TKR Benne68's 1st TKR recovery

I also find that I need the cane to help when I get tired. I fall back into a limp when I'm tired.

Last edited:
7 weeks today! Overall, it's been a pretty good week.
  • I've started driving again! (Not sure whether to celebrate, though. Kind of liked having a chauffeur :wink: )
  • I've increased walking distance to 3/4 mile and I'm consistently tracking over 5,000 steps/day on my Fitbit.
  • I've been able to stand for long enough to cook a full dinner 4 of the past 5 evenings. (Today was a busy day, so I decided to let hubby back into the kitchen.)
I'm still dealing with localized pain in The Knee. It bothers me most at night and when I'm trying to do stairs. Still struggling to climb reciprocally -- I can do it with the cane (sort of), but not on my own.

But, the pain is definitely less that it was just a couple of weeks ago. I've been able to reduce the acetaminophen and naproxen doses to the point where I'm noticing that my other knee is talking to me again: She wants to know, "When is it my turn to get fixed?":tantrum:)

Great news, driving is a wonderful achievement ( although I agree with you it is nice to be driven ) and 5000 steps is jolly good going at 7 weeks.
Stairs take a while to accomplish, partly as we are nervous about it, one day you will find that you are suddenly doing it normally, it took me quite a while to master, now I'm back doing one step at a time as my other knee is also very verbal and let's me know in no uncertain terms that it too is ready to be replaced. Best wishes on your continuing recovery :yes!:

I'm guessing you will be doing stairs soon, up, that is. I'm still not able to do down each leg, I have to go down with the bad leg one at a time. What's weird is I did up and down today on a stair in PT that was 6 inches rather than the normal 7 inch stair. Maybe because it was only one step and not a big set that's in my house?

Good news @benne68. I still use my cane for the stairs because I noticed weakness in the operated leg and it feels like I am adding stability while strengthening those weakened muscles when I use the cane. 4 of 5 dinners is impressive, does hubby do the cleanup when you cook?

benne, sounds like an overwhelmingly positive report! Stairs can be difficult for a long time. Though i can go up and down fairly normally MOST days, there are still days i struggle - and, as you see from my dates, I am much further along than you. Hang in there.

Thanks @Sisterpat. I'm not really trying to rush things, but I do want to record my progress -- and challenges -- so I can look back when it's time to do the other knee. Although I know from reading others' stories that every knee is different, I think it will be helpful to have some benchmarks along the road to recovery when I take on #2.

does hubby do the cleanup when you cook?

He does, @hawk2go ! In fact, SOP at our house is I cook, he cleans up. He's also my prep cook when I'm doing big meals.

After 37 years, I have him well trained! :wink:

You are lucky! Married 30 years here and I can't even get my hubby to put his dirty dishes in the sink! Believe me, I've tried. He did do dishes while I was recovering, but begrudgingly. As soon as I was able to do them, the job quickly went back to me. He's still working though, mostly from home. He's hoping to retire in 1-2 years.

Married 30 years here and I can't even get my hubby to put his dirty dishes in the sink!

Gotta train 'em early or all is lost! :heehee:

But, I know I AM a lucky woman. Not only does he do dishes, he makes me a latte before breakfast every morning! I've decided to keep him. :wink:

He sounds like a keeper
My husband is also this way! Now, he gets to do it all over again, as I am having my 2nd replacement this year next week! He assures me it will be easier this time around!
I am cooking and cleaning as much as possible, so when he takes over, I won't feel so bad!

I am cooking and cleaning as much as possible
I did a lot of shopping and cooking before surgery. I felt like a squirrel preparing for winter.

So true! I filled the freezer with soups, stews, etc. to give him a head start on the cooking. Then family and friends showed up with prepared dinners. Funny, they didn't do that when HE had surgery... :shrug:

@benne68
This time I think I am very much more relaxed about the whole process, as I have my old posts on BoneSmart to look back on, it takes most of the worry of not knowing what to expect, I'm sure the pain after will be a good reminder, it is the one factor that after 1-2 years we do tend to forget.
This time I'm not preparing any meals, my husband previously managed really well, on the days he was working he brought tasty takeaways and on the weekends he provided extremely inventive dishes, I could almost say he is far better cook than I :heehee:

I have my old posts on BoneSmart to look back on,
I'm trying to add a weekly status report to my thread for just that reason. I know TKR #2 is not too far in the future and I'm sure having these posts as a benchmark will be a big help.

This time I'm not preparing any meals, my husband previously managed really well,
Making a note of this for future reference! :)

The great thing about the 2nd knee is you know what to expect. My two were very different but the same. I didn't fear the second and was so thankful when it was much easier and my results were better. I'm now looking at number 2 on the first ( revision) and I expect it to be a slow healer just because it just went through the healing process. Praying the final result is positive!

Hi @benne68 I did just the same and documented my first tkr. It really did help this time around. The pain was nowhere near as bad because I knew what to expect. I was relaxed about PT as I knew what I would and would not tolerate and i found the whole process so much easier mentally which helped a lot with the physical aspects. Good luck with knee 2. I am so glad I had mine done. ☺☺

The pain was nowhere near as bad because I knew what to expect.

@dogwalker2 That is music to my ears! I generally have a fairly high threshold for pain and was off the pain meds in just a couple of weeks after my hip replacement. This is a whole different animal!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back