TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

Mickimouse, I am sorry you're struggling with such miserable symptoms. I think you should phone your surgeon's office for advice or a replacement med. There should be someone on call over the weekend that's able to help you. If not, the office of your Primary Care Physician may be able to assist also. In the meantime, read the enclosure to see if your symptoms match the listed possible side effects.
I hope you feel better soon.
@Mickimouse

Yes these are possible side effects, maybe I should just take them at night. I don’t know if I keep taking this if these side effects will go away, some threads I have read said they could lessen or go away. I was hoping someone have experienced the symptoms and had any answers for me. I have a note out to my surgeon’s office. But won’t hear anything until beginning of next week……

I have a note out to my surgeon’s office. But won’t hear anything until beginning of next week……
Can you call? There is normally a PA on call over the weekend at most offices. If so, they'd be able to help you. Its worth a try... :console2:

I did take gabapentin for a while after my TKR but did not experience these side effects. I hope they resolve for you soon.

I was on 100mg gabapentin after my breast cancer surgery. Your dose is much higher than mine was, and I only took it at night. My doctor was worried about me falling if I took it during the day. It never made me dizzy only tired. I was thankful for it. Look at the side effects from your pharmacy print out.

I took gabapentin a couple of years ago for a possible nerve issue in my operated knee. I don’t remember the dosage but it was one of the higher ones. I took it for 3 weeks, which might not have been enough time to it to help, but I felt very drugged and had constipation with it. It didn’t touch the knee issue, so I stopped taking it.

Here’s a link to the whole list of articles in the Bonesmart Library
Lots of topics there!

Here‘s an article from the Bonesmart Library:

Yes I stopped taking it……made me very anxious and weird! I am going on 4 months total, did anyone still feel weak and a little leary about the knee? I’m walking better but still a little stressed about hurting it…..but flexation is 110 and extension is a 1.

Yes, I was weak and leery about my knee at 4 months. I had a partial, which was promoted to be a quicker recovery than a total, so I expected to be fully recovered at 2-3 months. (No one ever said a year for either until I found Bonesmart!) Reality was a shock and I was pretty angry/upset for a while.

Try to remember, we all recover differently, and 4 months is 1/3 healed in this year long recovery. :console2:

Thanks, I just was wondering if energy is still low and being a little scared of the new knee…..it’s been interesting that the doctor, chiropractor said a full year……

being a little scared of the new knee
That was me, too! It took me until about 6-7 months post-op to feel a bit more confident that my knee would be okay. What worked for me was to track what I was able to do -- adding just a little bit at a time until I felt I could go to the next thing.
You will get there. Give it time. :flwrysmile:

I’m only guessing but joint replacement is a business. My doctor says he does 750 a year. Every surgery generates a lot of revenue. Plus some bragging rights!! So i would say they don’t want to discourage anyone.

Question, will my knee stop being so tight and stiff? Just hit my 4 month mark and although I am moving better, the knee is so tight…..will it loosen up?

the knee is so tight…..will it loosen up?
Yes. It just needs time. I found this chart really helpful in understanding why this recovery takes so long. (Note 10, 11 & 12 in particular.)

1652123217285.png

My stiffness was the last thing to go. If I remember correctly, it was about 6 months before mine started loosening up more. Elevating and applying ice frequently should help get rid of some of the fluid. It's a patience thing!

Thank you, ugh this has been a slow recovery…….

I am really hurting today, my ankle, my back of both thighs burning and knee really tight……am I ever going to feel at least semi normal……I did a lot of standing and walking yesterday….maybe that is it…..I am so tired of being in pain…..every time I turn around it’s something else. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for letting me vent.

@Mickimouse , many of us have felt this too, a feeling that it will on forever and then you start to mourn the life you thought you would have. The vast majority of us do recover - I am at 25 months and am finally improving. Keep the faith and you will get there.

Thanks I am praying that the Achilles’ tendon on my nonsurgical side stops hurting as well. Has anyone else had these challenges?

Has anyone else had these challenges?
Many of us have had these extra challenges. Read through some other recovery threads and you’ll see that. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts