TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

I keep reading that people turn the corner and the recovery starts to get better, I am just waiting for that corner. Thank you for the encouragement!
I am 3+ years out and still hurting. In my case I think I chose a pretty poor surgeon, so I have to accept part of the blame. My first clue that I made a bad choice was the day after my tkr & I asked him when I could start doing squats in weight lifting , he replied NEVER!! He said it would break the implant!!. I wanted to toss him out the window. Then I found out my implant, a Zimmerman Personna was recalled. He claimed mine wasn't one of the units recalled, but who knows?
Great thing about this site is you will get great advice from folks with a great deal of knowledge about TKR recovery. You will hear from folks that did fantastic & folks like myself & worse. Best of luck, I hope you heal quickly!!

PEACE.
DOC

So sorry Doc your knee is not right….maybe see another orthopedic doctor?! Now I am dealing with terrible Achilles’ tendon pain on the opposite leg, but have some tendon pain in my surgery side…..getting MRI on both next Friday…..I am so sick of being in pain! I can’t stop crying….. please pray for me!

I have had 2 massages in 16 days. I was fortunate to have met a woman that not only listened to my concerns, prior to any official appointment, but made sure that we communicated throughout the massage (it was very quiet and relaxing). She made sure I could move my body, especially my knee, whenever I needed to. She doesn’t do “deep tissue” anymore. Found that it was too painful for many of her clients (especially us over 60 folks with lots of war wounds). Who knew my lower back was so tight and the pain on side of calf and top of foot are (probably) my new gait.
My emotional state feels very different when I leave her. I think the right kind of human touch after surgery is so important.
Wish you well!

JusticeRider, I have been trying to find a message therapist to do lymphatic message therapy and I am having a difficult time finding someone.

I am more concerned about my Achilles’ tendons at this time…..can barely walk.if it wasn’t for this I would feel very good about my knee progress and would be ready to schedule my othe knee replacement, but I don’t know what to do? As your u can tell I am not very patient so waiting another week to hear what the deal is for the tendons is drive by me nuts!

@Mickimouse you can also search for an LMP who specializes in ‘medical massage’. Preferably outside of a large hospital or pt office where it tends to be less personal. The right person can help you not just with your knee but also with all those other aches and pains that can result from your surgery (like your Achilles pain). It can be hard to find the right one, but well worth it. Mine has gotten me through so much!

Oh, and be sure to screen them over the phone and emphasize that what you are looking for is gentle treatment…nothing too deep or intense! Your body has been through a lot and needs to be handled with care.

Can anyone remember when the tightness in the knee goes away? Does it? Anything I can do to make it less tight?

By tightness do you mean stiffness? My OS PA said it should get better by 6-months. I find if I don't move enough or get on my stationary bike it is worse. I am hoping the bike will help strengthen my glutes since it is too cold to walk outside. My left lower leg is still slightly swollen but my knee looks pretty good.

Since we each recover at our own rate, there is no hard and fast answer to your question, @Mickimouse. It does go away eventually, although that tight feeling disappears faster for some people than for others.

Here's an article that explains what causes it:

Thank you for that information. As yet I don't have that feeling. I do massage my incisional line and around my knee twice a day. I don't know if that has helped with the tight band sensation. I do have that numbness on the lateral side of my knee. I know it won't resolve but with time they say you don't notice it as much. Fingers x!!

Thanks, I was walking and standing a lot lately, back to icing!

Another question - do your knees look similar? Since my swelling has gone down at 10 weeks I can see more definition. It looks like my implant side on the left is larger than my right knee. Maybe it’s still from swelling but it feels hard. This is my new worry that could explain why it’s still so hard to go up and down steps and bend my knee etc. My range of motion is at 110 at PT and I now have a dynamic splint at home to wear three times for an hour each day to hasten the flexion.

Hi, at 3-months or so my left knee is the same size as my right, but they do look different. The outside of my knee I was told will always have some degree of permanent numbness. It gives me a heavy feeling on that side. I still have some issues going up and down stairs. Some of my problem I know is because my leg isn't strong enough and I do better if I'm not thinking about it too much! At 10 weeks I was around 110 and now I'm 125 on a good day. I mostly do the stationary bike and normal daily activities with stretching exercises. We will get there! You are doing great!

Thanks for your reply! I hope to get where you are. I still have numbness on the lateral side as well.

My right knee(surgical one) looks like the left but not as defined…….the pulling is making my incision sore…..the incision looks good, not quite a white line, still somewhat red . It will be 5 months next week. my flexibility I feel good about, it is stepping down off stairs or a step is what is bothering me…..

it is stepping down off stairs or a step is what is bothering me…
I had the same issue with descending stairs and it seems to be very common. For me, it took six months or longer to feel both comfortable and "safe" (not needing to grip the railing for dear life!) going down steps. You will get that movement back; just give it time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics