THR Sitting/lying ….

Hipittyhop

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Good morning, I am 5 days post-op and my biggest issue is finding a comfortable sitting and lying position. I’ve used cushions and pillows to pad the area but nothing works‍♀️
Suggestions welcome

Hello @Hipittyhop . Sorry to hear you're not very comfortable. Do you have a recliner? I've heard lots of us 'hippies' sleep in them for the first few weeks. I didn't but I have a memory foam on pocket spring mattress and found that quite comfortable enough.

Hello @Hipittyhop and :welome: to BoneSmart!

I found that a good recliner worked the best for me, in fact it was rented from a health supply store and worth every penny.
We have some great recovery tips for you to read through and I think that will be helpful for you.
One of the first lines will give you some recliner tips, especially if you have a recliner already in your home.

HIP Recovery

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
Some of our members used their recliner for the first few weeks, I even slept in mine! Loved it but then one day I was ready for my bed again (and normal chairs.)

Also, can you please give your exact date of surgery and which hip was replaced?
One of our amazing moderators will make you a signature that will show the surgery info below anything you post. You will also be added to the September Sapphires recovery group.
@Hipittyhop

The date of surgery was 15th September and it is my left hip.
Thank you X

Thank you to those who replied re: sitting/lying/sleeping issues. I am now 17 days post op and have been enjoying pain-free sleeping and sitting for some days now! I can complete all tasks, showering, dressing etc.
During the first week post-op I couldn’t see how I would progress - now I cannot believe what I am able to do! I’m not rushing anything, it’s not a competition but I feel so much better!
I just wanted to pop on here and offer encouragement to all of you who have had thr recently - there is a light at the end of the tunnel xx

Great update @Hipittyhop ! Glad you are making progress through this recovery. You are so right - there is no rush. The slow and steady approach works every time!

Hi again, I am now three and a half weeks post-op. I’m trying to walk 1 mile plus a day, down to using one crutch. My question is - is it normal to feel exhausted at the end of the day! I’m worn out ….

@Hipittyhop Yes it is normal to feel tired so soon after having a hip replacement. And while walking is good exercise for you and the new hip, perhaps doing a mile+ each day is doing too much. You still have a lot of healing to do - not just the incision but also all the tissue within your leg as well.

Hi again, I am now three and a half weeks post-op. I’m trying to walk 1 mile plus a day, down to using one crutch. My question is - is it normal to feel exhausted at the end of the day! I’m worn out ….

It certainly is.

This can last for many months, but your natural energy levels will return. I found that you couldn't push things too much and too quickly.

Its like having flu, you need to rest and take it easy rather than pushing against it so too speak.

That good old Energy Drain:sad::thud:
As the others mentioned, you body has commandeered your finite amount of energy you produce to work on healing surgery trauma.

Took me some time to get my stamina back.

In order to recover, the body triggers a fatigue response so that we are encouraged to rest.
This is a normal stress-recovery cycle. Undergoing surgery where the body is given medications, loses blood, and is traumatized by procedures can cause fatigue as the body enters into the repairing and healing mode.

A few folks have dealt with post-op anemia and iron rich foods are the best cure for that.
Red meat, fish, leafy green veggies are among the best iron-rich food and vitamin C is crucial for absorbing iron... so have a cup of citrus juice with your meal.
Mostly just give your body what it needs....rest, good food, and patience.
I gets better.:ok:

@hippittyhop
Today is exactly 4 weeks postop for me so we’re pretty close as far as timing. I’m not using the cane anymore unless out in “public” - kind of like a warning sign to others.

I learned to break my walks into smaller pieces and go out a little more frequently. So my day is pretty much walk, rest, walk, rest, walk, rest. All rests with ice. Sometimes a nap slips in there. I think it’s pretty normal to be exhausted at first. I still am, but very very slowly feel some stamina returning.

Some days my hip and leg feel great, others the whole thing hurts from hip to ankle. Like today. So I’ll reduce the distance but try to move as I do get some relief once the blood starts moving around.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your replies
Very helpful! I’m mostly crutch free indoors - my physio gave me good advice. If you are walking something like a catwalk model without support, then fine! But, if you are walking an ‘ugly walk’ then pick up the crutch again
I feel much better reading your tips on my tiredness - I like the idea of shorter walks then rest then repeat …. My new exercise regime is pretty demanding too and a busy weekend celebrating my 70th was quite exhausting but it was soooo……nice to see my family.
Thank you again ☺️

A belated Happy 70th Birthday to you! Great to hear you enjoyed time with those you love. I hope this year brings you, peace, happiness, love and good health!

My question is - is it normal to feel exhausted at the end of the day! I’m worn out ….
Sure is! Energy drain is real. The body uses energy for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
my physio gave me good advice. If you are walking something like a catwalk model without support, then fine! But, if you are walking an ‘ugly walk’ then pick up the crutch again
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

A great week to you!

Here is a visual on Heel-Toe Walking
1633975544223.jpeg

Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you’re all rested up after your birthday celebration last weekend. Hopefully this weekend is a peaceful pain free one for you! :)
@Hipittyhop

Awww… thank you Layla! I was exhausted after the birthday celebrations but I loved every single minute ❤️
I don’t know where the last four weeks have gone, but I’m pretty happy with my progress . This group has helped enormously, sending thanks to all and I hope everyone is enjoying a successful recovery xxx

Hello fellow hippies ☺️ Hope all is going well for you.
I have a question ……
I am nearly 6 weeks post op, doing lots of stuff around the house, not using any support indoors. I walk about 1.5 miles a day. I can take of myself, have ditched the ‘special’ stool, the raised toilet seat but still use a very upright chair to sit in. I also still take an hour each day to elevate and ice!
So, I have a kind of semi-numb feeling in the latter three toes of my foot on the operated leg. The area feels sore to touch and, although not swollen, I struggle to get my shoe on! Could this be nerve damage that isn’t yet healed? At the same time, I have some thigh-ache on the same leg where the incision is. Could it be linked?
Has anyone else experienced this? I am seeing my Consultant at The beginning of November but just wondered if this is ‘normal’
Thanks if you stayed with this through to the end‍♀️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks