THR How were you at 4 weeks post op? (Anterior THR)

llurbs

Country
United States United States
Hi!
I'm 4 weeks post op now and feeling a bit frustrated. I progressed rather quickly the first couple of weeks and feel like I am at a bit of a standstill. By that I mean I'm still sore and tire much more easily than normal. I know everyone is different but I guess I'm fishing for this is totally normal comments:shrug: Also, because I'm feeling a little alone in it right now. The first couple of weeks everyone is concerned then they move on with life lol. Gah, just as I'm typing I'm realizing how whiny this sounds. I hope everyone is well!! Any similar experiences I would love to hear. Thanks!

Hi,
Well done on your recovery so far! I know I hit that same wall at about five weeks and after progressing at speed I started to notice no change in my discomfort or ease of walking from day to day.
Certainly true that others move on and assume you are doing great ....time moves faster for non hippies I think!
I know now at almost 11 weeks that things are progressing but more slowly. Someone advised reviewing your progress once a week or so rather than daily - you might notice more positive changes.
I hope you start to feel better soon and don't forget four weeks is very early days...it took me some time and lots of advice from this site to realise that :loll:
Take care and good luck with the rest of the journey.

4 weeks, after major surgery. You do know that 10 years ago you would have spent 4 days in the hospital. They beat the you know what out of your leg. They sawed off your femur!! It takes time, give yourself rest and recovery. Dont worry about what you hear that oh I was doing this after 4 weeks. Im going on 8 months and yes I can walk and do slow jogging but I ice nightly rest when tired. It takes up to a year to be fully healed. It gets better!!

Hello and Welcome to recovery. Congrats on your new hip! I will leave our Recovery Guidelines and type more in post below -

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

At Four weeks post op, you are prime time for boredom and a little frustration. Your feelings are totally normal and the energy drain real. You're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Also, because I'm feeling a little alone in it right now. The first couple of weeks everyone is concerned then they move on with life lol. Gah
This could be a little Post Op Blues also, which there is an article on in the Recovery Guidelines above along with one on Energy Drain that I commented on above. Both are only temporary, both take patience. Looking at progress weekly "only' does help. if you look for daily progress you will be let down. I picked a single day of the week, for me it was a weekend day and only allowed myself to reflect back on that day and see what I was doing with greater ease. Walking, sleeping, activities of daily living etc. Try it, you may even consider keeping notes or documenting more here so you can better realize the progress you ARE making.
Hang in there, it does get better and better! :SUNsmile: Brighter days are on the way.

Thank you all so much!! I feel better already just reading your responses. I really like the ideas of checking in once a week and documenting. Funny thing, I am a body worker (LMT, Reiki Practioner) and have worked with so many people post op. My advice to them is always "patience, Your body knows what to do, take time to rest and heal" Why is it so darn hard to take our own advice??:bawl: Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.

We've all heard of the self care acronym HALT. Hungry, Angry, Lonely Tired.
You kind of alluded to feeling a bit alone, and that you're tired and you're probably a little Hangry too, :heehee:
I was a little angry early on, maybe that's a strong word, but there is definitely frustration in not feeling as independent as we once were. I say fix yourself something yummy for dinner, or order delivery, phone a lighthearted funny friend to laugh and converse with and go to bed with a smile on your face. We are always better at doling out advice and caregiving than we are at self care it seems. Show yourself some TLC...you deserve it!

Also about 4 weeks into a bilateral THR. While there has been a lot of progress (I can hardly remember how tough the first week was, it’s all a blur now) there is still a LONG way to go - today I can walk maybe a block and go upstairs once or twice in a day and definitely feeling it by bedtime. So yeah it’s a long road?

We've all heard of the self care acronym HALT. Hungry, Angry, Lonely Tired.
You kind of eluded to feeling a bit alone, and that you're tired and you're probably a little Hangry too, :heehee:
I was a little angry early on, maybe that's a strong word, but there is definitely frustration in not feeling as independent as we once were. I say fix yourself something yummy for dinner, or order delivery, phone a lighthearted funny friend to laugh and converse with and go to bed with a smile on your face. We are always better at doling out advice and caregiving than we are at self care it seems. Show yourself some TLC...you deserve it!
Yummy dinners fix A LOT!!:yes!:

Also about 4 weeks into a bilateral THR. While there has been a lot of progress (I can hardly remember how tough the first week was, it’s all a blur now) there is still a LONG way to go - today I can walk maybe a block and go upstairs once or twice in a day and definitely feeling it by bedtime. So yeah it’s a long road?
Wow, bilateral?! You are my hero. I can't imagine. Although I'm having my second in December and going through it all again is not exciting me lol

Right? Idk I think the bilateral trade off is the first week or two is harder but after that everything else is like “well at least I just have to do this only once”. Ask me again in a year tho ;)

The other thing I would do (or a certain very close, patient hubby would gently do) was to remind myself how far I’d come from pre surgery days. At 4 weeks, I was able to do so much more than I was in the days leading up to surgery. I was still tired and could get a bit sore but nothing like that pain before. Perspective does have its advantages in this case. I am still immensely grateful. As a good mentor taught me: for now, not forever. You’ll get there. And feel free to come here as often as you need to, to whine, cry, vent, share a laugh, or any “aha” moments or to remember you’re not alone. We love them all ‘cause we have lived it too. Blessings as you continue forward.

Layla hit the nail on the head, independence, you have lost control over your everyday lifestyle.
I was so angry at myself for falling and getting hurt, I kept wishing I could take those few steps back, waited to go outside but I didn't and fractured my hip.
I hate being dependent on anyone so that was my frustration and I like to do my own chores around the house, I'm somewhat OCD about how gets done.
It does get better, it will get better, I also thought I was odd not ready to throw away the walker and the cane and just take on the world but my body took a little longer, I'm still healing mentally!
One day at a time, I know, it's easy to say but you will get there.
I wish you the best.

Totally normal! I remember thinking I wasn't far enough along, 2 more weeks will make a difference. I am at 7 weeks post op and just yesterday can feel my leg feeling more normal than ever.
Patience, it takes as long as it takes :yes!:

I’m at nearly 4 weeks and continually yo-yo around. While I can recognise my progress I still struggle with discouragement at any bad day. The advice to recap week on week rather than day to day is excellent. I wish I’d get better at this!

The hardest thing for me is night time. I don’t think I’ve fallen asleep before 2a.m since coming home. No matter whether my day has been busy or quiet, whether I’ve had grumbly pain all day or felt quite good, the nights are the pits. It’s not outright pain so much as restlessness, discomfort, inability to find the right position. I thought this would have settled by now but it’s my chief bugbear. Hoping this too is normal!

I called this 4 week stage the one month slump. You progress pretty dramatically in the first weeks post op. Then it feels like everything stops. In truth - you are still in mega healing mode.

The energy drain will ease and your stamina will increase. Just give it time!

Thanks so much everyone! I had a sort of epiphany on my walk yesterday. This whole situation has been very reminiscent of my birth/post partum experiences with my 2 boys (teens now:bawl:) The anticipation of birth. getting everything in order. Then giving birth which was traumatic for me (I think for a lot of women!)Coming home with a new baby(my hip or myself lol) Full of adrenaline. Then kind of the let down and getting used to the new normal. There are many similar feelings and experiences for me but I won't go into all the details. Maybe another woman can relate to this. The best part of this analogy is a got through that and I will get through this. Instead of 2 beautiful boys I'll have 2 beautiful hips:egypdance:Does this make sense to anyone?? I'm off pain pills lol

@llurbs I can totally relate to your analogy! I think most women here who have had children understand exactly what you are feeling. The high of finally making it through something we dread for so long is replaced by tedious back to real life. The challenge of coping with recovery and a new hip adds to the stress.

Yes indeed - you will get through this and there will come a day when you don't even think about having had this surgery!

Actually that is a great analogy and I can relate. Although I never thought of the comparison at the time of my recovery, the feelings you describe are familiar. I will echo what, Jaycey, said about this fading from the forefront of your mind. It can take some time, but it truly does. Brighter days ahead. Happy One Month Anniversary!
@llurbs

Hello @llurbs
Let me just say you are NOT alone. I've been whining all week about how I feel like it's getting worse instead of better. I'm at 5 weeks 4 days post op. I'm lonely and impatient for my life to get back to normal and I wonder if it ever will. Coming here and reading tonight has really helped.
We CAN do this!
Barbara

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88