TKR Muscle spasm?

@Scaredycat10
@BEWITCHED Charm wrote, I wish I had been told about the sedation in more detail really as I had the spinal but was awake.
I could hear everything.. lucky the surgical team were discussing meals so took my mind off noises.

I watched my entire surgery, Anesthesiologist sat with me and explained everything. The funniest was when the Surgeon sawed the ends of the Bone, she said, "You can't take those Bones home to your Dog today". Everyone should have watched the Surgery and then you would better understand your Pain.

I watched my entire surgery
I've watched several on YouTube but cannot even imagine watching or listening to my own. I've been that way, 40 yrs ago asking my OB to turn the mirror before I started delivering my child.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness Ski Bum, I am a nurse and watched many surgeries when I was training but no way could I watch my own knee surgery! Just the sound of the saw would have sent me over the edge.
It does make a lot of sense why we have the pain we do though when they saw the bone, cut through muscle and tendons and nerves. No wonder we have “zingers”.

And here we go again....

Now try to pull that knee up closer further Nelly try to near my belly

Now knees bent with feet apart trying to tuck bum in whilst stifling a f..t

Now get out that plastic liner ( at this part I do wonder)
If I could make it look more dignified by placing a Harrods bag under

Now slide that foot forward athen back
Is it really normal to hear my other knee crack?

Now stand tall bend knees pull in your gluteus maximus
Didn't even know I had one thought he was a character in I Claudius

Now stand tall up on tippy toes and come down nice and slow
I hope I'm almost finished as my face feels all a glow

Phew sit down now elevate and ice
I've always liked mine with a splash of gin
but have to admit this does feel rather nice

Hubby in to lift legs and untangle as they're all a kin
I ask him to give twenty mins while thinking by the time he's put my peas back it will be time to start again!

Oh well hopefully all worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sks1997
What are the " Zingers" are they like an electric shock feeling that makes you jump?
If so I'm having them.. and wondered if normal.

@Scaredycat10
Hi glad your physio is at a good level for yourself it just seems interestingly they do appear to vary a great deal from one country to another which I have to admit does surprise me .

Yep, zingers are nerve pains that feel like electricity! Mine are usually on top of knee.

@ski_bum
Now that's brave!
But nope I don't want to watch my own thanks. Funny I too have been in on operations but I would not like to watch my own.. my eyes are firmly closed at the dentists!

@Sks1997 ah now a name for them thank you.
Funny as you just don't know until others mention things whether what you experience is just happening to you.
That's why this is a good site.
I am pleased as had my first good night's sleep last night. I put a fleecy blanket and a single quilt on top of my mattress. I did wake up a bit hot... But I was sooo pleased to have slept.
Up to now the lack of it has been making it all feel a little like an outer my own body experience.
Take care and thanks for info

@hawk2go
Thank you yes it does make a HUGE difference
I honestly haven't felt myself since the op before today. I have been agitated and although knowing I should be tired has bugged me.
The poetry isn't very good but it keeps me occupied during icing!.
Thanks though

@Scaredycat10
Hi glad your physio is at a good level for yourself it just seems interestingly they do appear to vary a great deal from one country to another which I have to admit does surprise me .
I suppose I'm a bit different as my physio has been treating my knees for years in clinic, knows me, knows my gym capabilities and my determination to 'get there'.
She oversaw my prehab and now my rehab is on track, she's treating the whole of my leg issues as opposed to just overseeing the knee joint. I have continued with her rather than the hospital based physios.

@Scaredycat10
Ah I see. Well you probably have the knowledge of what is happening to your body during physio as well. I on the other hand struggled to get my head around a wound healing but then needing to be disturbed at the same time.

@Scaredycat10
Ah I see. Well you probably have the knowledge of what is happening to your body during physio as well. I on the other hand struggled to get my head around a wound healing but then needing to be disturbed at the same time.
I have had years to prepare for this. I am a carer. I have put this op off as long as I could but I am our legs and the longer I left it, the more of a struggle our day to day life would become.
I haven't had a decent night's sleep for months so no change there then at the moment.

I'm not Wonder Woman. I struggle just as much as anyone but I had no alternative but to be as ready as I could for this op and my physio has been a sort of Personal Trainer in making sure my gym work has optimised my chances of a good recovery and so yes, I've gained a lot of physiology know how.

@BEWITCHED Charm and @Scaredy-cat 10.....both my husband & I enjoy your poems, and your posts. You have a wonderful gift of humor... thanks for sharing it with us all. I’m So glad you slept well last night! I still can only get really comfortable on our couch downstairs still, & some nights still aren’t great, but it’s getting better. Not uncommon for both my husband and me to have a bad night’s sleep, & poor kitty Felicity wears herself out, trying to alternate just Who she should attend to! But it Is getting better, & I’m only 2-3 weeks ahead of you & I think roughly 2 weeks ahead of Scaredy-cat 10. And, I agree So much about the pre-op getting into being better prepared. I had a list of exercises from my Dr to do 2x a day. I did do them, and am convinced they helped. And, I have a good PT. So, wishing you both the best, and especially, more of those good sleep nights. I seem to be having more of them... hopefully, I can move upstairs to our bed before too long.

@Catalien45
Aw bless you for the poem likes- I am not very good but it keeps me busy while icing in a morning!
Gosh can't imagine having to sleep on our sofa as I'm betting mine isn't as wide as the one you have. I'd probably end up on the floor in a heap!
I tell you what though I feel like the princess in the princess and the pea story. I have a single quilt and a teddy blanket on our mattress and my bottom cheek still niggles me.
Yes let's wish us both a good sleep nite nite

Sorry second one was revised version! I don't know how or if I can delete them once posted so sorry about that. My problem is I don't read them back properly before I post them so I am leaving a few mistakes.. but hopefully you will get my drift.
Hopefully sleep will come to me now as yet again it's being Illusive.. hence the silly poem.
Wishing you all well keep safe

@BEWITCHED Charm and @Scaredy-cat 10.....both my husband & I enjoy your poems, and your posts. You have a wonderful gift of humor... thanks for sharing it with us all. I’m So glad you slept well last night! I still can only get really comfortable on our couch downstairs still, & some nights still aren’t great, but it’s getting better. Not uncommon for both my husband and me to have a bad night’s sleep, & poor kitty Felicity wears herself out, trying to alternate just Who she should attend to! But it Is getting better, & I’m only 2-3 weeks ahead of you & I think roughly 2 weeks ahead of Scaredy-cat 10. And, I agree So much about the pre-op getting into being better prepared. I had a list of exercises from my Dr to do 2x a day. I did do them, and am convinced they helped. And, I have a good PT. So, wishing you both the best, and especially, more of those good sleep nights. I seem to be having more of them... hopefully, I can move upstairs to our bed before too long.
I start off in bed and seem to migrate downstairs. It's nearly 3.30am and I'm up. One day, I'll join those who can sleep Sleep is a great healer and so here's hoping we can all recover good sleeping patterns.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts