TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

Have you made an appointment with your PCP? It wouldn't hurt to have some labs done. Maybe she/he can help you more with the side effects of the knee surgery. I found that Ortho is just interested in your knee as far as surgery goes and nothing much else.

Yes @Mickimouse...it can be normal.
Good old energy drain....you're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does the best healing while we're sleeping.

If you're not already, try to get out in the sunshine on a daily walk in the fresh air to soak in some good old
Vitamin D and hopefully increase your strength and stamina with exercise over time.
A great week to you!

I did see my PCP last week and had blood drawn, I haven’t heard back but I tried to read the report on my online chart, only thing I could make out lower levels of vitamin B12.
But I am relieved to hear it can take some time to get energy back. I go to do something and by evening I am tired. Thanks for your answers!

Well, I believe weakness and tiredness can be a sign of a Vitamin B 12 deficiency, but that is something you will need to discuss with your physician. Best wishes for good results on bloodwork. Keep in mind also that you're not even four months into a recovery that can last a full year and even longer for some. I know you've heard it and read it here. It is true, so hang in there. :)
@Mickimouse

Thanks Layla for encouragement! I am just so sick of people giving me the look or telling me someone they know were great by now…..if the pain in the outside where your crease of the knee is would stop hurting when I move my foot/leg outward or inward I’d feel better about my progress. Just sooooo scared something is permanently wrong.

My daughter isn't a big red meat eater and had to have vitamin B12 injections. She just got retested and we are waiting for the results. Will ortho do an xray to ease your mind? I don't worry about what other people think. Do they really know how someone might be doing on a daily basis? You are doing great and just think how you have improved since week one! Best of luck to you!

I have a call out to my ortho, I’m thinking it’s more of a nerve or tendon thing….again my fear is I am going to be the 20% that the tkr left me with this pain forever. Ugh

I have a call out to my ortho, I’m thinking it’s more of a nerve or tendon thing….again my fear is I am going to be the 20% that the tkr left me with this pain forever. Ugh
As I lay here resting before PT, I fear that I, too, will have permanent pain issues (my leg/knee hurts WAY more than it ever did prior to replacement). Trying to wrap head around the possible 12 month marker. But, I’m supposed to return to full time retail in 2 weeks.
I can’t even sit in my car to commute 40 minutes.

my leg/knee hurts WAY more than it ever did prior to replacement
@Dancingqueen and @Mickimouse
It hurts way more now than before the replacement because before the surgery you didn’t have all the disruption to all the soft tissue inside the leg that the surgery causes. All you had then was arthritis. This surgical disruption is what is healing now. Most of us don’t recover within weeks of having a joint replacement. Yes, it is a year long recovery. That doesn’t mean you’ll be in pain the whole year, but it does mean it’s a slow recovery. We can’t expect to be pain free before our body has had time to heal.

Dancingqueen, I can’t see when your surgery was, but I certainly can relate and feel so bad for you…..is there anyway possible you could ask for more time off? Maybe your surgeon can write that you cannot go back yet? I would certainly give that a try….boy oh boy, for some of us, this is one heck of a journey. I too wonder if it was the right decision although when I say that my husband and friends remind me how I was for 2 years. I just want to see the improvement, as I am sure you do as well. Keep posting to BoneSmart everyone is very helpful with info and support!

@Dancingqueen and @Mickimouse, I am right there with you in solidarity. This is hard! It can feel like you made the wrong choice. But you know that you were not going to get better without this surgery, right? Cartilage damage does not get better. You know this! It was only going to get worse, whereas now it IS going to get better. Even if it takes 2 years (God forbid!), it will be worth it. This is what I keep telling myself when I almost start to think I made a mistake because it’s hard and miserable and lonely and exhausting and frustrating. I couldn’t have just kept going the way I was. There was no hope and now there is! I did the right thing. YOU did the right thing. I’m pulling for you both! We can do this.

it IS going to get better. Even if it takes 2 years (God forbid!), it will be worth it. This is what I keep telling myself when I almost start to think I made a mistake because it’s hard and miserable and lonely and exhausting and frustrating. I couldn’t have just kept going the way I was. There was no hope and now there is! I did the right thing. YOU did the right thing. I’m pulling for you both! We can do this.
Great supportive post, JR. I like it, I like it! :yay:

It is still early into recovery for all of you, ladies. This recovery can certainly test our patience. Try to just roll with it, unless you have some type of pain that is new, unrelenting, escalating in frequency or intensity. Stay as busy as you're able to comfortably, pushing out the negative thoughts of complications. I'm sure most all of us have experienced those thoughts and they can steal your joy. Stay busy, keep your mind occupied and let time pass. Focus on the New Year and how much better you'll be feeling. :yes:

I can’t even sit in my car to commute 40 minutes.
Just a quick derail here @Mickimouse Please forgive.

Dancing Queen, I experienced the same. granted I had a hip replaced, not a knee, but the cramped confines of the car drove me crazy for the first several months and like you 30-40 minutes was my limit. You can't move position or shift easily and it almost made me feel claustrophobic like I wanted to scream. Thankfully it slowly eased and I am sure it will for you also. Try bringing / applying an ice pack while driving. It worked for me, probably only a distraction, but it did work.

The pain and discomfort is not letting up and good Lord my other knee is having discomfort in the same place but not as intense (which that knee needs to be replaced as well). I did get into my surgeon really fast, on Thursday……I think they heard how distressed I am. I am so overwhelmed. I am losing it……please pray for me.

Prayers for you Mickimouse. Let us know how it goes. I hope they listen and take your concerns seriously.

Thank you for keeping me your prayers……has anyone experienced increased discomfort/pain due to weather. It is getting cold where I live. My left knee is now being a darn….

Sorry left knee is giving me problems

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks