THR Holly's Hip

HollyNY

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,
I will introduce myself here as well.

My right hip is scheduled for robot assisted anterior replacement surgery on 9/12.

@HollyNY Welcome to BoneSmart! You have come to the right place for support through this journey. Do have a read in the hip recovery forum. Lots of new hippies progressing nicely through THR recovery.

Do come back and ask any questions or raise any concerns you might have. We are here for you!

Hi Jaycey
I have never been in the hospital at all. Not even broken bones,etc.

My boyfriend will be with me for 3 weeks as I recover.

I am concerned about pain control.

Looks like people often try to do too much because the pain mgt has gotten so good.

You can ask your OS about pain control at your pre op visit if you have concerns.
My guy was excellent with it. First an ultrasound guided nerve block in the op leg; then when he had the implants in he used Exparel over the joint before he closed. Those give 24-48 hours worth of no pain (excepting the incision, which for me wasn't achey pain type pain, more stinging or burning sensation). My op report shows IV pain meds also, but I don't remember those.
The surgeon phoned in prescriptions before I left the hospital, so there wasn't any time where I didn't have something.
I asked for a change in meds because the original one made me feel sick and dizzy, and the doc had no problem with ordering something else.
Part of good pain control especially in the first days, is to stay on top of it with your meds. Take them on schedule even if you think it isn't that bad.
It's also important to not push yourself...don't try to be a stud and do all sorts of stuff to prove how tough you are. It isn't always easy, but it's important to chill and do to nothing but short little walks in the house for a while. Healing takes time and patience.
I hope your recovery is as smooth as mine - I had no appreciable pain, and only some muscle ache in my quad later on, which is normal. Best wishes to you. You'll love your new hip!

Hi Subie2021,
I think pain and nausea are the hardest to get under control.

I have already told my bf that nobody gets a pain tolerance award!

He spent lots of time in the gym lifting weights so he has had more orthopedic 'fixes' than I have. He typically has not needed anything more than Tylenol

He typically has not needed anything more than Tylenol
Everyone is different. Work with staff post op to get your pain management cocktail just right. They want your pain controlled as much as you do.

Pain control shouldn't be a problem, you already have figured out that people do too much because of better pain management. Beware of orthopedic fixes, the only fixes you will need is rest and ice.

How much swelling did everyone have when you were discharged?

I am trying to see if I need oversize clothes.

Sweat pants work great so do loose fitting slip on shorts. I used the shorts in the hospital post-op and wore Champion slip on pants after that, it was cold when I had mine done.

Thank you. I have lots of elastic waist capri pants.

Did your regular size fit ?

Swelling varies, and surgeons aren't very confident in predicting who will have lots of swelling and who won't.

I had minimal swelling. Yes, my operated leg did swell, but not so much that I needed to change clothing.

I have lots of elastic waist capri pants.

While the elastic waist is important to make them easy to get on and off, I found that it was more important to wear pants that are loose-fitting so they didn't rub on the incision. My regular size did fit, but in my case, most of the swelling was in my lower leg, not at the hip itself. I ended up wearing loose shorts for the first couple of weeks when I was at home.

Thank you. I have lots of elastic waist capri pants.

Did your regular size fit ?
Yes, I still wear them as they are my normal size. only swelling I had was a slight amount in my thigh. I iced continually from the time I made it to the room post-op and for weeks at home with an icing machine.

How much swelling did everyone have when you were discharged?

I am trying to see if I need oversize clothes.
Hi @HollyNY I thought I would have lots of swelling so I bought some oversized pants as well as easy access tearaway pants with velcro down the sides. I no longer wear dresses, but did also buy a couple of loose fitting dresses thinking I would need them post-surgery.

All of these are now packed away and I have not used them once because I only had some swelling in the upper hip area on the side where the incision was and most of my regular sized pants fit.

I did get some cotton men's boxers that I wear at home over my normal underwear. I find these useful.

I have some loose fitting dresses once I get home but planned on pants or shorts for the hospital.

I wore men’s boxer shorts from Gap and Old Navy, and loose yoga pants. Lightweight sweat pants for outdoors, slip on dresses too..I had a lot of swelling and bruising for the first two three weeks but remarkably little pain, just some tenderness around the incision. Did not wear leggings or jeans for at least a month.

Hi @Reefboy we will get to September and have our new hips for the holidays.

Hi HollyNY,

Looking forward to get moving again. I was wondering what your arthritic symptoms were. I really don’t have much groin pain, but have the majority of pain in my lateral hip near my buttocks. My Chiropractor seems to think it’s gluteal tendinopathy caused my overall hip dysfunction. Needless to say, I’m scared the pain will persist after the replacement.

@Reefboy I have right hip dysplasia where the bones don't fit together correctly. Hence the early arthritis.

I thought the arthritis was due to my taking aerobics classes 3x per week for 15 years. The surgeon said nope.

Pain for me snakes from the hip to the groin and down toward my knee. The hip is bone on bone. If it is bearing weight it is hurting.

The only thing that helps is the hot water in the shower.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back