TKR Runningfree’s Recovery Journey

Runningfree

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well it’s done and I’m back home today. Tired but happy. I elected to stay awake listening to ABBA during surgery. I had good pain control in hospital, More pain today but I expected it. Ice does help. Hope to get a good nights sleep or at least some hours deep sleep because I am really tired.

@Runningfree Welcome to Recovery! And wow, you were awake during the surgery! You are braver than I am!

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. So, I’ve started this Recovery Thread for you. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you Marie, it’s just gone midnight I’ve taken my meds, I’ve slept soundly for 4 hours but wide awake now. I was told I can shower if I use cling film round my dressing. Not sure if I feel brave enough to do that this soon but a shower would be nice. I’m experiencing very good pain control, however, I felt very sick and lethargic most of today. That was due to not eating and taking meds. Hope your recovery is going well.

LTKR

I felt very sick and lethargic most of today. That was due to not eating and taking meds.
I kept saltine crackers right beside me because I couldn't eat much while on pain meds either. The crackers helped me a lot. You might want to give them a try if you haven't yet.

Reactions: shr
Thank you Sistersinhim for that good advice, I will keep some cracker biscuits next to me and take them with my meds. My pain control is excellent and I am delighted with the amount of movement I have with my leg so far, if I can get on top of the lethargy and nausea I will be very happy. I came out of hospital with paracetamols and low dose codeine. I have Morphine as a standby med.

TLKR

I will keep some cracker biscuits next to me and take them with my meds.
I suggest you eat them about 5 minutes before you take your meds. This will allow them to be in your system beforehand. Also, if you can get some protein in you shortly before taking meds, that would be a big help, too. Protein takes longer to digest, so it's in your tummy longer helping to soften the meds effect.

I suggest you eat them about 5 minutes before you take your meds. This will allow them to be in your system beforehand. Also, if you can get some protein in you shortly before taking meds, that would be a big help, too. Protein takes longer to digest, so it's in your tummy longer helping to soften the meds effect.
A cup of beef broth works well for me.

I was like that at first with eating but after a couple days post op my appetite came back gradually. I think not only due to the meds but also the shock your body took has some play in that. You’re fortunate to have good movement I still don’t at 2 weeks

I kept applesauce and pudding cups by my bedside to eat with meds during the night. Not sure if you can get cheese sticks and put them in a small cooler by the bed with ice pack to keep cold for some protein?

Wow there is plenty of good tips from you all.
I was like that at first with eating but after a couple days post op my appetite came back gradually. I think not only due to the meds but also the shock your body took has some play in that. You’re fortunate to have good movement I still don’t at 2 weeks
sorry you feel you don’t have much movement, I was given an excellent ice cuff from the hospital to bring home. When my knee swells and gets too tight to move, I elevate my leg so my knee is higher than my heart and I wear the cold cuff. I lay on the sofa with the back of my thigh supported by pillow too. After 25 mins my leg feels much better. I also bought an ice sleeve from Amazon that works well too. I believe if you can get the swelling and heat down you stay more comfortable. Good luck

Thanks, I’ll take some cheese with me tonight

sorry you feel you don’t have much movement, I was given an excellent ice cuff from the hospital to bring home. When my knee swells and gets too tight to move, I elevate my leg so my knee is higher than my heart and I wear the cold cuff. I lay on the sofa with the back of my thigh supported by pillow too. After 25 mins my leg feels much better. I also bought an ice sleeve from Amazon that works well too. I believe if you can get the swelling and heat down you stay more comfortable. Good luck
I ordered a cold therapy ice machine from Amazon yesterday that should be here Wednesday. I was planning to buy one before the surgery and was talked out of it saying I didn’t need it wish I wouldn’t have listened

I ordered a cold therapy ice machine from Amazon yesterday that should be here Wednesday. I was planning to buy one before the surgery and was talked out of it saying I didn’t need it wish I wouldn’t have listened
I’m sure you will feel some benefit, raising the knee above the heart is important too, But it was suggested not to sleep like that during the night.

Hi @Runningfree A suggestion that you may find helpful when you want to respond to someone's post.

Rather than quoting the entire message, which -- as you can see above, gets to be very long and hard to read. Instead, just highlight the phrase or sentence you want to address and click on "+Quote." Then, click on "add quote" at the bottom of the response box.

Alternatively, you can just tag the poster by using the "@Username" format and skip the quoting altogether.

Either way, it will streamline your thread quite a bit. Good luck!

Thanks, I’ll take some cheese with me tonight
We’ll the crackers and cheese worked. No nausea today and not so lethargic. I did some chair exercises last night, only gentle ones but it was too near bedtime I think, as I had to ice my leg in the night and take a dose of Morphine for pain relief. I was thankfully ok this morning. It’s been a good day with pain controlled well even when i was due meds. I’m looking forward to getting my dressing changed tomorrow as my wound is itching like mad.

It’s been a bit of a difficult day. I’m 6 days post surgery, it’s been a positive experience up till now. I’m experiencing some pain and stiffness on movement despite icing, resting and raising my leg. I’m just unsure if I’m doing enough or not enough. I don’t stick to the exercise sheet, I do what I can that keeps me mobile and minimal pain. I have an excellent straight leg on the bed and standing, I can lift my leg more than 6 inches but brings on pain. The bent leg is the challenging one. As is the sliding heel. I’m reading everything I can get hold of but I’d love to know if I’m heading in the right direction. I am also moving easily round the house and doing some light work without the walker or Crutches.

TLKR

Last edited by a moderator:
At only 6 days post op you are definitely going to have pain with movements. This will get better with time. Don’t go any long distances without a walking aid, your knee is brand new and your soft tissues in the area are quite upset right now. A walking aid will help support that upset area.

Your recovery from Patellofemoral Partial was a very interesting read Jockette thank you.( Still not got the hang of highlighting parts ) I wouldn’t go out without crutches. Yesterday (day6) was first time out, dressing change. First PT appointment on NHS is 16 days after surgery. I’m probably happier about that after reading on here about some very painful encounters with PTs. But I do feel unsure about how much I should be doing. Each persons journey seems unique. I’m so glad I was sent to this site

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member