Bilateral THR Cold-brew's Big Bilateral THR Adventure

First shower too. Our shower is a bit small so we put the raised toilet seat contraption in the shower to sit on & then I can just barely get to it with the walker. Success! I am a new person today, time for a victory nap

@cold_brew Aahhh that first shower after surgery is so refreshing and wonderful! It's delightful to hear you were able to accomplish this next step successfully!

Oh my goodness! You are doing very well and are checking off the necessary milestones..
I'm curious, how are your pain levels?

You are doing so well and I am typing this with a big grin on my face. :yes:

My GameReady ice/compression system is great but we are learning that it leaks a little bit. “Pro” tip - put it on a tray or just keep it in its waterproof carry bag to avoid damaging your flooring or carpet with a puddle.

Oh my goodness! You are doing very well and are checking off the necessary milestones..
I'm curious, how are your pain levels?

You are doing so well and I am typing this with a big grin on my face. :yes:
Pain levels have been totally manageable after a rough first day. I have not been shy about using the Percocet. Tonight though we’re going to try tapering it down a bit from 10mg to 5mg.

It really is, so glad things are "going" well:) :-) (:

Legs were pretty puffy so I tried ‘medium’ pressure on the GameReady last night. Not sure that was a great idea, felt a little ill (hot / sweaty, belly ache) after. 5mg of Percocet a little later at bedtime and then I slept pretty well…feeling back to more normal this morning.

Glad to read you slept well and that you’re feeling more like yourself this morning.
I need to search up that Game Ready Ice / Compression system you’re using. I’m not familiar and wasn’t fortunate enough to have a ice machine, solely depending upon my gel packs, that were permanently affixed to my thigh. :yes:
It seems you’re doing well only days after major surgery. Keep it up and stay in touch!
@cold_brew

Cold Brew,
I would have loved one of those ice machines, me and my gel packs have become quite cozy over last few months!
I think it's too late in the game now for new ice machine had no knowledge it even existed until I started reading here.
That first shower is the best!!!
We installed a nice walk in shower with handles, seat and glass doors 3 years ago, so glad we spent the money because certainly has been great since the whole hip ordeal.
Keep in touch, sounds like it's going great so far.

Ok here we are at day surgery+4.

It could be too soon to say this but I think yesterday (+3) was the transition from post op adrenaline (and 10mg Percocet) to reality (and 5mg Percocet)…. On the one hand my hips themselves are doing great. Pain is low and the stuff that seemed heroic (getting up out of chairs and using walker) a couple days ago is getting routine. My (modest) exercises are quite doable. Though I’m still a long ways from getting by on my own. But I feel I’m getting out of the “how the heck will this work with 2 bad hips” stage. Now I have 2 hips that are usable-but-barely.

It’s the other stuff that’s catching up now. My stomach has been kinda rough since the…decisive…end to my constipation troubles. Energy kinda low. Feel a bit fever-like (but thankfully no actual fever) sometimes. And I’m so done with the zero-dignity poops. I guess this is the “energy drain” thing people talk about.

Overall though the hips are working is the important part. The rest is temporary…gonna get thru!

@cold_brew I love your thread title. Every time I see it the Adele tune starts an ear worm!

Sounds like you are doing great - especially post BTHR. Tummy issues will ease. You are issued lots of medication pre and post op. Then there is any meds you take for constipation. This will all balance soon.

A slight fever post op is normal. Just monitor and report any spikes to your surgeon.

Energy drain is real and you just can't fight it. Nap when you can. Limit your activity. Your body is using all its energy to heal. Yes indeed you will get through this!

Big news, my temporary disabled parking tag just arrived in the mail! Now I have a new superpower, at least until it expires Oct 11.

I mailed in the forms to the CA DMV on July 1. So, 2 week turnaround, not bad. Your DMV may vary….

When my OS wrote out the form for my disabled parking, which I didn’t ask for, I told him I wouldn’t need it. And he laughed and said I probably wouldn’t need it.

I also mailed mine in to Washington state and received it about when you did.

I did use it at the hospital for my 2 weeks checkup but haven’t used it again. At my 6 weeks checkup, I didn’t use it and had to walk a long bit but I was fine.

And except for those 2 appointments, I stayed home for the first 6 weeks. Just walks up and down the block. Then I began driving again and getting back to lots of my normal activities and don’t need to use the handicap sticker. I park far out to walk more and let those who need those close up spots have them!

Now I have a new superpower, at least until it expires Oct 11.
Good! At least some one will be using one of the ever increasing, usually empty handicapped parking spots. Soon we’ll be parking on the street if we don’t have that “super power”. :wink: Sarcasm? Yes. They are necessary and I am thankful for them, but it seems we have an over abundance, at least in my neck of the woods.You can get your daily steps in walking into the store from beyond these areas.:heehee: JK.

The parking pass is going to be quite helpful in downtown San Francisco. Glad to have it!

First shower too. Our shower is a bit small so we put the raised toilet seat contraption in the shower to sit on & then I can just barely get to it with the walker. Success! I am a new person today, time for a victory nap
I had my first shower today too and this is my first post. I can't figure out how or where to post my story.

Thighs are pretty puffy today. I think I need to elevate more. Like really get those legs up; a lot of my elevation time til now was maybe flat-ish and not elevated enough. Let’s see if ‘really elevating’ helps

Yes, elevation is key.
Jamie from admin explained that It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

Add to that a gentle massage that my colleague CricketHip has shared with many named Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage. She is involved in Therapeutic Massage so please tag her if you have questions. I know she’ll be happy to advise.

This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and any pain.

CricketHips instructions -
While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

I read this also today - After a sports injury or surgery, lymph vessels can become overwhelmed with the demand placed on them. When tissues are swollen, deep tissue techniques may actually cause damage to the lymph vessels and surrounding structures. Lymphatic massage is often the treatment of choice, because it helps the body remove proteins and waste products from the affected area and reduce the swelling. This helps reduce pressure on cells and allows them to reproduce faster to heal the body.
@cold_brew

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member