TKR TKR on 8/8/22

Hi, I find the change in the weather really making my whole leg ache. I don't really have pain in my knee, the swelling is down but not gone. That area that is numb feels heavy at times. I have been massaging my incisional line and around my knee with cetaphil but any body lotion is fine once you are healed. It has made a difference, but you really have to do it at least twice a day, every day. You won't feel instant relief but if you keep it up you will. Yesterday with the cold weather I tried my heating pad under my knee and that was helpful to me. I found when I am not moving, I start to get knee stiffness. I have an inexpensive stationary bike that really helps. Are you taking any Tylenol or ibuprofen? Good luck to you!
Hi there, I try to avoid taking anything during the day because once night hits and I lay down to go to sleep the pain is multiplied by a lot so I load up before bed. I’d honestly rather have the pain I had pre surgery because I become used to that and if I didn’t over do it it wasn’t bad. I had this done so I could do things without being in pain plus now I have sensitivity and stiffness along with it something I didn’t have before

I understand how you feel, and I think most of us do. I tried to not take anything during the day but found that didn't work for me. I wasn't prepared for this long journey of healing!

I had this done so I could do things without being in pain plus now I have sensitivity and stiffness along with it something I didn’t have before
You will get there, but it takes time and patience. You just passed 1/4 of the average healing time for your surgery. No one can expect to be back to normal that quickly. Please try not to worry or get depressed about your recovery. You are doing just fine. I assure you, it does get much, much better! Time is your friend right now and you can't shorten the time it takes. Look at each little success you have had and will continue to have. I found that helped my anxiety of this slow recovery.

Stopping by to say :hi: on this anniversary of your surgery.
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
How are you doing since we heard from you last? I hope your pain is easing and you're able to enjoy this holiday season. Wishing you all the best now and in the New Year!
@R2R

Reactions: shr
Thank you Layla for the kind words. To answer your question no I’m not doing all that much better if any. I have this terrible soreness on the inner and outer sides of my knee and it is frustrating and irritating, to say the least. I have what seems to be great knee support and mobility it’s just this ongoing pain. Not sure if the ligaments are rubbing something and causing the soreness but when I look at the X-rays the implant doesn’t stick out beyond the bone so I’m not sure what it is. Been like this for the last month or 2 but wasn’t dealing with it prior ‍

I'm almost 6 months out from my second knee replacement and the pain comes and goes. About 3 weeks ago I got into an awkward position preparing to do Ab Wheel Rollouts and something around my new knee popped like a bowstring, think it was the IT band but not sure but it's better now. This surgery is pretty intrusive and the various pieces that were shoved aside for it take some time to adjust.

Reactions: R2R
Been like this for the last month or 2 but wasn’t dealing with it prior ‍
Consider reaching out to your OS, or a member of his care team to see if they have any advice for you, or can offer you some reassurance since this developed several months post op. Unless you can trace it to some type of activity or exercises you're engaging in that may be the cause. You are only five months into a recovery that can take a full year and even longer for some. If you aren't currently, consider icing and see if it helps. Hopefully the soreness eases with time.
A peaceful week to you!

I'm almost 6 months out from my second knee replacement and the pain comes and goes. About 3 weeks ago I got into an awkward position preparing to do Ab Wheel Rollouts and something around my new knee popped like a bowstring, think it was the IT band but not sure but it's better now. This surgery is pretty intrusive and the various pieces that were shoved aside for it take some time to adjust.
That’s what I was wondering if when they move stuff aside what if it doesn’t get put back in the same place? That’s what’s upsetting,the arthritis pain is gone but now I have other issues

On a positive note I’m not taking medication day or night now because I am able to sleep without much pain. I just can’t understand why it takes so long for stuff to settle down in there for up to a year or more if this is what I’m dealing with, it just doesn’t make sense why it would take so long.

it just doesn’t make sense why it would take so long.
Go to Youtube and watch a live TKR and you will understand why it takes so long to heal from. I watched one at about 4 months out because of being so impatient. Once I watched that, I loved my poor knee for what it had been through, and was now serving me to the best of its ability.

it just doesn’t make sense why it would take so long.
Go to Youtube and watch a live TKR and you will understand why it takes so long to heal from. I watched one at about 4 months out because of being so impatient. Once I watched that, I loved my poor knee for what it had been through, and was now serving me to the best of its ability.
I have watched the videos and I still am amazed it can take so long (over a year)to fully recover just like I’m amazed that people claim to come away from the operation in 3 weeks and feel like new. I would think 6 months and you should be at the very best outcome and I am aware every one is different

In the 6 years I've been here, and almost 5 years on staff, the vast majority don't have what they consider a full healing until a year or more. Of course, there certainly are exceptions on both sides of that year timeframe. This is a major surgery that affects, not just the knee and leg, but also the whole body. That takes time to recover from.

In the 6 years I've been here, and almost 5 years on staff, the vast majority don't have what they consider a full healing until a year or more. Of course, there certainly are exceptions on both sides of that year timeframe. This is a major surgery that affects, not just the knee and leg, but also the whole body. That takes time to recover from.
it seem like people come around and heal from even worse things then this in lesser time. I could’ve wrong

I agree. The knee is a very complex joint.

Started back to therapy with a different therapist today and my numbers aren’t quite as good as the last therapist lead me to believe. First one said I was at 125 and 5 new therapist has me at 115 and 10

Each PT can read it differently, plus, your knee can be more swollen today than it was before. Fluctuations are completely normal. That's why I never bothered to measure myself but maybe 3 times during my whole recovery. Those numbers don't mean anything anyway. What is important is what you can do. My OS never measured me and knew that I didn't take PT. All he asked was to see what I could do.

I’ve read that 5 degrees is acceptable but 0 is of course ideal. 6 and beyond causes your quads to never be at rest and always has tension on them,the higher your number the more they are engaged so to speak forever unless you get that leg straight. Extension seems to be the most crucial thing to gain to have a successful/satisfied surgery

Actually probably anything over 0 has your quads engaged but up to 5 degrees is acceptable

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks