THR Terrible muscle pains

It's a shame you can't give the narcotics another try.. they do constipate many of us but there's ways to counter that.. prune juice and eating an additional few prunes with meals had me humming right along.

Sometimes it feels like they aren't helping but maybe it will need 2-3 doses taken on time to get ahead of the pain.

Good luck with everything, watch the exercises and the walking, rest, ice, elevate and exercise your patience muscle. It does get better. :flwrysmile:

@Eman85 I am doing ankle pumps and rotations, heel slides, buttock contractions, abduction exercise ( sliding leg to side) quadriceps set (thigh tighteners), and straight leg raises with cushion under thigh/knee.10 times each plus haolding for 3-5. Plus the 3 standing - knee raises , standing hip abduction, and standing hip extension. They say these are the basic ones to be done 2-4 times a day. Yesterday I did them twice, last time quite late and didn't sleep very well, think I should have done them earlier! Everyone says you must do them.

Everyone says you must do them.
Who is "everyone"? Not the advice here from members who have already been through this journey - some of us twice. Your hip is telling you all that activity is too much. Listen to it. There is plenty of time for strength building once that hip is fully recovered.

Same questions as, Jaycey. Can’t help but question your words when reading your last post.

They say these are the basic ones to be done 2-4 times a day.

Wondering who “they”are? Have “they” had a hip replaced, followed by a recovery?
last time quite late and didn't sleep very well, think I should have done them earlier! Everyone says you must do them

Again, who is “everyone“? It seems these unnecessary exercises are causing you some discomfort if doing them is disrupting the restorative rest your body needs after the controlled trauma it sustained. As you know, it’s your body, your choice, you have a right to say, No. Heal first, exercise later. There will be plenty of time for that.

Here is the Big Tip from our Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Please give our advice some consideration.

Thanks again @Jaycey and @Layla . By everyone, I mean not only physio at the hospital but my sister-in-law who has had both hips done (but in her late 50s) another friend same age as me (72) who has also had both done about 7 years ago, and at least 5 or more friends who have had theirs done also! So it has been hard to ignore! The good news is, I finally saw a really nice young doctor at my surgery this morning to discuss medication. I had been thinking it over and told her I had found Tramacet ( Tramadol with paracetamol) very helpful and no bad effects before the op, but I didn't want to take it full time if I feel I could manage with just paracetamol so she has given me Tramadol on its own which I could use, say in the night when I have already had 8 paracetamol in the day. Or I can take the Tramacet instead of paracetamol. I understand the limits and am keeping a written record of everything I take and when but I now feel I have more options. I took 2 Tramacet at lunchtime instead of just paracetamol and I feel overwhelmed (in a very good way!) by the fantastic relief I am feeling flooding through my body, nerves and muscles. It is like my body is saying Thank you!!!! And I have just been for a walk in the sunshine with my partner, the furthest so far ( just by a little) and though I felt a bit tired now I am resting again I feel great! @CricketHip was right about giving the narcotics another try. I feel it is finally giving me a chance for my body to work on healing. I WILL be careful with the exercises as you all say and listen to my body if it says 'No'! Thank you all from a very relieved hippy!!!

By everyone, I mean not only physio at the hospital but my sister-in-law who has had both hips done (but in her late 50s) another friend same age as me (72) who has also had both done about 7 years ago, and at least 5 or more friends who have had theirs done also! So it has been hard to ignore!
Ah - but none of these people are you. Each and every recovery is different - even on the same person. What worked for them does not mean it will work for you.

Physios will tell you to exercise. It's their job. But the relatives and friends who have had THR or know someone who did do not share your particular situation. Things like how much your surgeon had to work during the procedure due to damage to the joint and surrounding area, how long and how badly you limped around pre-op.

I'm really glad you found something that eases this discomfort. Now you can focus on slowly building up your mobility. Well done!

And most folks that have had the surgery or knows someone, etc, seem to develop selective memory once their recovery is over. Or there are those super humans that supposedly heal in a week and are out running marathons!:rotfl: :running:

Everyone says you must do them.
I don't think you'll get many here saying that. I thought the same with my first and after doing them and hurting I did more research. First thing was studying exactly what they do to us to dislocate the joint and perform the replacement. If you've ever dislocated any joint in your body you wouldn't try to exercise it right after dislocation. Now imagine that joint not just dislocating but rotating and in a way exiting your body. I figured out those muscles don't want to be exercised or stretched for a while.
We won't tell "everyone" if you skip your PT for a day or 2 and see how your body feels. I'm sure you can catch up on it later. I learned after my first and took it real easy with my second and both have the same results but the second one took the easier path.

Yes, @Eman85, I have decided to give them a miss for a few days! Actually my leg muscles are pretty strong already anyway so maybe the exercises are more for those with weaker muscles. I think they are just going into spasm all the time so my true instinct agrees - lay off, but keep walking! :walking:

Sounds like a good plan, just don't let "everyone" know. I found that the walking was best and form was more important than distance or speed. The exercises seem to be a one size fitsall that doesn't. Just between my 2 hips there was a big difference in what I could do early on. For me to be OK'd for discharge they had a group PT class for everyone that had hip and knee replacement the day before. I was a star with my first hip but some were in agonizing pain attempting to satisfy the PT instructor, some to the point of tears. Yet the instructor kept pretty much bullying them. With my second I was one of the ones that couldn't do the basic exercises. The PT instructor started to push me but since I'd been there and done that once and the fact I wasn't going to do them he backed off. Of course in many ways we all have the no pain no gain thinking of recovery but it doesn't work out well with traumatized muscles.

I am doing ankle pumps and rotations, heel slides, buttock contractions, abduction exercise ( sliding leg to side) quadriceps set (thigh tighteners), and straight leg raises with cushion under thigh/knee.10 times each plus holding for 3-5. Plus the 3 standing - knee raises , standing hip abduction, and standing hip extension. They say these are the basic ones to be done 2-4 times a day. Yesterday I did them twice, last time quite late and didn't sleep very well, think I should have done them earlier! Everyone says you must do them.
While lots of people outside this forum say you "must," and lots of people here say to back off, I can tell you my PT says that many of the exercises are to prevent people from being inactive, thus preventing blood clots. You don't have to do all if these all the time, or ever if they hurt.

Just make sure you are gently active during the day so that you keep the blood moving. You can slowly move into some exercises as you feel your body can handle it. Apply those awesome:) :-) (: viniyoga principles to your healing!

Well it was 4 weeks yesterday since my right THR. As I reported a week ago I went back onto Tramacet (tramadol with paracetamol) a week ago which has been such a relief to feel almost normal again. I can walk around the house easily without crutches and without limping. I started going out walking with one crutch but the nerve pain in the groin seemed worse - my legs are now uneven lengths and I thought maybe I was unconsciously putting more weight on the operated leg as the left is now playing up (it has to be done soon so I will be joining the Double hippy club!) So yesterday I took both crutches though I was walking pretty normally at a normal speed and not really 'using' them at all! It felt like they just reminded me to walk evenly. I don't know if I should try leaving them behind? I am feeling a bit guilty about still taking the Tramacet, 2 in the morning and 2 at night with paracetamol once in the afternoon. Most people seem to have left these type of drugs far behind by now. Actually I think the groin/nerve pain is getting a bit better - I have been sleeping with a firmer pillow between my legs and somehow I think that may have helped. I do the simple stretching exercises when I feel my legs need them. I have also done pelvic tilts and gentle hip raises (bridge-style) which feel good. I feel as if I could probably do more but think perhaps I should wait for my checkup with my surgeon but it's not till November 22nd, 7 and a half weeks instead of 6! I am walking a mile or so in all a day but wonder if I should be doing more? I seem to suddenly get very tired and even have an afternoon nap and early nights!!

I don't know if I should try leaving them behind?
When you start forgetting to take them with you it's a sign you can start weaning off them. Until that time use your crutches to avoid any limping.
I am feeling a bit guilty about still taking the Tramacet
The medication is helping you to get mobile again. Same as above, when you start forgetting doses it's a sign you are ready to cut down.
gentle hip raises (bridge-style)
New hips hate bridges. I suggest you avoid this exercise until you are ready to start strengthening.
I am walking a mile or so in all a day but wonder if I should be doing more?
At only 4 weeks a mile is pretty aggressive. No need to push!
I seem to suddenly get very tired and even have an afternoon nap and early nights!!
Energy drain - don't fight it. This will ease with time.

Thanks for the reassurance @Jaycey. Its wet and windy and miserable today so haven't done my usual walking but am not going to worry about it, it feels right to be taking it easy today!

I think the people who say they were up and running in 2 days are b-essing. Some just feel the need to appear superhuman. I was like that for a while and realized I had to surrender and let the process be the process. We all recover differently and on diff time schedules. While it’s helpful to share stories, tips, questions here, I think it’s important to not benchmark our recoveries with someone else’s.
My recovery from this has gone well so far (6 weeks). But my TKR???? Omg - long, difficult and painful. I kept comparing to my husbands bilateral TKR. He was walking with a cane at 3.5 weeks! Just goes to show what a range of recoveries there is.

I found a firm kingsize pillow to work well when trying to sleep - esp if I roll onto my “good” side. I’m very tall w long legs so it reaches easily from knee to foot.

And…..the meds are the meds. As long as you take them “responsibly” they’re there to help your body calm down and heal. No guilt there. But I do know what you mean. I’m on just Tylenol and Naproxen now……but, if I have a tough day (or night) I’ll take a 5 mg oxycodone. Personally I hate the opioids - very effective at managing the pain but oh, the side effects (constipation) are a challenge!

Don't feel guilty about taking pain meds at 4 weeks, common for many no 2 of us are alike as far as post op pain goes.
Pelvic tilts and bridges did nothing for me except cause pain when I attempted them in early recovery days. At 4 weeks energy drain is also normal and it takes time to build your body back from the trauma of the surgery. I'm sure you pay attention to diet and that made a big difference for me as far as recovery.

Hi YogaLesley
I had my op in Wales too.
Being my second THR I could see the difference Covid has made never mind the long wait as I only just got on the list before the first lock down.
In 2013 a bay had 6 beds and there was pressure but it was all like a well oiled machine.This time 4 beds but staff very stretched.
I too found night staff less friendly initially and having urinary retention which I've had after 4 ops now I was not catheterised until all med's had been done at 10 pm despite a bladder scan at 5pm showing 1000mls!
I felt really really desperate and fit to burst when it was finally done.

I feel incredibly grateful and lucky. It's becoming a bit of a lottery now many paying privately just to be out of pain.
I'm interested the icing issue has come up. I've seen it used for TKRs in hospital but no one mentions it for hips. I remember thankfully having heated blankets put on me straight after the op and for quite sometime. I've never fancied putting ice on TBH tho with a knee maybe it's good. I put pillows under the mattress at home to elevate my side of the bed as I couldn't lift my leg over a pillow and I even chose a more silky cotton sheet on the
bed making it easier to slide my heavy leg. I struggled to get in and out of bed in the hospital despite very fit male physiotherapist with great upper arm strength showing me how easy it is!
When home though I found I could use a wall near our bed to help push against with my good leg.
All my worrying about our stairs was for nothing too, it was no trouble.
It was a great relief getting the rest of the clips out. I had stitches last time.
Hope you are feeling better.
Remember rest is best, and the rest will best follow!

Hi @YogaLesley

I think you are doing fine with everything! (Although I agree that a mile a day seems like a lot, it depends on how YOU feel.)

I was still on Tramadol at 6 or 7 weeks. There was just too much pain without it. I also used a cane for quite a while as a reminder to walk correctly. Your gait is important. I, too, found that pelvic tilts and tiny little hip raises felt good. Just listen to your body. If you overdo it, it will set you back and it will be soooooo frustrating. Speaking from experience here. :umm:

As for the exhaustion, it is REAL. Your body is working hard to heal. It is using every bit of available energy behind the scenes, hence the exhaustion. It takes a long time to feel "normal."

Thanks for posting!

Thanks all,. I am glad to hear @Schaargi that you too were on the Tramadol till week 6 or7 as that has been worrying me. I tried going without it but had a dreadful night and also don't want to do anything except lie down because of the nagging pains and discomfort. I reckon it is more important to be feeling positive and cheerful and wanting to be mobile than doing without them at this stage. As many of you have said I am hoping it will come naturally to leave them out. The only danger I think is that because they mask pain perhaps I have been overdoing the walking, as it seems to be one day on, then needing one day off! I know it is better when I keep the walks short and sweet, little and often, as it were! Surprising, how we keep needing reminding! Thanks again everyone. :walking:

It's only a few days since I posted that (5 weeks tomorrow post op now) but this morning felt pretty good so just took 2 paracetamol - knowing I could still take Tramadol if I needed it helped! Did the longest local walk so far quite easily with my walking sticks (canes in the US) instead of crutches and really felt I hardly needed them and was walking at a fairly normal pace. At 5 pm realised I hadn't taken any more meds! Took another 2 paracetamol and will take my usual tonight but may halve dose tomorrow! Worry about hips has been slightly overtaken by my eyes as I have just been diagnosed with wet macula degeneration (fluid build up and blood leakage from behind eye) and have to go for urgent treatment on Thursday - injections in the eye! The fun never stops does it??!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom