TKR 4 Weeks now

Angel2672

Country
United States United States
I did have my surgery on 22 Feb. It went well and I am being taken care of amazingly by my daughter and son-in-love (with lots of help from my 5-year old GSon!) Unfortunately, I have been having lots of difficulty with nausea, no appetite and insomnia. This is almost worse than the knee pain! The nausea meds are not really helpful.

Any suggestions would be really welcomed.

Jumping in early here, you'll be getting lots of helpful advice to aid your recovery soon. I also lost my appetite and just ate small bland meals, I love my coffee but I couldn't look at it for quite a while. I didn't have nausea but weak tea or by broth may help even if it's a few spoonfuls at a time throughout the day. Most people have insomnia, just seems to be that way and eventually gets better as you heal. Lucky you have a good helper to take care of you and boost your spirits, I'm going to be a first time grandma in September and I can hardly wait. Wish you well.

Hi and Welcome!

As Goma suggested, little bits of food/drink at a time, as you can. I would speak with your doctor or pharmacist, they may have other options for you.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are here to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

We nearly all have insomnia. The worst thing we can do is lie awake worrying about it, which makes it worse.
I just accepted it and just got out of bed, and doing something else, such as reading, TV, radio, YouTube, cooking and eating, or just writing a meandering blog on here.
Never had nausea, so I can't advise on that.
Hang in there, it all comes to an end, so enjoy the journey.

Day 13 for me. Insomnia is definitely one of the pitfalls. I just get up and do what ever until I get tired enough to nap. Living on pizza and I might actually be gaining weight! Pain just runs rampant up and down my leg. One day it is my foot and the next day it is my calf. Definitely a long road but no regrets yet.

I was the same. Look forward to my morning coffee and I turned my nose up at it for a few weeks. I didn't feel like eating but would make sure I had crackers or something to take meds...embarrased to say...even a piece of chocolate bar. Felt nauseous for a few weeks. I lost 20 lbs in the first couple of months from probably not eating much and doing all my exercises. I have returned to normal eating and of course gained back 10 lbs. I could do with losing weight so was kind of hoping it would stay off lol. Recovery is a mental game...sleep when you can (more like naps), snack when you can and don't feel guilty or think there is a right way to do things. Routine gets out of wack, but give it awhile and before you know it you will be back to normal.

I have a long, long post that I hope can be understood to help me to know what I need to do now. I have had both knees TKR (one on 2017 and the other in 2021). I am having incredible difficulties and need to find a way to get my life back. Thank you to anyone who takes time to read and advise. You are appreciated!

RIGHT TKR on 10 November 2017:
IMPLANT: Zimmer Persona size 9

HISTORY: I had the prescribed physical therapy immediately following the surgery, and over the past 3-1/2 years, I have gone to another round of physical therapy, had X-rays to ensure correct alignment of implant, gone through water therapy and had aspiration done to rule out infection. Additionally, on 04 February 2021, I had a NM Bone Scan that showed “photopenia associated with the right knee arthroplasty. There is some increased uptake of the right patella and mild activity along the margin of the prosthesis. Intense activity in the medial compartment of the left knee and mild uptake in the left patella.”

CURRENTLY: Knee is still very, very sore. It is extremely difficult to walk and virtually impossible to kneel, walk around the block, stand for any period of time and to function in any normal way. The pain is consistent and persistent with absolutely no relief since the surgery.

LEFT TKR on 22 February 2021
IMPLANT: Journey 2 Smith & Nephew

HISTORY: I had the prescribed physical therapy immediately following the surgery, and over the past 7 months, I have gone to another round of physical therapy, had X-rays to ensure correct alignment of implant, and gone through water therapy.

CURRENTLY: Knee is still very, very sore. It is extremely difficult to walk and virtually impossible to kneel, walk around the block, stand for any period of time and to function in any normal way. The pain is consistent and persistent with absolutely no relief since the surgery.

Also, there is a very strange thing happening in that every single morning (or any time I take a nap), I am awakened by a severe throbbing pain in my leg from mid-thigh to my ankle. After I get out of bed and slowly start moving around, it dissipates. But it happens every single time and every single morning. This particularly alarms me.

My RTKR surgery was done in Ohio and the LTKR was done in Kentucky. Having two different surgeons in two separate states has, of course, caused problems as well. I want to find a third surgeon who will review and advise for both knees to get these issues resolved once and for all.

@Angel2672 I know you wrote this a couple of months ago, but I see you haven't gotten any replies. I'm so sorry you've been going through this! Sounds like a nightmare. Someone in a different thread mentioned they found out they had a sensitivity or allergy to nickel and that is why their replacements weren't working out. They dealt with horrible pain and other complications. Might be something to look into?

I'm a little nervous about this information because I, too, have a sensitivity to nickel in earrings and I never mentioned it because I haven't worn earrings for years so never thought about it. My progress is normal so far at 4 weeks out but one never knows what the future will bring. Staying positive!

@Angel2672 I know you wrote this a couple of months ago, but I see you haven't gotten any replies. I'm so sorry you've been going through this! Sounds like a nightmare. Someone in a different thread mentioned they found out they had a sensitivity or allergy to nickel and that is why their replacements weren't working out. They dealt with horrible pain and other complications. Might be something to look into?

I'm a little nervous about this information because I, too, have a sensitivity to nickel in earrings and I never mentioned it because I haven't worn earrings for years so never thought about it. My progress is normal so far at 4 weeks out but one never knows what the future will bring. Staying positive!
Not much help I know but I too react to nickel but I made sure when asked about known allergies during pre op formalities, that was recorded,

@Angel2672
Apologies for the delay in receiving a reply to your concerns.
I want to find a third surgeon who will review and advise for both knees to get these issues resolved once and for all.
I agree with finding a second opinion for your knee, hopefully you will get answers to why your knee is still painful.
You can use our Surgeon Locator at the top of the page to start your search.

LEFT TKR on 22 February 2021
IMPLANT: Journey 2 Smith & Nephew
Smith and Nephew knees are covered with Oxinium, a ceramic coating that reduces the chance of an allergic reaction.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom