quit my knee got much worse and all I could do was ice. This knee has a torn meniscus and severe osteoarthritis and a cyst. It has been controlled through steroid shots and ibuprofen until I could no longer take nsaids hence the Voltaren gel which I assumed would not bother my stomach. Anyway I was still able to walk and was putting away my Christmas items and I felt a pull up the side of the knee and it buckled. I could put no weight on it. I called the ortho to see if I could wrap it with an ace bandage but they will not recommend any treatment unless I have a visit. I go into to see PA again tom. Third time in three weeks. Has anyone had a steroid injection in knee after a hip replacement. What was the time frame. This is so hindering my progress and wasn’t bothering me much at all before the surgery. Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear that your meniscal pain has flared. I know that science claims that arthroscopic knee surgery doesn't work in many cases, but it sure worked for me several decades ago. The knee is arthritic and will eventually need replacement, but the arthroscopic surgery gave me my life back. I sure hope you can find relief...meniscus pain is terrible. Fingers crossed

They said my osteoarthritis was so extensjve that repairing that meniscus repair would
Not make a difference in the pain. Did they tell you this.

Hi and Happy Thursday @Sdfoxy1
I will tag @Merrimay for you to be sure she sees your question to her above.
I hope you have a nice day and weekend! :SUNsmile:

I needed a walker when I was waiting for the metal work that was in my left knee to be removed, after an extremely severe accident, and until I had my tibia rebuilt and a TKR.
I used it for some years, and I am back on it now until I have a THR in two weeks time, and then later in the year a partial or total TKR in my right leg.
My walker is my friend, it’s looking a bit battered, but it keeps me upright.
I walked down 5th Avenue in New York on it.
I have explained to my family that if all the surgery doesn’t work I will get a new one, that is rose gold and covered in rhinestones!
Love your walker.
Treat it well!

@Sdfoxy1 , they thought arthroscopy would work well for me then. I'm sorry it won't prove an option for you. :sad:

Hey guys. I’m very low today. I went back and had my knee checked yesterday. They cane so anything til 6 weeks. Well I wasn’t too sad I thought two weeks to go I will use my cane for my knee til then. The ortho also said his clients swear by cbd cream. Then later that day I bent in an awkward position to pick something up so I would go past 90 and pull a muscle in my waist/back. I was so happy at the beginning of the week walking without my cane. Now I feel like I’m back to week one. I can barely stand up with the pulled muscle. I just wanted to stay in bed all day and pout but we are watching our grandkids this evening. Well really my husband since I can’t hardly move. Just really discouraged.

I am sorry you are feeling low and in pain. Are you icing your back..if not it may help? Hopefully you're able to enjoy the grandkids without getting too physically active with them since your back is bothering you. Feel better soon!
@Sdfoxy1

Thanks I am icing it and the knee. I basically could not get out of the recliner. The toddler only likes papaw anyway. Lol

Ice and rest, I just don't know what the rush is to not use a cane???
If you need assistance use it, there's no shame, timeline for ditching the cane or walker.
We are not super humans.
Take the time your body is asking you for.
Yes, it's not what we want to hear, we want immediate results but doesn't happen for all of us.
Hang in there, getting discouraged is part of this journey.

Oh my, you need to give yourself more time (Jamie and others are probably rolling their eyes right now because they had to give me the same advice, lol) I REALLY understand how hard it is to accept help from other people. I have finally put a painful, year long battle behind me.....
5 surgeries
4 dislocations
3 ambulance rides
2 new prosthetic devices
1 staph infection (and anaphylactic shock thrown in for good measure, lol.)

Give yourself time. My first failed revision on my 5 year old hip transplant was on
January 3 2022. After so many restarts, I was allowed to leave rehab and to administer IV antibiotics to myself on January 3, 2023. I never expected ANY of this but I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel ( and it's not another train this time, lol)

Stay strong! I gained so much strength just from the support of people on this site that I've never even met before. Get angry, get sad....but stay focused in your recovery. People need you!

@Sdfoxy1 I just saw your query about a steroid shot.
After over-compensating for my bad left hip for so long (last surgery was December 12, 2022 and I'm still fighting a staph infection in it) my RIGHT knee is trashed. This past Thursday my ortho drained the knee and gave me a cortisone shot which relieved so much of the pain...even while on IV antibiotics. BUT....that is just me.

@Sdfoxy1 I just saw your query about a steroid shot.
After over-compensating for my bad left hip for so long (last surgery was December 12, 2022 and I'm still fighting a staph infection in it) my RIGHT knee is trashed. This past Thursday my ortho drained the knee and gave me a cortisone shot which relieved so much of the pain...even while on IV antibiotics. BUT....that is just me.
I was a little better this morning. I get my shot in a week and half. I’m sorry that your fighting infection. I had mine on December 12 also. You can talk to me anytime. Do you do the antibiotics at home. Is the infection around the hip joint. Or the incision. I always feared that

Oh my, you need to give yourself more time (Jamie and others are probably rolling their eyes right now because they had to give me the same advice, lol) I REALLY understand how hard it is to accept help from other people. I have finally put a painful, year long battle behind me.....
5 surgeries
4 dislocations
3 ambulance rides
2 new prosthetic devices
1 staph infection (and anaphylactic shock thrown in for good measure, lol.)

Give yourself time. My first failed revision on my 5 year old hip transplant was on
January 3 2022. After so many restarts, I was allowed to leave rehab and to administer IV antibiotics to myself on January 3, 2023. I never expected ANY of this but I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel ( and it's not another train this time, lol)

Stay strong! I gained so much strength just from the support of people on this site that I've never even met before. Get angry, get sad....but stay focused in your recovery. People need you!
Lol I was reading from the bottom up and saw this second so you’ve answered my questions. I feel pretty wimpy now lol. That’s good tho

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom