TKR Following My Instincts

Ok bonesmarties… all good things must come to an end…. Last night I tripped over what amounts to being a tall curb. I hit shin first - about 3” below the end of my scar and then came forward in full yard sale fashion (I had a long dress on and got tripped up in it as I tried to step over) with the top of my knee making contact with the concrete top of the curb. I actually landed in sand so no scrapes or cuts… however I am loosing sleep because I am worried I messed something up on my 18 week old knee. I didn’t feel any immediate issues - sharp pain etc so I figured that was good. I can put full weight on it (walked up and down stairs to my bedroom so I figure that was good- but it’s sore. And I do get twinges of pain than I have not had. I think it may mostly be muscles (hoping!) But if anyone out there has had a trip up/ fall and has any advice feel free to share. Right now I am icing and took some preventative Tylenol-. I have a cementless implant - not sure if that makes a difference but just some info. As I would excpect to be sore if I tripped whether or not I had a TKR , I think I might just be psyching myself out and I think I would probably felt some sort of pain pr trauma of the actual implant was compromised but Not sure and hoping someone has some advice. Thanks

In all my years on Bonesmart, I have never read that anyone had damaged their implant in anyway. What I do know is that you have probably angered your soft tissue and it will takes a few days or even a week to calm it down. If it does flare up, treat it with the standard: ice and elevate and Tylenol.

I stepped in a hole and broke my foot and two bones in my foot. I ended up on my less than a year-old knee. I bruised really badly and had to result back to icing and elevating it along with the ankle and foot. After the initial healing from the fall, my knee was angrier because I couldn't use it since I was non-weight bearing on that leg.

You should be fine, just don't be surprised if you have a few days of swelling, pain, and bruising. :flwrysmile:

I have cementless as well. You probably just have normal effects from falling and didn't hurt the implant. Even months later, your knee and tissues will be sensitive to "tweaks" so twinges are probably just that. As the tissues heal, if you start noticing any new pains in the knee itself, or just to be reassured you could call your OS.

@Samsrf, so sorry you took a tumble but glad you didn't experience significant pain with the fall. For perspective, I almost fell while going up the stairs at around 6 months but instead of falling I jammed the leg, hard. There was lots of swelling and pain from the ankle all the way up. It required more than a month for everything to settle down. When the swelling and pain dissipated, my ROM and capabilities were still there, just waiting for me.

here's my post --> https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hawkies-2nd-knee.67316/post-1532038

Ah yes, you are all so wise…. I freaked out a bit since I thought concrete meeting metal wasn’t a great thing… but after a handful of days, just sore but still stable and working / functioning.

20+ week / 5 month update: Haven’t been on bonesmart much because everything is going really well and I only find myself slowing down and icing at night. Still learning to trust the knee- when you have an injury for so many years it is imprinted into your psyche to protect it (the knee) at all cost. I find myself wincing when I hop on the bike- but then realize -it doesn’t hurt. I find myself taking stairs down one at a time and then think “I should try alternating” and I can! Just old habits ingrained in the brain. I have to say at 44 I am so grateful I had the surgery.

This forum gave me the courage to push back against the physical therapist. I took my son with me at first just in case I needed backup, and that's something I would recommend to anyone going to the physical therapist, at least in the beginning. Don't go alone! Take someone you trust with you for moral support if you have to push back against the physical therapist. Anyway, this young man wanted to push my knee up to my chest when it was still so swollen it would hardly bend. I told him to stop, and he said, "If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." I guess that's the new "No pain, no gain." I told him it was challenging enough just to get around my house and he backed off. I like the physical therapist I have now. She is gentle and encouraging and never tries to push me to do something I'm not comfortable with.

I find myself taking stairs down one at a time and then think “I should try alternating” and I can! Just old habits ingrained in the brain.
Yep, for sure! It took me quite awhile to get my brain to do stairs the normal way, months! It didn't help that I'd go down the stairs fine and then try it again a couple of days later and have some pain. It will come in time and patience! Two steps forward, one step back!

Nearly 8 months! Almost 75% to full healing. Honestly not much to report but I hopped on here because I was reminded to rest today- after a long holiday weeklcooking and entertaining today I took a surf, 10 mile training bike ride and an hour walk after dinner. Guess I have been pushing a little hard - haha - what I love is the stability after needing a tkr for 8 years I love that I can take a step without worrying about pain, buckling or locking (basically falling). I am still working on the muscles and soft tissue and this week I am slowing down a bit- well tomorrow Just wanted to get on here and tell everyone recovering to keep going, it is hard- but it gets better! Rest when you need and look for the bright sides & positives.

@Samsrf That is great news! It's always good to hear some encouragement. Thank you so much for sharing.

@Samsrf! Lordy! I've just read your full thread and I am in awe! You are SO active, getting so much done, nearly from the Get-go. Just the physical activity, and formal exercise (along w time to ice/elevate)…but then, working, as well? And having a family to look after? Truly, I call it beyond admirable.

For what it's worth, here's my .

Hmmm….guess the emoticons don't work in this format, but I offered you a medal!

@Samsrf! Lordy! I've just read your full thread and I am in awe! You are SO active, getting so much done, nearly from the Get-go. Just the physical activity, and formal exercise (along w time to ice/elevate)…but then, working, as well? And having a family to look after? Truly, I call it beyond admirable.

For what it's worth, here's my .
@Arjay haha, you are so nice and I appreciate your words! I post on here because I was SO AFRAID to have the TKR and I know some people struggle, but I am so grateful to have done it finally. I waited until I basically couldn’t walk and I am in awe of how much my health declined. You kinda don’t realize it when it is happening slowly! Along with the challenge of the TKR this past 8 months we have lost a couple of friends (40 & 55) and it really reminds you to live fully. My doc said the knee I have had a 95%success rate at 30 years. I am hoping to test that out and see where I am at 73! Smile- you are awesome!

Hi all!!! I happened to hop on here this morning and wanted to post an update. I am not sure how much I can help anyone by replying because I know a lot of people are struggling - after all most of us found this site out of desperation after TKR’s.
I just want to say “Keep Going!” I know in this moment it may seem impossible, hurt and feel like it won’t ever be right. If you read back I struggled with pain, PT and having a busy young family while recovering. I still get stiff and sore after driving carpools all day and standing a cooking- but I final felt healed enough to push myself about a month ago. I will be 1 year on March 31. The pictures below are of my last “therapy” session. It is not traditional - and I am sure not for everyone… but after walking with a limp for 8 years and being in constants pain, my “PT” is more about mental challenges. I am so grateful I have healed up well. I still catch myself taking one stair at a time- out of habit , not out of necessity. So my advice to you… let your body heal , it will. But don’t stop there. Once the knee is healed keep going and push you brain. We all get this surgery in search of relief. Sometimes that relief isn’t only physical. As I am finding out- I am not ready to give up yet - so I am not. I try to find a limit in my brain (last week was jumping) and overcome it. - With Supervision & help of course! … 2 more months to a year- I will post pictures of my “kneeaversary” Just keep going.

Attachments

• 731A99D6-9BD5-49B7-8956-DD37D51CC53F.png
    731A99D6-9BD5-49B7-8956-DD37D51CC53F.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 66379C60-72ED-48A5-ADB2-FB4DBC39D509.png
    66379C60-72ED-48A5-ADB2-FB4DBC39D509.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 51
  • B4B7A5D7-DEEA-43A5-927F-E83F1365A8A7.png
    B4B7A5D7-DEEA-43A5-927F-E83F1365A8A7.png
    194.7 KB · Views: 46
  • C31C4914-B3D6-4F16-9A74-015E1EBB7E72.jpeg
    C31C4914-B3D6-4F16-9A74-015E1EBB7E72.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 44
@Samsrf Such a great update - well done! Thanks for sharing your success! I am certain members who are contemplating TKR or having a tough time in recovery will appreciate your encouraging post. Thank you!

What a great, inspirational post, @Samsrf. It's so wonderful to see how well you are doing now, especially after your early struggles.

I love your message about continuing to challenge yourself. You go girl!

:dancy:

Thank you so much for posting this update @Samsrf ! It really is inspiring. It gives me hope and excitement for the future. We are of a similar age and I agree with you that we shouldn’t be wasting these ‘prime’ years severely limited and in pain. It was difficult to find someone who was willing to do my PKR because of my relatively young age but I fought for it. I accommodated my knee for 20+ years and spent the last 2 in a lot of pain. Now I’m finally at the point where I can see that this surgery was worth fighting for. And your amazing story helps me to believe that I really will get my life back!! Thanks for sharing :)

Congratulations! @Jaycey is right, you are giving inspiration to others who are contemplating a TKR or maybe struggling in the early stages of their recovery.

:loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member