TKR Introducing myself deciding if I should get TKR

jth6578

Country
United States United States
Hi I am new here. I just turned 44. I went to the orthopedic and he said I needed TKR. I got shot in my left knee but not the right because it Is my weaker knee. The PA told me he wasn’t sure if one of the doctors at there will do the surgery because the hospital might be to small for the care I need since I am still young. So he was going to talk to the doctors and see if one of them would be willing to do it If not they were going referral me another doctors at bigger hospital. The day after my appointment I got call from my doctor’s office saying one of the doctors are willing to see me. I am seeing him July 1st.
I have mixed feelings about if I want TKR because in the last 2 years I have had foot surgery, 2 back surgeries, parathyroid surgery and I just had gallbladder surgery. I really don’t want another surgery but if it will help me. I walk with walker mainly and cane for short distances. My right knee has been hurting and buckling and I feel like it weak. So I kinda want it done. I have to talk to my back doctor June 29th to see what he thinks. I kind of think my knee is holding me up from walking better. But I know how hard TKR can be but I worked really hard to get where I am so far so I know I can do it. I hoping I will only be out of work for 6 weeks.

Reactions: shr
Hi and Welcome!

Whenever you are in doubt about a surgery it is a good idea to get more than one opinion. You’ve had a lot of surgery in the last 2 years. I suggest going to a big city area to get an opinion from a surgeon who sees lots of different cases, and has lots of experience.

Here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I can understand your hesitation in proceeding with TKR after enduring the number of surgeries you have over the past two years. I’m sorry you had to experience so many procedures. Total Knee Replacement will eliminate the pain, instability and worry over when your knee may buckle next, possibly causing a fall. Depending upon your occupation, returning to work at only six weeks post op is pretty ambitious. We normally recommend a Phased Return To Work at twelve weeks, but understand that some members are unable to take that amount of time. I’ll leave an article on Phased Return to Work HERE as an example of what we advise.
Best wishes for your appointment on July 1st. Please let us know how it goes. :)
@jth6578

I looked into it and I am able to take family leave. I didn’t take it for my gallbladder because I didn’t have enough hours to get then I looked into it I was short 133 hours so now that I am back at work I trying to get the hours I need to be able to go on it. I hate the idea of being home not being able to do much.
I am planning on going back to school in the fall. I am looking into taking some online classes at the community college so I can transfer to state college for accounting. So if I have the surgery I am hoping for the end of July. It kind of depends what my Doctors say. I don’t really want another surgery but I want to just feel better.
I made a list of questions to ask my doctor so I don’t forget anything.

My friend, if you have recovered from 2 spinal surgeries, TKR will be much simpler. Recovery from my spinal surgery was a nightmare and I too worried when I found out I was facing THR.
I hate the idea of being home not being able to do much.
Each day will bring new abilities and mobility. Patience with that new knee will reward you with doing all that you enjoy.

So he was going to talk to the doctors and see if one of them would be willing to do it If not they were going referral me another doctors at bigger hospital.
You shouldn't be going to a doctor that is not skilled and experienced in doing a TKR. I 'interviewed' 5 doctors before I decided on the one that did my surgery. You can do research online. Just one of the sites is called Surgeon's Scorecard. There are many others out there. You probably will need to go to a big city to find someone that will be good for you. Please don't settle for someone who would be willing to do it. That's not the kind of experienced surgeon you need!

I agree that it's a good idea to look into a couple of doctors and find one who does lots of total knees. As far as returning to school (even online) you will want to keep in mind that most people aren't in great shape for a lot of concentrating for several weeks. As for me, I wouldn't have wanted to do school work before 6-8 weeks.

Welcome to Bonesmart! You’re much too young to be relying a walker or cane because of your knee! I agree about the second opinion. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with the first one you mentioned.

What is your occupation?

Marie

My friend, if you have recovered from 2 spinal surgeries, TKR will be much simpler. Recovery from my spinal surgery was a nightmare and I too worried when I found out I was facing THR.
thank you for saying that I am worried about the recovery but I made it through two back surgeries to get here.

Welcome to Bonesmart! You’re much too young to be relying a walker or cane because of your knee! I agree about the second opinion. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with the first one you mentioned.

What is your occupation?

Marie
My occupation is Dog Trainer but because of my restrictions I am cashier they allow me to sit at the register.

I definitely think I am to young to be walking with walker and I feel like I don’t trust my knee and that’s why I can’t walk without holding on to something. That’s why I might be okay getting knee replacement.

Yes, you are too young to be unable to walk without support if there is a better alternative…and there is. Please let us know how your next appointment goes. We’re here for support always.
Have a great Wednesday! :)
@jth6578

What is your occupation?

Marie
My occupation is Dog Trainer but because of my restrictions I am cashier they allow me to sit at the register.
FYI, sitting may not be the best thing. Many of us cannot sit for certain periods of time. I’m guessing you’re at a pet store....not a sitting job that you can ice & elevate at. IMO, six weeks is way too soon.

Marie

If there is a lot of pain, a TKR will help a LOT.

NOTE: Do a lot of pre-hab flexibility exercises like lying in bed doing heel slides, contracting the quads, lifting the leg, walking, strength training, aqua fitness (this was PRICELESS to me because it got my whole BODY toned up!), and any other exercises your surgical team gives you.

I did 8-9 weeks of aqua fitness classes 5 days per week at my local YMCA, with some home exercises i.e. standing squats, standing lunges (NOT moving, just standing in one place), heel raises, PLUS upper body work (because I'd have to push myself up outta my chair!).

The greatest thing about aqua fitness is that it's basically non-impact!

I will tell you that the pre-op Physical Therapy exercises I did, well, they DID kinda hurt my knee, so when I got to be TOO bad, I did them on my back in bed. My old-fashioned ice pack became my bestie.

If you do pre-op exercises, your post-op recovery will be 'WAY easier.

Aquainst1- I am still doing exercises from PT for my back which was exercises for my whole body.

I had my first TKR at age 42. It was great getting my life back and being without pain. I managed to go 11 years before I had to have the other one done. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

I had my first TKR at age 42. It was great getting my life back and being without pain. I managed to go 11 years before I had to have the other one done. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!
Hi, I am 47 about to get a TKR on my right leg due to a fall accident that crush my tibia plateau. How well is the knee holding up from the first TKR. My worry is that I’ll need TKR revision later in life due of my age and wear of the TKR.

@Newbai....please try not to worry about needing a revision at some point down the road. Today's implants are good and no one really knows how long they will last as not enough time has passed for an accurate evaluation. But it's quite possible that a knee could last 20 years or more. Should you need a revision, both implants and surgical procedures will be even more advanced than they are today. Revisions are done successfully now for a variety of reasons and patients go on to have an active life. You should do just fine!

Hello and welcome! I'm a one who was/is on the younger side to have had TKR done, but it was SO worth it. I started having knee pains as a child, progressively got worse as I got older. I was 20 when diagnosed with arthritis and had to go about 20 more years before I found someone who listened to me on how bad the pain was. I was 39 when I saw the ortho for the first time, bone on bone - both knees, multiple bone spurs and my knees were ate up with arthritis. I sat in his office and cried, not just because I needed knee replacements but because I knew I was not crazy and finally had someone who saw the pain I was in. So I had my first knee surgery in 2017 at 40 on my right knee - and then followed up with the left in 2020 at 43. It was simply the best decision I could have made. It gave me my life back, recovery isn't a piece of cake by any means, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been either. I missed out on so much with my kids because of the pain, so here I am trying to make up for it. Read through my recovery threads if you wish, talk to others who are in the same boat, but just know that first 6-8 weeks are the hardest in recovery and when you hit that 10-12 week, you'll start to feel like a new person. Best wishes at your appt!

Update: I saw my back doctor today. He said that i should have the surgery because if it holding me back walking and keeping me progressing my mobility I should do. I asked him about having it locally compared to somewhere else and he said that as long as the doctor does a lot knee replacements I should okay going to local doctor, also said he usually recommends going local for knee replacement surgery because if something happens it best to close to home.
I am feeling a lot better about surgery after Talking to my doctor. I meet my orthopedic tomorrow and I think as long as I like him and he answers all my questions and we agree on things I will have the surgery locally. If not I will ask for referral. I have my question written down on my phone. After making my decision I have to break the news to my boss he is on vacation until next week Wednesday.
I will update again tomorrow after I see my orthopedic. I looking forward to the hard work to get my life back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JennyG42
Recent bookmarks
Back