THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

Hi there :wave:
I hope you had a nice Sunday and I'm wishing you a good week!
@Woodstockhip

There are lightweight ice packs too (search for Nordic Ice).

They are much lighter weight and easier to handle. We got a bunch with food ordered in the start of the pandemic.

I did not use the heavier more expensive ones.

I put these in a ziplock bag then put the bag into a pillowcase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day Six. Well, let’s see…still waddling around on the walker. My partner, who has been dispatched to the basement, likens it to sleeping under a subway track. Hey, when you have to pee, you have to pee. Except when you try and can't because the spinal block messed up all your water-works. That's gradually improving, thankfully. The running faucet trick helps. I am still icing and elevating, taking Extra Strength Tylenol and Advil more for inflammation than pain at this point. I’m getting more skilled at careening around the bed on my elbows, hooking good leg around bad leg to haul it into position. I probably look like some kind of prehistoric sea-creature. Oh, and speaking of things that look scary, I got sight of my incision. You don’t wanna know. Last night I made some awkward move and swore I must have split my incision open. I truly expected to see blood. But no, just the normal (hah) nerve weirdness. Planning another fun-filled day of sloth and ice.

Tennis balls! I put 2 tennis balls on the back legs of of the walker that made it quiet and prevented scratching the floor.
Last time around, the walker I borrowed had tennis balls on it. A friend dropped by with her dog, who spotted one of the tennis balls and tried to grab it for a game of fetch. Usually it’s the dog who won’t let go of the ball. Not this time….

Well, I really hope I don't catch it, tennis elbow was bad enough

Morning check-in. Oh, sorry. Afternoon check-in! Time flies when you're laying around like a slug, icing and elevating. Surgery was last Thursday and I had my first visit from the PT yesterday. We did the standard ankle pumps, butt squeezes, heel slides, etc. and he showed me how to get into the tub. I'm chicken, though, and am continuing to take "cat baths" until I feel a little steadier. There was a definite flare-up in pain after the PT so I'm sticking to twice a week for now just to give everything time to rest. Because of the pain, I took an oxy to help me sleep and I actually got a decent night's rest. Woke up to the cat walking back and forth on my new hip. I think she's into manual lymphatic drainage. Either that or she was hungry.

I pointed out the leg length issue to the PT and, of course, he said it's something I need to take up with the surgeon. I plan to do that when I see him next week. It really is quite disconcerting and I'm afraid of screwing up all the other joints in my body by walking and doing PT while crooked. I know it's early days and things will probably settle a lot but it's been nagging at me. If I stand up straight on my right foot, my left foot doesn't even hit the floor! However will I perform in the Nutcracker this Christmas?:santa-dance:

@Woodstockhip the slightly longer leg length is something we have to deal with the interconnected parts evening out over time.

Before surgery I could put a shoe on my right foot and go barefoot on the left.

Painful and terrible for my back.

My good leg is still like you describe. About 5mm shorter.

But for grins I just put a standard thickness insole in my R sneaker.

The mid thigh pain hurts less w my hips more level!

Rob has my cat I was worried about her being under my feet too. All animals know when something is wrong w their human/servant :)

@Woodstockhip Oh those purr-a-medics and their night time shenanigans! I had one big Maine Coon cat who liked to sleep on one of my legs and caused some circulatory problems because she weight about 18lbs. They are loves ... and sometimes a nuisance too. :catbutterfly: As for leg length ... give it some time - it may just be your body getting use to having a new hip and all the muscles getting back to a new normal after having limped and been in pain for an extended period of time. It sure can feel like there's a problem when actually it's just getting all the parts and pieces settled down.
:kitty:

Thanks @djklaugh and @HollyNY. Yeah, I know it will take time — I’ve been reading a lot on other people's threads about this. It just seems such a dramatic difference, though. When I walk, there is so much “extra” right leg that the knee turns inward and it hurts! I guess I’m just afraid of making things worse Instead of better.

I forgot an important part.

Most walkers have wheels that be changed with the front legs using the adjustable push buttons.

Oh those purr-a-medics and their night time shenanigans! I had one big Maine Coon cat who liked to sleep on one of my legs and caused some circulatory problems because she weight about 18lbs.
My cats have been the most brilliant nursing care team since I got home - always ready to snuggle up on or around me. I’m trying to be disciplined about spending time lying in bed - and having their company (and a good book) turns it into a real treat. As Collette said, “time spent with cats is never wasted”.

Here is my big Maine Coon boy, monitoring the lying down from the pillow.
01FD759B-6216-45E3-86B2-86AF4AC770E4.jpeg

One Week Anniversary Check In.

Good thing: took my first official shower. Fantastic.

Bad thing: Today appears to be the Day of the Zaps and Zings. All was going along as well as could be expected until zzzzzap to the back of the knee / zzzzzip to the groin / zzzzzzing to the insole. It’s like a sleeper cell comprising every nerve in my leg suddenly decided to activate in a series and YOWIE. It’s the Whack-a-mole of leg pain. Each time a series happens, it goes for about a half hour, then recedes. Not even ice seems to cut the circuit — it just needs to play itself out. Temporary, right?

Hi @Woodstockhip . Showering is good. Are all the pings and zaps temporary? I would say yes...just give them names like zowie, pting, kaboom....don't forget to say, what the heck was that? (Or words to that effect).

Hi @Woodstockhip . Showering is good. Are all the pings and zaps temporary? I would say yes...just give them names like zowie, pting, kaboom....don't forget to say, what the heck was that? (Or words to that effect).
I dunno — if I named them I'd have to keep them and I don’t want to get too attached. At least that's how,it worked with my cat.

[Bad thing: Today appears to be the Day of the Zaps and Zings.
Are you taking magnesium supplements? I was getting terrible spasms / twitches, but this these forums pointed me towards magnesium and they stopped pretty much immediately. If you search the site you’ll find lots of references to it.

[Bad thing: Today appears to be the Day of the Zaps and Zings
Are you taking magnesium supplements? I was getting terrible spasms / twitches, but this these forums pointed me towards magnesium and they stopped pretty much immediately. If you search the site you’ll find lots of references to it.
I am not, though it sounds like a good idea. I’m just taking so darn many pills post-surgery, I can’t bear the thought of yet another one. I’ll be off the antibiotics tomorrow, so once they’re done, I can add in something new. These feel less like spasms and more like nerve pain but it’s certainly worth a shot! Hope you had a good day yourself.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom