Knee Infection* Question about dizziness

Has your son’s band had any recent performances? What does he play?
He plays piano and writes his own music along with his bass player. He plays drums too but plays piano much better. They haven't played again anywhere yet but hopefully soon.

Ah, those naps!! I remember them well. During the first couple of months post-op, I would feel a nap coming on around 3-4pm-ish every day and I would recline the couch far back and just let myself fall into that cloud of slumber. :sleep: Lovely!!

Your husband's dioramas are so cool! So creative to make much of it himself. My husband likes to build Lego houses, the kind you buy in a kit. He's built 4 - 3 story businesses; a theater, bank, and others, all with 3 floors and so much detail inside to see. They are considered collector's items as they are only available for a short time before they are discontinued. He's hoping to share with future grandkids (nothing on the horizon, neither of our kids are married yet) but he also enjoys building them. He's got light kits to put inside to light up all the details. Our master closet has boxes of buildings he's saving for retirement. He got a Lego train and put it around our living room tree this year. It's just too bad Covid ruined any company coming over, especially our 2-1/2 year old great niece, who was supposed to come over for NY Day. So great that your husband donates his time to go around and educate others on WW1 and WW2. I remember my parents talking about rationing during the war. My mother was a Depression Baby and scrimped and saved well into her elderly years.

@Catalien45 , so glad you had your neighbors shovel for you. No sitting on the ODIC bench for you or hubby!!! :no-fin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea of the way your husband uses just everyday things, such as teabags ( all parts) in his dioramas! Bet he finds things in your yard & garden, too. That creativity is so inspiring. Our grandson loves to draw, for some time now, it has been dinosaurs & dragons, he likes to draw “ hybrids” of the two, adding his own features that are really creative. Lately, he’s been learning how to make various paper things- paper airplanes, boats,recently a rocket ( shot into the air via blowing through a straw... he made some tiny ones that Really went up!). He’s always loved making things, even as a little guy. Once, I’d burned myself on the little hot glue gun we were using; next time, he didn’t think I should use it....” do you think I’m not responsible enough?”..... to which he shook his little head with a firm “no” . I’m working on having some fun projects that we can pursue when he is with us 2 days a week again this summer. I have a lot of materials from when I did some crafts years back, but have not had time to do for a long time. Our daughter quite often makes things with him. For Christmas gifts, they made some “ shrinky dink“ gifts for us all ( can’t believe that stuff is still around). Mine was a bracelet with tiny shrinks dink charms, for Grandpa & his Dad, he made little bowls. So I’m looking forward to that.
I’m working hard to stay off that ODIC bench! Yesterday was a full day, & I forgot about a nap. I did manage to stay off the bench, but, found myself nodding off several times during our nightly “ Hercule Poirot” episode. It was a close call! We saw my surgeon today, and he was very pleased with my progress. He said I should be OK with just the one more PT session if we didn’t get any additional ones from insurance, just to be sure I had a plan, and, I told him they had given me some print outs of exercises,. He liked my extension, & said, “ it can take a year for full recovery”(.hmmmmm....where have I heard That statement??☺️). So! I’m resisting the urge to tackle the freezer downstairs, lest I land on the ODIC bench.. Interestingly enough, it was 9 degrees when we got up at 6:30, & now, at 3:30 pm, it is sunny and 41 degrees, then predicted temperature of 6 tonite! Our weather is crazy here. It’s even Warm on our front porch, where the sun hits of an afternoon.
And yes! The time with our grandson is very special to all of us. Mama died of cancer when I was 17, before any of her grandchildren were born, and my husband’s Mother died when our daughter was 4 and our son still a baby. So my siblings & I have always cherished being Grandmas. We feel very blessed.
....time for my midday antibiotic, so I will close this. Have a lovely rest of your day ( possibly sleep?....not sure what time you are there). And stay warm & take good care of that toe.

@Catalien45 Thank you for your lovely message on my husbands behalf, yes he can look at what I would call a piece of rubbish/trash and see the potential for an engine part or even a tiny, tiny belt for a figure- he is lucky he can work in such tiny scale, his health issues don’t affect his hands.
Your grandson sounds so creative! I love that he doesn’t think you are “responsible“ enough to use hot glue :rotfl: I never had children but until Covid kept us locked away from each other I always had open house for the children in the neighbourhood, would teach them about gardening and local bird life and Christmas time we had days for gingerbread cookies and simple candies- they add so much energy to your life.
You had a great visit with your OS, you can certainly handle your own physio from now but I would definitely steer clear of the freezer , that ODIC bench has lots of room…:eyebrows:
You are about 6 hours behind me, the only time it’s different is on the day the clocks go forward/back.
Hope your day was easy and tomorrow is even easier!

I have just spent a good hour reading all these wonderful posts, I'm learning so many new things, I'd never heard of a dioramas, now I know @eire how very talented your husband is, what a lovely hobby. @Catalien45 living in a Sunny Climate makes me so envious of your snow, and walking in it, many years ago, in my early twenties I worked at a Ski Resort in Austria, what fun those days were.. there is something magical about snow, up until 5 years ago we went skiing annually. Mostly in Andorra as its within driving distance ( about 12 hours) we also skiied in Livigno in Italy & many times in Austria. For me now those days are now over, especially with two new replacements I have no desire to get in harms way, as skiing now is quite brutal and very little etiquette on the slopes, my last skiing trip, I ended in in hospital with two broken ribs from a group of reckless snowboarders whom were jumping over rocks without looking below. Needless to say they scarpered and left me lying face down, and embarrassed in the snow, fortunately another couple witnessed it & called an ambulance, with broken ribs, there is nothing one can do other than bed rest, however my husband refused to ski alone after so we cut our holiday short & came home. He would love to go skiing again, I'm happy to go with him on holiday but he would have to ski solo.

What are cheese grits? Another word unknown to me, I assume its pieces of cheese baked maybe :chinstroke:

Having only 1 daughter ( 28 years old) whom is fairly carrier minded, it may be a while before I get any grandchildren, although recently she mentioned it's on the cards, I only had Gabriella when I was in my thirties, I originally wanted a big family but it wasn't meant to be, after having Gabriella despite taking no precautions, it never happened again, it was difficult conceiving in the first place, a lovely story...I married at 26 and after we had settled and were able to think about creating a home,we decided to start our family, after several years of trying a Chinese friend kept telling us our bed was facing the wrong way, we laughed this off until finally we decided there was no harm in trying...we turned our bed round, one month later, the same Chinese friend told me, prior to me suspecting I was pregnant, how she knew is still a mystery... despite the bed still facing the same position it never happened again but Gabriella was a blessing x

Time now for me to bend my stiff knee and get out of bed, the weather has improved although now it is cold at only 7 degrees however it is forecasted 20 degrees later today another Sunny day, I might just venture into the garden and chat to my plants, they have been somewhat neglected x

Wishing you all a relaxed pain free weekend xx

our bed was facing the wrong way, we laughed this off until finally we decided there was no harm in trying...we turned our bed round
just a lovely story. I'd love to hear that over and over.

@Catalien45, I'm ordering you to stay off the ODIC bench :)

Last edited:
just a lovely story. I'd love to hear that over and over.
Me too, just lovely!!! :loveshwr:

I never got much grandma time as a youngster either. My mom's mom passed away when I was 4 and my dad's mom when I was 8 or 9. My mom's dad passed before I was born. I remember my grandpa (dad's dad) the best, his Swedish blessing I can still recite from memory, my mom and I would help take him grocery shopping and I'd stay after to help him clean his house. He used to keep Hershey chocolate bars in the "cooler" cupboard by the sink for us grandkids. A cupboard that had a square of wire mesh on the outside of the house to let air in to keep things cool inside. He passed when I was 13, almost 14. My kids have had better grandparent times, although on my side there were lots of health problems with my parents (Alzheimer's for mom and other issues with my dad) when my kids were young. My husband's dad is still alive at 90.

I don't know if I will see any grandchildren for awhile yet. Daughter is 23 and also driven. She's earning her Vet Tech degree right now and completed her Biology degree a couple of years ago. Son (27) is still trying to figure himself out. He has a computer science degree and is brilliantly gifted in both computers and music. He has a long time girlfriend but she has health issues so not sure if they can handle having kids. Both kids still live at home in this post-covid world. I'm not in any hurry, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Sitting here on the couch enjoying all these posts. @ Eire1.... yes, our little Avi has quite a sense of humor, although I think he was dead serious about the glue gun. Both his parents are creative in their own way. They both have jobs in the computer field, but our son in law loves to create music, and our daughter is a fabric arts aerialist for the past 10 years or so. It scared me at first, but she is so beautiful & graceful in action. (And strong as an ox, although she is rather small... it takes a lot of strength & muscle power). Since Covid, she works out some with a close friend, and at their home, where, weather permitting ( not lately), she can workout on her rig in their rather large backyard. She regularly does a lot of craft things with Avi, & he loves it. It’s interesting, his little hand is so confident & sure. Right now, he & his Daddy are working together on a project where Avi creates dinosaur original drawings & Dad creates a background for each one.

As this is now Sunday, I’m just now finishing this.. @ SusieQ, I just saw your post. Our daughter’s husband also works in the computer world, but loves music, and, like your son, writes some of his own music. Our daughter has worked for IBM for about 24 years now. I’m Still a dunce when it comes to the computer world! I loved your stories about your Grandpa. Very warm memories . Papa’s Dad died when I was 10, his Mom lived well into her 80’s. I never knew either of Mama’s parents. Her Dad was older when she was born, and her Mother died during the flu & pneumonia Pandemic in 1919 when she was 6 months old, probably indirectly from the Pandemic. She’d had surgery & died “ due to complications from anasthesia” on the death certificate. And, at that time, many hospitals had to put Pandemic patients in the surgery ward. As bad as this Pandemic is, medicine has come a long way. We’re trying to build lots of happy memories with little Avi, especially during this Pandemic. Btw, I must tell you and @Sara61, for years, our daughter told us that she did not plan to have children. She love kids, but chose not to have any of her own. Then she met her now husband. And is now happily married with our sweet little Avi. She was 42 when she had him....my husband was 75, I was 70! So, you both have plenty of time

@Sara61.... I loved your story on the bed direction. My Drs who had treated me when I had colitis at 20 told my OB that I probably could not get pregnant due to all the peritonitis & surgeries I’d had then. But, 6 months later, we were expecting our daughter! When her brother arrived 3 1/2 years later, as he grew, I was reminded I’d said for years that I wanted to have “ half a dozen little boys”; we often laughed that I got all 6 - in one rambunctious little bundle! He was Busy!

Grits well first, they are Delicious! They’re a grain made from corn. I believe I’m right here, actual Grits are white, made from ground, dry hominy. ( I Don’t like hominy,one of the few foods I don’t like.) But grits are far different. The hominy is ground,fairly fine, then you cook them & serve several ways. Mama would often cook them & put lots of butter on them, served with sausage, sometimes eggs. We ate them savory, although some folks put sugar & mix in. What I use is actually Polenta, you might be familiar with that. I cook them for a fairly long time, with the cheese, & we have a fried egg on top. Polenta is used in some Italian dishes, and, our son’s Italian girlfriend explained that they are quite different. But we really like ours & find it very similar to grits.

@ Hawk2go, I’m curious... how do you make your cheese grits. I start mine with a small chunk of Velveeta, salt & a little Parmesan. When they are nearly done, I add another small chunk of Velveeta & some grated sharp cheddar cheese & let them simmer for a few minutes more. And please correct if I got anything wrong. It looks like you are a fellow appreciator of them also. Btw, I am working hard to stay Off the ODIC bench! Yesterday I Did tackle the freezers (felt good to get that done!). And didn’t do anything else. Planned to tackle the landing area to the basement that I use for some storage; several years ago, my husband built me some wonderful, sturdy shelves, as our kitchen storage is quite sparse. It’s a Mess at present & badly needs organizing , but today we took down our tree & most decorations, so, that will have to wait til tomorrow. Trying to stick to my rule of only ONE project a day, then rest! I still “ tucker out” more easily than I used to. Learning to listen to my body.......

