THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hi my hippy pal!
I am the epitome of uncoordinated but I have tried Zumba and some of the other dance workouts... Fun as long as I don't have to watch myself:) :-) (:
I'm currently getting a workout as I have been running around crazy with little outside help for safety reasons at the food bank.
Try to enjoy your week staycation...when the world gets back to it's normal modus operandi, we may be longing for this slow pace.
Stay safe and well.

Hey there :wave:
I was searching up something here and came across your name. Made me wonder how you’re doing. It looks like you just celebrated two years since surgery so a belated Happy Two Year Anniversary to you!

I hope you’re safe and well. With any luck you’ve held onto your job and maybe even made your way back to the pool :fingersx: although wouldn’t surprise me if that’s not the case during this crazy pandemic. Would love to hear from you if you receive notifications and have the time to drop by and say Hi.

Take care and all the best to you!
@SurreyGirl

Hi @Layla @SurreyGirl
wasn't sure who sent me the message but was good to be wished happy 2 yr anniversary. My new hip has been grumbling lately but no idea why now and my old hip complains as the leg remains stubbornly out of synch with the new hip and is wearing away. I have continued to walk throughout the Covid lockdowns but everything got snarled up when my husband came off his bike when a van pulled out in front of him in May. He experienced ten fracture ribs/collapsed lung, fractured collar bone that needs surgery to repair and still waiting, subarachnoid haemorrhage and two pelvic fractures including acetabulum and pubic rami ! Been a nightmare and learned last week he will probably need a hip replacement as a consequence his injury if it doesn't settle ! :skep: :yikes::thud::bawl:
So apart from coping with Covid we have our own lockdown restrictions !
I would like to have posted a more positive message but do hope your both doing better and that life is treating you more kindly.
:wave:xxxxx

@SurreyGirl Welcome back to BoneSmart. Sorry your other hip is giving your grief! Best to get it done and dusted. I hope you won't have too long a wait for surgery. Our health system is in overload at the moment.

I moved your post to our original recovery thread so members can relate your update to your recovery. Feel free to start a new thread about your other hip in the pre-op forum.

Happy New Year!

Hi @SurreyGirl :wave:Do you have a surgery date set up yet? I always say and still believe that making that decision is one of the hardest parts of this journey.
Second time around is a little less worrisome, and glad to hear that Lefty is doing and feeling great!

Thanks! Thought I would revisit here to read my previous blog and catch up with you all. Happy New Year Layla!

It has taken me 2 years on the NHS to see a GP, get an X-ray, get physio treatment for 6 weeks, get another x Ray , get a referral, get triaged by a Senior Physio and, finally, thanks to the SP agreeing my hip was bad, a Consultants appt in February. Now I stiffen up after walking just 10 mins, am kept awake at night, and any exercise attempts leave me in pain.

I have dieted and lost 6kg in 3 months without exercise and am within 6kg of the weight at which my Consultant agreed to do the previous op.

And, guess what, it is the same Consultant I am seeing soI am quite scared re what he will say! He did a brilliant job on my other hip but can be rather abrasive.

Surrey Girl! So nice to hear from you, but sorry it's under the circumstances. I'm sure I'll join the double hippy club at some point also.

It's good to read you're still happy with your first and now you'll have another shiny new one to enjoy your active life. I'm chuckling now thinking back at some of our history here. I will look back through your thread. :heehee:
Will you check into the Hippy Hotel again? I think that's what you / we called it? I will look forward to following your journey and hope 2023 is a good one for you!

Oh yes! I have made a point of visiting various friends in the “Hippy Hotel” over the years so I still know the staff there. I wonder if they will let me back! So many stories :/)

I’m so glad I have rejoined here. I am dreading “The Conversation” I need to have with the Consultant. I am amazed he has agreed to see me tbh! I bet I get a telling off..

:wave::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
@SurreyGirl
Round 2... then on to a double hippy happy life.
I'm sorry you have another recovery to deal with, but you will have great new hips and you know we will be rooting for you!

Thank you Mojo, lovely to see you, Jaycey , Cricket and Layla still on here. Can’t believe it is 4.5 years since my op. I will learn some lessons from my blog when I go back in, particularly with regard to pain medication…

Sadly considering going privately as I don’t think I can wait two years. But have been saving up just in case so ok!

Two years sounds horribly long...can't imagine it. :nah:
I do hope you can get things going sooner!
Seems hard to believe it is almost 6 years since my BTHR.
Still Grateful Double Hippy!:chuckmarch:

Ps. My Consultant had suggested before my last op that I sold my beloved MX5!- and got a more “sensible” car.

Will, I did sell it ,after it reached the ripe old age of 16 years _ and bought another one!

I’m still as stubborn as ever!

Plan is to lose more weight between now and July and then ask to go for a cancellation op at short notice if one becomes available. If not will fork out and pay up. I feel happier now back in here and sharing concerns re my Consultant but won’t know how he will react until
I see him!

Anyway, enough about me! Hope you are all well and thriving, climbing mountains, skydiving, or just walking without pain in your local countryside. Beats lockdowns !

Yes! We plan to go kayaking tomorrow, there's no way I could have maneuvered into a kayak with my old hips.
I had my follow up with my pulmonologist-he is super strict about weight gain, oh how I was dreading that visit. He came in and never said a peep about my weight. I was so relieved.

You've done well with your weight loss.. you've done super well with getting a new MX5, also!
We have a sports car and it does take some finesse occasionally but there's no pain from my bionic hips...yay!
I hate that you would need to wait approx. 2 years.
Hopefully a cancellation happens just when you need it.

I used my first recovery thread quite a bit during my second recovery, it was so helpful.

I’m so glad I have rejoined here.
It's so nice that you returned! I certainly hope you don't have to wait two years if your hip is bothering you now. :sad:

Thanks everyone. My appt with “that” consultant is in February so fingers but not hips crossed.

I’m still working 4 days a week and have to do a fair bit of hosting so need to keep a smile on my face!

Still determined to keep my car after my eventual second hip op.

One thing I did notice was after losing nearly a stone my knee pain was much reduced but nothing can stop the hip deterioration as I recognise all the signs.

Thanks as usual for your wonderful support.

B

Hello again @SurreyGirl - fancy seeing you here again. I had been putting off getting 2nd hip done until fully recovered from 1st (done in 2018) and then deliberately ignored it through COVID etc.
In October 2022 I decided it needed done, partly because left ankle is knackered and best advice is to get hips sorted & balanced before thinking about anything to do with ankle! At least one year wait for NHS hosp. appt. if referred then likely 2yr wait if put on surgical list - so I went private. Op three weeks ago today and all well so far.
Price seemed worth paying from savings instead of new car or family holiday since I couldn't enjoy those with hip as it was. Surgeon says no need to feel guilty about going private, we are where we are and NHS has been allowed to fail us. Hope you can get sorted sooner rather than later.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts