TKR Newbie

Yes, don't worry about the numbers. I was only at 72 at 2 weeks. At 5 weeks I was 103. It will happen, it just takes time.

Try not to be too anxious about sleep! For many, including myself, it took months before normal sleep returned. Keep going for naps when you can. I slept in my recliner for months, unable to get comfortable in my bed. It will come.
What are your thoughts about CBD Oil? Over 4 months out and no sleep in bed. I tried everything the Dr. would provide. My Dr. suggested CBD oil, he used to be hesitant as I was but he has had great results. I took me many more sleepless nights before I tried it. Just short of 1 month use sleep came slowly but have had 2 full nights sleep and no bathroom breaks. Don't know if it is helping pain as that comes & goes. Good days bad days. CBD Oil does not have the THC which gives a high. As I said before I cancelled second knee as not very happy with first knee surgery. Hospital called the other day for Oct. 21st. surgery and I cancelled again. Surgery knee is more painful than left knee. Thanks, Don

@Sparky791 assuming CBD oil is legal where you live, please check with your family doctor or surgeon before adding any medication or substance to what you are already taking. You don't want any nasty side effects.

@Sparky791 assuming CBD oil is legal where you live, please check with your family doctor or surgeon before adding any medication or substance to what you are already taking. You don't want any nasty side effects.
In Canada and a lot of USA States Marijuana is Legal. CBD oil does not have the THC in it. I have never done any illegal drugs. My Dr. Gave me prescription for Celbrex for the pain in knee. Then he said he was always hesitant about CBD oil but there has been so much success with it and us old people. He said, it works for Pain, Swelling, Healing & Sleep. It took me one month where Celbrex wasn't working to try it. As for pain, I have good days & terrible days. But Sleep came slowly and the last 2 nights I spent in Bed and not even a bathroom break.

In Canada and a lot of USA States Marijuana is Legal. CBD oil does not have the THC in it.
CBD oil without THC is legal in all 50 states here, so I suspect you'll find it everywhere in Canada, too - which is good and bad. I talked with a oncology nurse who is a medical marijuana advocate after a seminar on the subject and she indicated the most important thing to do with any purchase of CBD is to obtain and review the testing results. If manufactured well, the effects are remarkable because humans have an endocannabinoid system that up regulates brain and body health. Although THC does get you high in specific doses, there are strains of medical marijuana that are bred for the benefits of CBD. Before surgery, I used a 1:1 blend that allowed me to sleep soundly without getting high nor experience grogginess when I woke. I've also successfully used a 2:1 THC to CBD strain that helped with pain and did not get me high (not using it while on prescribed meds because of the risk of over sedation). The stuff that gets you high has a lot more THC than CBD, like 10:1 or 20:1. I understand the THC helps your body use the CBD more effectively, but you'll only get that superior quality and testing regimen from the legal dispensaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soreness and swelling constant right above knee. . Mostly from an aggressive pt session two days prior. But swelling and soreness still pretty constant regardless. Os told me to tell therapist not to be so aggressive.
Your OS has it right. For the vast majority, aggressive PT causes increased pain and swelling. That means it is a set back. All you need are gentle movements and your daily activities.
Really having trouble sleeping. Just cannot get comfortable. Usually after midnight and then up every 2 hrs minimum until 7 when up for good.
Sleep when and where you can, it doesn't matter as long as you do sleep. I'd sleep a few hours in my bed then switch to my recliner, then back to bed, then the recliner, etc. In my first few months I took lots of naps. I'd do a task, then take a nap. This helped me get things done while still keeping my knee happy.

@Sparky791 ... please listen to your surgeon's advice to insist that your therapist stop the aggressive "working" of your knee. Overdoing exercises like this can most certainly set your leg up for pain and discomfort in the 24-48 hours after your session, which makes restful sleep more difficult. Your pain levels should not be at the 5-6 level on a "good" day. That's another sign you're doing too much.

When you do any of the exercises be sure you're only bending to the point of mild discomfort. You should not experience significant pain. You have plenty of time to gain your flexion. Swelling is holding you back right now, but it will eventually lessen IF you don't continue to push yourself.

Are you using ice to help control your pain? Please read this article and be sure you are icing your leg as much as possible following these guidelines:

Ice to control pain and swelling

Third week post op report:
Feel much better. Pain decreasing and manageable. Still stiffness and swelling but better. I am able to walk around without an aid. I do however use a cain when I get tired as a precaution.
Biggest change I made from first two weeks was having my pt cut down from three days a week to two. Also told my therapist to cut back in aggressiveness. I went from 84 to 105 in about four days on flexion and now have full extension easily. I attribute it to listening to my body. If I am hurting from pt or in home exercised I simply rest and spend more time icing and elevating.
I am recently retired successful xc and track coach who spent many a time telling my runners to listen to their bodies when training and communicating that with me. I just decided to do the same thing with myself. If it hurts back off and rest. If it feels good I do full session of pt. And I communicate that with my therapist. She did not take offense to it. Very professional as she should be. We work together.
I still am not sleeping the greatest but is a little better.
So in summary based on this newbie who is only 3 weeks into recovery my best advice is listen to your body and be an equal partner in your therapy. Feel a lot more positive now about what lies ahead. Thanks for advice and will give my 4 week update after os appointment next week. Good luck to those in recovery. Patience is a virtue for a reason. Hang in there.

So in summary based on this newbie who is only 3 weeks into recovery my best advice is listen to your body and be an equal partner in your therapy. Patience is a virtue for a reason. Hang in there.
That is the basis of BoneSmart's philosophy, Listen to your body, it knows what it needs better than any medical person. Sounds like you are on the right track (no pun intended) @Sparky791.

4 week check up today. Os says everything great. Knee tracking the way it is supposed to, full extension and 117 degree flexion. Pain is better this week and sleep a little better although not ideal.
Very happy with pt as using the bone smart philosophy with full cooperation from therapist. We push it only in moderation and when I feel good we do more, when I feel bad we do less.
Definitely a break through week this week. Everything better. Not going to lie the first two weeks were a living hell. But seeing light at end of tunnel.
Again I preach patience to everyone out there. Go at your own pace and stick with it. Good things ahead for those who wait. Good luck.

full extension and 117 degree flexion

Wow, @Sparky791, that's amazing ROM for only four weeks. I'm at five weeks, and still don't have full extension. I managed to get to 115 flexion yesterday by forcing it (and am now paying the price). You're doing really well!

Little update. Having constipation issues. Even to the point where I have a little bloody mucus in my stool when it feels like I have to go. Any thoughts on this? Am I pushing too hard? Too long on hydrocodone(4 weeks)? I have been eating prunes and activa yogurt galore. Should I try miralax? I did something stupid and stopped taken pain killers at noon yesterday. Needless to say a bad night and pretty sore and painful this morning. I am also switching to tramadol. Hopefully that will manage pain and lessen constipation. I am not too worried about bloody mucus. I had a colonoscopy last summer and really think it is related to my constipation and hydrocodone. Any ideas? Thanks!

I found that drinking Smooth Move tea at least once a day really helped keep me regular while on oxy. You can find it in your grocery store. I didn't have to eat prunes or take miralax while drinking this tea. Give it a try!

Having constipation issues.
I added Colace and senna capsules when I was taking oxycodone around the clock. When I was taking 1 oxy at night, I'd pair it with 1 Colace. A few days after I stopped taking oxy, my regularity returned and I dropped both.

Two month check up. OS says everything great! Flexion at 127 degrees with full extension. Good to go on all activities. I still have a little swelling and tenderness around knee cap but he says that is normal. I take aleve or meloxicam if needed for the inflammation.

Continuing with pt until I can get quad a little stronger. Good to golf and pickle ball this December when we head to Florida for winter.

Only complaint is sleep. Still hurts a little at night when I stay in one position too long. But minor. Just would like to sleep through night.

Wound healing great. Just a tip for scars. Unfortunately I have had more than a few surgeries. I have used an aloe plant to heal scars. Just cut a section off and spread in closed wound. Wrap tip back up in plastic wrap. Can use a few times before cutting another section. Works great.
E636A80B-73CE-48D0-915B-04149E85E54B.jpeg

That's good news @Sparky791! Did you doctor measure your ROM?
Yes. Said everything was great. In fact doesnt want me to work in flexion part at all. Said it was fine. Checked for stability in all directions and said good to go on activities. Just back off when I feel too much.
He cautioned me on two things. One, do not ever go down on my new knee and rest it on the ground with all my weight. Like kneeling. Said to set out a cushion between knee and floor or ground.
Secondly, before going to dentist for anything, especially cleaning, see him for antibiotic first.
Other than that I am good to go until next September for one year check up.

Two month check up. OS says everything great! Flexion at 127 degrees with full extension. Good to go on all activities. I still have a little swelling and tenderness around knee cap but he says that is normal. I take aleve or meloxicam if needed for the inflammation.

Continuing with pt until I can get quad a little stronger. Good to golf and pickle ball this December when we head to Florida for winter.

Only complaint is sleep. Still hurts a little at night when I stay in one position too long. But minor. Just would like to sleep through night.

Wound healing great. Just a tip for scars. Unfortunately I have had more than a few surgeries. I have used an aloe plant to heal scars. Just cut a section off and spread in closed wound. Wrap tip back up in plastic wrap. Can use a few times before cutting another section. Works great.
E636A80B-73CE-48D0-915B-04149E85E54B.jpeg

Attachments

• Scar looks good 4 months out.jpg
    Scar looks good 4 months out.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 88

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88