Btw, @ SusieQ, your husband’s LEGO sets sound really neat... especially the train. Our son loved Legos growing up, & saved them all. When he first moved to Germany as a grad student, he was talking to my husband, & then asked for me ( this was before FaceTime). I thought, sounded serious. Then he asked me, “could you keep my Legos at your house? There isn’t room on the crate I’m allowed for the move to Germany”. I still chuckle at that. Our daughter has them now, & our Grandson , just getting into the LEGO world, gets to play with them. They are wonderfully creative ( except when you step onto a small piece barefoot!).

OK everybody! Time to heat up some leftover pizza for our lunch! Everyone have a lovely rest of your day.. sunny & 34 here. Nice

Oh yes! My hubby saved all his old Legos and we've saved our son's Legos too. Hubby remembers when his mother gave away all of his Hot Wheels cars and he vowed he'd never give away his Legos. (We've saved son's Hot Wheels cars and we have two sets of those Chevron cars, saving for future grandkids) He built these low tables down in our old rec room (in our old house) and they used to play with all of the Hot Wheels, Play Mobil and Legos on that table when my son was young. Daughter played too. Ahhh, those early days....what fun. I guess hubby still has a boy inside him with his adult interest in Lego kits. He gets it from his dad. They did a lot of model railroading and my father in law built a big set up in his retirement too with trains.....

@Catalien45 I have to say I love how you write, I feel like I really am starting to know you and your family!
Your mention of Legos really reminded me of when we first moved from Florida to Ireland, we brought a big set of Legos and we became the rural household all the local children would love to hang out at- that set of Lego was passed down between cousins as each household grew up- the same set was still in use 20 years later and still just as loved!
Thank you for reminding me of it:)

@Catalien45, it sounds like you followed my direction well - no ODIC for you :yes!:

As to cheese grits, I like very sharp and pungent cheese. There's a story about a flight from Paris that I'll have to share one day - lol. I don't often make cheese grits but when I did recently, I used an extra sharp cheddar that had been aged for 4 years, yummy. The preparation was similar to yours, except I added a bit of cream in the boil to enhance the richness. Salt, pepper and cheese rounded out the ingredients. I like yellow "grits" better than white because they cook up creamier and reconstitute nicely if I need to refrigerate them for later. With the recent popularity of polenta, the yellow grits (although a coarser grind than polenta) have become harder to find. Jim Dandy is my favorite commercial brand but I have gotten some really good grits from local PA farmers in recent years.

Grits, something I've never tried. Living up in Washington, it's not a common item found in restaurants and my parents, being of Scandinavian heritage, it's not something we ever had. I can tell you about the many failed attempts my mother had at making Lutefisk!! :yikes::rotfl:

You haven't lived until you've had good shrimp and grits, and that's coming from a California boy!

@ Hawk2go, your grits sound yummy. I also love the extra sharp cheese, especially aged. Are you familiar with Tallegio cheese? It’s An Italian cheese that our son introduced us to....has a very “funky”, pungent taste. I don’t care for it cold.... but, put a little into eggs, or a grilled cheese sandwich, and cooked, it gives an Incredible taste; you don’t taste the cheese , but it makes most anything you’re cooking sooo good! It’s pricey over here, but worth it. In Italy, very inexpensive, our son’s Italian girlfriend got a big kick out of the price over here. As to leftover cheese grits, when I read your post to my husband, he asked “ leftover cheese grits.... what’s That?? They never have a chance at our house!” True.
@ SusieQ, we used to have a small, old-fashioned grocery store in our small town. Much to my sadness, they closed several years ago. But they always carried the fish you talked about, also longenberries. I never tried the fish, it looked a bit challenging. Never seen it anywhere else. Although, when we were first married in 1970, we lived southeast of Boston in the little town of Millis. There was a special shop in one of the big old houses, the owner carried a lot of Scandinavian gifts. And at Christmas time, she would celebrate the festival of St Lucia, complete with the special cookies & a hot drink, with a tall pretty young girl wearing the headress with the lighted candles serving the cookies on a tray, if I remember correctly. It was on a Sunday, and anyone could come. It’s a lovely, warm memory.
@ FCBayern..I’ve never had shrimp & grits, but years ago, when we lived in Texas & our kids were younger, we went several years for our vacation to Rockport. There was a restaurant we loved to go to there called Charlotte Plummer’s Cafe. They made a dish I loved, called “Shrimp Tampico” It was shrimp in a cheese cream sauce, served over rice ( possibly a little saffron?) I’ve never seen it or found a recipe anywhere, & think it was possibly a good seafood recipe their cooks had come up with......Just checked for my curiosity... it’s still there! Your grits & rice called up that delicious memory . Thanks!

he asked “ leftover cheese grits.... what’s That?
hahahaha - yeah we have few dishes like that, there is no such thing as "left over". I think I have had tallegio cheese but can't recall the flavor. I will have to find some now to add to my eggs, looks like it melts nicely.

