THR Ellie’s THR Bonanza

Hello EllieB,
Great to hear from you and it sounds like you’re doing well! I’m sorry you had such a rough night on Tuesday. Thankfully you‘re feeling better. It sounds like you‘ve established a routine and you’re in the groove! :egypdance:
A peaceful evening to you and your friend Ice. :ice:
@EllieBelly

Oh also wanted to add that while this is all happening, my husband is off work and taking care of our 6 month old boy, who I was previously home with all day and even though I see him plenty I can’t pick him up! And I miss him so much! Somehow in one week since surgery I swear he’s grown so much. He’s the main reason I’m doing this, so I can run around and enjoy his childhood with him :loveshwr: he’s my driving force to get better and recover properly. I would post a photo of his perfect cute face but I don’t know the rules haha.

Awww I am so happy for you! You sound like you are in good spirits and doing well other than the sweaty night. A 6 month old baby and hip surgery oh boy you do have your hands full I'd say but you're right! Once you've recovered you will be able to run around with him all you want. In the meantime I am imagining a cute rolly polly of a baby so just enjoy that and let your husband do the hard work!

Heading to my first physio appointment tomorrow, exactly 2 weeks post op. I’m nervous! I know my muscle tone is terrible, I was an avid gym goer prior to the pandemic but in the last two years I spent one of them living it up with baking (my hobby) and the other being pregnant and then raising a newborn so that gym bod is GONE.

Oh well this is where I’m at now, I’m really looking forward to getting better and hopefully getting back to being in shape and active again. I have definitely been feeling some post op blues this week because I’m so tired of feeling so limited and useless. I’m 32! I know this sucks for anyone at any age, I’m just throwing myself a quick pity party and then back at it. Bright side is I have time to read, which normally my baby would absolutely not allow haha.

Good Morning @EllieBelly
I just read of a personal concern of yours as you were supporting another on their thread, so I thought I’d drop this article off for you to read in case you haven’t yet. Hopefully it makes sense and eases your mind a bit -

As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.

I wish you the best at your Physio appt tomorrow. Please take it slow and don’t do anything you’re uncomfortable with, or anything that hurts.

I am sorry you’re feeling blue. It’s prime time for that at this point in recovery. You’re feeling better, but still frustratingly limited. I believe getting out tomorrow will help. The more you feel like part of the world again. The better you‘ll feel mentally.
Good Luck! Please let us know how it goes.

@EllieBelly sorry you're feeling down, it seems to catch all of us at one time or another during recovery. I agree with Layla that the trip out to therapy tomorrow will probably help brighten up your day. Getting back out in the real world even for a limited time seems to help. Definitely take it easy and don't continue to do anything at therapy if it hurts, slow and easy is what you need, you're not training at this point. Just keep focusing on doing this right so you can get to running around with that sweet baby.

I found out a few months after my THR that I was going to be Grandma to twin boys and just love every minute of rolling and crawling around on the floor with them. Could have never done that before the THR.

Hi! Excited to hear about your first PT. Did anyone come to the house to do PT at all? I had 3 weeks of PT at home 3 times a week and then went to outpatient. It definitely helped loosen me up but going to your fist PT will be exciting! Getting out of the house and seeing the world again is huge. Take care and don't let them push you to do things you aren't ready for. I am assuming the first one will be an assessment to see where you are phyically and they will start from there. Good luck!

I found out a few months after my THR that I was going to be Grandma to twin boys and just love every minute of rolling and crawling around on the floor with them. Could have never done that before the THR.

That’s so exciting! Congrats, it’s so nice to hear about these outcomes that allow us to feel connected to our families. I look forward to joining my son on the floor again!

Hi! Excited to hear about your first PT. Did anyone come to the house to do PT at all? I had 3 weeks of PT at home 3 times a week and then went to outpatient. It definitely helped loosen me up but going to your fist PT will be exciting! Getting out of the house and seeing the world again is huge. Take care and don't let them push you to do things you aren't ready for. I am assuming the first one will be an assessment to see where you are phyically and they will start from there. Good luck!
I didn’t have any at home PT. The surgical team gave me some simple exercises to work on for the first two weeks and now I have 6 weeks (including todays first one) of physio once a week. Just got home from that and it went well!

As predicted the biggest issue is my muscle weakness but so far my ROM is actually not bad. She did say something along the lines of “I will get more mean each appointment”, which was said in a jokey fun way and she was very nice but I also right away said that I don’t intend on pushing myself through any pain. I think we ended up on the same page. It feels good to have some new exercises to work on and I can almost ditch my walker!

I just read of a personal concern of yours as you were supporting another on their thread, so I thought I’d drop this article off for you to read in case you haven’t yet. Hopefully it makes sense and eases your mind a bit -
Thank you! I did read this but am still so worried haha. The physio did also acknowledge that it’s quite significant. I’m being patient and giving it more time before getting too anxious about it.

Oh yes muscle weakness is real! I was also pretty in shape but after 3 months of being stagnant and not doing much other than laying around my right leg was half the size of my left one from the loss of muscle mass! So now we ar working on going up the stairs the right way and being able to lean down without doing a golfers reach. It all takes a massive amount of time so again be patient.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoying steady progress.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@EllieBelly

Thank you! I was thinking about checking in to update. Also maybe you can update my thread title since I am well past the terrible start, Ellie’s THR Bonanza. Thanks! And no problem If that’s not possible!

I am moving around so much better, no cane in the house but using it outside still. Had my mother as well as my mother in law help out with our baby for 2 weeks and tomorrow is our first test run of me trying to care for him during the day while my husband steps in as needed. He’s been given 3 weeks of working fully from home so hopefully by the end of that we can get back to almost normal. Although that seems unlikely, I don’t think I’d feel comfortable being home alone yet should anything happen.

I am feeling like I am in that weird zone of recovery where things feel much much better and it’s almost deceptive in making you think you are more healed than you are. I’m finding it tough to navigate when doing things around the house. Sometimes I go to do something out of habit and am surprised to find my hip won’t allow me because I almost forgot I have some limitations. Then other days, after a tiny misstep on the stairs, I feel like I am back on the couch with an elevated leg and lots of ice.

Also still a huge leg length difference. I saw my surgeon at 3 weeks and he emphasized stretching and didn’t seem too worried. Trying to be patient. It was very cool to see my hip X-ray. His approach, direct superior, has no restrictions (besides anything on the extreme end of course) so that’s also been interesting and hard to wrap my head around. My physio also has been encouraging me to trust my hip, while still being very careful and deliberate with my movements.

Anyway I guess that’s it! It’s quite a journey. Happy to hear from others about their healing around this stage and that transition to having more freedom and figuring out your limits. Hope everyone is doing well!

@EllieBelly you seem to be doing very well. Happy to hear that you are listening to your body and not doing things that bother you. That feeling just a bit too good stage is where a lot of folks get in trouble but you seem to be on the right track!.

Did your Dr tell you how much leg length discrepancy you had? Glad you are feeling better!

@EllieBelly I understand about leg length difference. I had my first hip done in 2014. I had a 7/8” difference. I had to have lifts put on my shoe. The first eight pair, if I’m remembering correctly, was paid for by insurance. It was an error, it wasn’t a covered item but since they listened to the calls, where they told me it was, they paid. I have more respect for those “this call may be recorded for quality assurance” now LOL. After that, I had to visit a cobbler any time I bought new shoes.

I had my second hip done in 2018. The first time I stood up at the hospital, I said “holy moly", I’m even”!

Marie

Did your Dr tell you how much leg length discrepancy you had? Glad you are feeling better!
Unfortunately not. He said they will do measurements at my next follow-up appointment, which is in 2 weeks. I find it very hard to gauge, but it feels huge! Do you have any experience with this?

@EllieBelly I understand about leg length difference. I had my first hip done in 2014. I had a 7/8” difference. I had to have lifts put on my shoe. The first eight pair, if I’m remembering correctly, was paid for by insurance. It was an error, it wasn’t a covered item but since they listened to the calls, where they told me it was, they paid. I have more respect for those “this call may be recorded for quality assurance” now LOL. After that, I had to visit a cobbler any time I bought new shoes.

I had my second hip done in 2018. The first time I stood up at the hospital, I said “holy s**t, I’m even”!

Marie
Nice to hear that worked out haha. Frustrating to have to do that with all your shoes though, this is what I am worried about. That it will never correct itself. My other hip isn't in great shape but doesn't need a replacement, yet. If/when it does, it will be many many years from now. So I am really banking on this discrepancy not sticking around. They always seem so confident to tell you that it will be fine, but hearing from yourself and others in fact saying that it was never fixed until the second replacement has me slightly concerned. Oh well, at the end of the day I would rather not be in pain!

Sorry I was the bearer of bad news. I heard the same thing, it’ll be fine but it wasn’t. I’m good now....second hip had me even and now I’ve had both knees replaced too!

Marie

Do you have any experience with this?
No, this is my first Thr but I know when i woke up my leg was turning in and felt way too long! But everyday it is feeling more normal. My doctor said I was 8mm shorter and something about having to adjust it 4mm so know I'm 4 mm longer. I heard cm but my husband said no mm. I looked up 4 cm and that was like an 1 and a 1/2 inches. I think I would tip over..lol
So I hope it was mm.. Dr seemed to act like it was not alot but it still feels too long. I put a shoe on the shorter leg and that felt horrible so it must not be that much longer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back