TKR Booger's Left Knee

Booger

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone,
I found this site while looking for some extension help on google.
Im 4 weeks in on a tkr of my left knee.
It was rebuilt on 9-29-21.
Rom numbers today are 11 and 107 assisted. They have been changing everyday. My recovery compared to my buddies from work sure is sucking. 4 weeks in and is worse. Extension was 6 or so the 1st week assisted. Pretty bummed out but its too late for all that. Swelling is awful I'm living in the cooljet the doc gave me.
Any help with the extension would be appreciated. Nice to meet ya'll
Booger

20211027_164128.jpg

Hi Booger,your scar looks pretty good at 4 weeks but the swelling can take awhile to go down and most of that is internal which can really affect rom ,I remember at 4 weeks I was icing pretty regularly .The rom can take awhile,it’s a marathon really ,or more accurately in my case a roller coaster .I am at four and a half months and walking pretty well ,but my Achilles’ tendon caused problems as I moved more ,so the moral is take your time ,listen to what your body says and just build it up slowly .

Hi and Welcome!

4 weeks is early days in this year long recovery. Letting your PT assist your ROM could be keeping your swelling up, so we don’t recommend it. You need a lot of time and patience for this recovery. You can’t compare yourself to your buddies’ recoveries as your knee may have needed more surgical intervention than theirs did, and maybe their surgeons had gentler surgical techniques than yours did. Also, each knee recovers differently, even on the same body, as many of our bilateral members will tell you.

Here are some things we recommend:
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Heel slides and how to do them properly

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Booger,
:welome: to BoneSmart!

My recovery compared to my buddies from work sure is sucking. 4 weeks in and is worse.
Frustrating when you see people with smoother recoveries, best not to compare yourself to anyone else. We are are all different and heal at different rates, even the other knee on the same person can have a very different recovery.

We suggest these two activities for flexion extension.
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .

Your ROM is fine for two months, your ROM will continue to improve over time. Some of us increased ROM 18 to 24 months after surgery.

Recovery is not a straight line, expect ups and downs, and unexpected detours.

recovery-chart-drawn-jpg.74621

Thanks Jockette,
The same surgeon that did their knees did mine. I did it based on the pain before surgery and they had great results.
Thanks for the recovery suggestions.
Booger

You will also have a great result, you will just heal a little differently than they did. Try not to compare.

Try to hang in there, rest, ice and elevate, and watch your activity level until you heal more. Give your knee the privilege of sorting itself out and you’ll have a great result.

Just kinda worried if it'll be good enough for work. I make toilet paper and it's kinda busy sometimes. 3 flights of stairs and lots of walking. But if I cant go back in 8 more weeks then it'll just have to be more. I got 24 weeks before i have to worry.
Just kinda ramblin i guess. This is what boredom does.
Booger

Just kinda worried if it'll be good enough for work. I make toilet paper and it's kinda busy sometimes. 3 flights of stairs and lots of walking. But if I cant go back in 8 more weeks then it'll just have to be more. I got 24 weeks before i have to worry.
Just kinda ramblin i guess. This is what boredom does.
Booger
Sorry Booger for the Comment, But if you read all the posts, it is US Males doing all the whining, lol. Me also. 5 months tomorrow, and still whining.

Hi, Booger.....you're doing just fine. One thing to consider....if your therapist is forcing your knee, that could be causing some of your swelling. I know you want to regain your range of motion as soon as possible, but the real goal right now is to reduce any swelling. It's better just to do any exercises or measurements with your knee bending or extending with only your own power. That way you don't risk making it angry about being pushed. The knee compartment is so compact, you can have swelling there that you don't see that will impact your ROM. This whole recovery is a real exercise in patience. That's a new thing for many of us.....:heehee:, You'll get there.

Thanks Jamie.
Yeah I'm thinking about not going to my p.t. today. Took it easy yesterday and used the immobilizer last night for night 2. Extension just looking and walking seems better but i can tell flex is real tight. Slept off and on 6 or 7 hrs.
Icing right now but swelling may even be a tiny bit better

Booger

Welcome, Booger!
Sounds like you are doing really well for the time frame post op! Try not to compare your progress with anyone else’s. Every knee is different.
I certainly agree with Jamie about not letting anyone push your knee just to obtain a certain number! The flexion will come as will the extension. It just takes time. Ice, elevate, walk around your house. REST!

We are are all different and heal at different rates, even the other knee on the same person can have a very different recovery.
For sure. My RTKR is about 5 weeks ahead of my LTKR recovery timeline. I know more this time around but really think this is just the difference mentioned. You'll see that there are more people worrying about the same things as you at 4 weeks than not.

But if I cant go back in 8 more weeks then it'll just have to be more. I got 24 weeks before i have to worry.
Before I returned to my work from home desk job 5 weeks after surgery, I practiced being able to sit for longer periods of time and (don't laugh) stay awake for a few hours without napping. Believe it or not, I had a really tough time with those easy goals the 1st week. I'm glad I started off 1/2 days then progressed to full days. Can you practice at home before you commit to return to work (stairs, carrying bulky items, carrying heavy stuff, etc.)? Once you declare your return date, will you have to suffer through or can you take 2-3 more weeks to get back in work ready shape f you find you need it? Can you go back part time until you gauge that you're fully ready?

Thanks Hawk for the insight. I have 24 weeks short term disability but dont want to do that if I don't have to. I would rather work as I think that will help. But I really just want my knee as good as can be. My buddies at work would understand if it takes longer. But I am part of the team and dont want to put them on o.t. anymore than needed. My management team are supportive also. They have been checking on me a couple of times a week. Generally a great place to work. And they are sincere.
Booger

Thats a great photo. I just googled how to make toilet paper and saw a really interesting video about the process. What a fabulous invention those machines are. Something we never think about.

Oh, those steps look awful! Take your time going back. Your knee probably won't like them one bit.
Yeah Sis and this is actually the easier end of the machine.

20190808_185952.jpg

Here is the dry end its alot busier with more steps and barrel ladders. Then there's the other part of the wetend. Just a lil look into why I'm worried. But between here the great folks at work and p.t. Im sure it'll be ok.

Booger

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back