The Shrimp Tampico sounds good. There are many varieties of shrimp and grits but my favorite preparation is the Low Country version with bacon gravy though the spicy Louisiana version runs a very close 2nd. You already have the grits recipe down, might as well try the shrimp topping. It's fairly easy to make. I get excited when the topic turns to food:) :-) (:

And at Christmas time, she would celebrate the festival of St Lucia, complete with the special cookies & a hot drink, with a tall pretty young girl wearing the headress with the lighted candles serving the cookies on a tray, if I remember correctly. It was on a Sunday, and anyone could come. It’s a lovely, warm memory.
Yes, very familiar with that. We've never celebrated it but I'm very aware of it. So glad you have such a nice memory of it.

he asked “ leftover cheese grits.... what’s That??
It's like those people who wonder what to do with leftover wine, who has leftover wine????:what:

I learned of St. Lucia when my daughter and family lived in the Netherlands. Now they live in Spain and we have to learn a new set of traditions.

I will have to write some family stories for our grandson. My middle sister who will be 79 in May, has been working on some family stories, several times, she has sent a copy to the rest of us. When we were all quite small ( maybe before I was born?), our Dad’s younger brother, “Doots” was his nickname, sent a beautiful fir tree from the Northwest, where he lived at the time to our family in Texas. Papa wrote & illustrated a story, “ Noel Doots”, on construction paper, the illustrations in crayon. He would read it to my sisters & me every Christmas. Even as an adult, when he’d be at our house & read to my kids, I’d always have to sit along side to hear him read. His voice was magical. My older sister has the original, & made copies for us all several years ago.
@ SusieQ... the St Lucia celebration was really special. I think maybe there were some special cookies. Maybe you & your daughter could make that part of your cookie swap. I remember the photo of the two of you, I was thinking, she would make a beautiful Lucia.
Btw, I keep meaning to ask you, how is your dog, and her best friend? I remember they both had kennel cough. Hoping both are better. And how are you & your family doing? It sounds like you have all really been through it. We just got word that my niece in California is probably canceling a planned trip here in early February due to Covid. We all hate it, but, she’s probably wise. Omicron is really bad here....yesterday, our Pharmacy was closed as they had so many of the staff out sick. Our grandson has two of his teachers out with it, & 7 of the 22 in his class were out yesterday. We’re postponing seeing the kids for my Birthday next week, we can do it later. Our daughter worries that our grandson could get it & pass it to us ( thankfully, he is vaccinated). I do hope you are all well on the mend.
@ Hawk2go, I’m like you, I can talk food anytime. Both your dishes sound Soo good! My Grandmother was originally from Louisiana, and many years ago when I worked one summer in a Girl Scout camp in Nebraska, I must have talked about her gumbo. On weekends when we had no campers, we could do our own cooking in the big kitchen there. One of my fellow staffers .begged me to make the gumbo... so, I wrote my Grandmother for her recipe. She sent it in a letter, & I’ve recently re-located it on our very messy desk downstairs. It is in her very distinctive handwriting, so a double treasure. I’m going to print copies for my sisters. ( btw, it was a big hit, and I managed to find ONE can of okra, a necessary ingredient, & probably not a staple in that little town☺)..... I keep thinking about your Low country bacon gravy , my mouth watering. And no doubt, there will be some wonderful new traditions with your daughter & her family in Spain....like Tapas!
When you find the Tallegio, the chunk will get a little funky & weird looking if you keep it for a while; just remove that, & the rest will be fine. I cut tiny chunks & put into the eggs as they cook, ( that’s how our son taught me) ;it just blends in deliciously..... ( do you ever make okra & tomatoes?)
OK, time to sign off. Everyone have a lovely evening...

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts