THR My recovery thread: day 4 nausea and dizziness

:hi: @Tuppence71
No glamour is early days of recovery for sure.
Walkers, canes, toilet risers, lack of sleep:groan:
Made me feel quite vulnerable and grumpy.

All Temporary became my daily mantra.

I had to be super honest with some of my family and friends that I really did need alone time to "lick my wounds" so to speak, adjust and rest.
I missed that you were considering going out for your birthday...
You may be "feeling it " by Sunday...
but I know I wouldn't have been.
I hope things level off soon...
All Temporary.:console2:

All Temporary became my daily mantra.
I like that. This too will pass.

I resolved before my operation that as I wouldn’t be able to exercise for a while, I would try to learn to meditate and build up my mental resilience. I should get started on that.

I resolved before my operation that as I wouldn’t be able to exercise for a while, I would try to learn to meditate and build up my mental resilience. I should get started on that

Yes!....It can be tricky, too!
So much of this early recovery is a Let Go and Let Healing Happen.
Eating well and keeping a positive attitude will help your body get through this early patch.
You've got this!:tada:

Tommy and @Tuppence71 The start point of your "journey" is pain and stopping you doing the things you want to do. So you say yep, let's get a new hip. The next bit is, yep, pain again. Pain, frustration, indignity, helplessness, reliant, smelly, awkward, dirty uncomfortable, disheartening, overwhelming, underwhelming, futility boredom, and I think I forgot to mention, pain. I unfortunately, was unable to go for the glamorous THR on the NHS so going through all the above BUT , and it's a big butt (love that joke) I cannot tell you how good it felt after the first hip had settled in. It was unbelievable, it made me feel so free, only way I can put it. And I and you will experience that...probably not tomorrow but soon enough.....even makes me well up thinking about it now. So Tommy and Tuppence, early early days but the joy is to come...

But @Tuppence71 the real highlight is....I bet you never thought you would be discussing the intimate details of your toilet habits with thousands of other people :rotfl:
It’s just another one of those things I took for granted in my LBHR (life before hip replacement).

Seriously though, it’s things like that that nobody tells you about that can cause so much extra stress and anxiety. To be able to come here and have people say ‘yes, that’s normal, happened to me, too’ is such an amazing relief. And I want a record so that in future I can tell other people honestly what it was like.

I would just be very forthright with friends and family even though their intentions are well meaning.
Do you know I didn't even tell my son that lives in Texas or my brother and many of my friends that I even had hip surgery??? Because mine was due to an accident there was no "planning" and once home I told my partner I just wanted to be me and him for awhile. My son that lives nearby knew and a couple of my closest friends that I had fallen and fractured my hip but it took me close to a month to "reveal" my whole story to others.
We have a pretty big social circle and I love entertaining and David kept saying to me these folks in the dark are going to think you are upset or mad at them if you don't say something, so finally did, I think I had to accept it myself before I could share it and every time I told the story (which even that was boring after awhile), I'd cry!
We had one couple over for a very early dinner one evening and I was honest with them as well that it had to be early because by 8PM I was whipped and had to go to bed. They were wonderful brought nice appetizers from their son in laws restaurant and I did easy filet mignon and baked potato meal. And once again, I cried! It touched me so deeply that these friends cared so much. You know the type that are just always there no matter what.
Ok I've rambled on now!!!

Tuppence, I love your sense of humor and it will help you in this recovery. You have to laugh at some of this stuff to keep your sanity in these early days / weeks.:wink: I hope you have a good day!
@Tuppence71

Day six, and I am feeling as if I am at the foot of a very tall, very steep mountain, that I have no choice but to climb. However, yesterday I had a significant breakthrough - I discovered a vastly improved method of getting on and off the bed. Instead of trying to sidle on sideways, I go to the foot of the bed, lean back against it with my good leg and stretch my operated one out in front (so no bending at that hip) then I lean back until my bum huts the mattress, scoot back using my hands and right leg until I am lying flat, then do a kind of crab-walk back to the pillow.

This is such a fantastically graceful and efficient way to get into bed that I am surprised it hasn’t been adopted more widely. You never see people in the movies crab-walking across the mattress before they get down to a sex-scene. I wonder why that is? :heehee:

Of course, it is a bit annoying if you go through all this and then realise that you have forgotten to turn back the sheets and are lying, exhausted by the effort, on top of all the bedding. But we live and learn.

I do really hope that when I get back to normal, I sometimes remember to take a moment to appreciate how good it feels to sit in a chair, or get into bed, or get dressed without it being an enormous, uncomfortable, palaver.

Ow do @Tuppence71 . So who ever thought you would be chuffed to get onto a bed without puffing and panting and swearing and that's just getting on it. Good work finding new method for getting into bed. I too have many splendid ideas...this morning making a coffee to bring through from kitchen forgetting am on 2 crutches...buying 2 grabbers and leaving them in the same room all the time....or yesterday putting my lunch on a tray to take into another room...all splendid ideas....

buying 2 grabbers
Now that is a good idea. I find that the fates have determined that I must always be at the furthermost point from my grabber whenever I need it. I should just get a few and position them strategically around the place….

I discovered a vastly improved method of getting on and off the bed. Instead of trying to sidle on sideways,
Something that would help from this position (sliding on sideways) is a plastic garbage bag. You place it underneath your bum and it allows you to move toward the center of the bed with great ease as it removes any friction between fabric and bedsheet. This works really well as an alternate option if you tire of the other way. It also helps you position in a car seat, windshield facing, with greater ease in the early days / weeks.

On the topic of Grabbers here is a fun thread from the Community area on the beloved assistive device. I know it was my favorite. GRABBER STORIES

Happy Thursday!

Another good option is to get some silky pj’s and/or sheets to help move around more easily

@Tuppence71 the OS nurses warned me to get Colace and Miralax to have on hand as the opiods relieve pain but cause constipation.

Now when I take 1 pain pill, I take 1 colace with it. And drink a lot of water.

So far no need for the Miralax.

Another good option is to get some silky pj’s and/or sheets to help move around more easily
I always love it when a problem can be resolved by just buying some new stuff! Great idea.

Friday 22nd September: seven days since my operation. This time last week I was crippled with arthritis pain and horribly, horribly nervous about the upcoming surgery. Now hopefully I am over the worst and contemplating the road to recovery. What a difference a week makes.

The nausea and dizziness seem to have been banished with the Dihydrocodeine, and I’m managing just fine with standard Paracetomol. The last few nights I’ve had some very dramatic (though not painful) spasms in my thigh; I searched a few threads here, and have added magnesium to my bathroom pill-shelf - once again, I am grateful for this source of collective wisdom and experience.

My walking has improved day by day, and I now only carry a crutch for emotional support. I went for an afternoon stroll with my husband and dog in the park in the sunshine and all seemed well with the world.

I still have a long way to go, but I’m pleased with how far I’ve come already.

Also, Dan took a photo of my wound for me, as I can’t see it myself without twisting. It is a vivid, swollen palette of purple, blue, green and yellow - a truly alarming sight. I have very much enjoyed showing it to people and seeing the horror on their faces. Although maybe that is because a fifty year old woman is making them look at a photo of her bum.

Last edited:
My walking has improved day by day, and I now only carry a crutch for emotional support.
Such good news that you are doing so well.

Here's an insider tip -- continue to carry that crutch, even though you don't need it. It ensure that other people will be careful not to bump into you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks