Undecided

Cococay

Country
United States United States
Hi - I was a frequent post-er in December and January (TKR -left 1/19/21). I haven’t been able to walk without a cane—since my knee surgery——PT told me it was a “weak gluteus medius” so I thought the harder I try to work it the better I will recover. Only I’m walking worse then before- can’t walk at all without a cane-and a lot of pain. So…. All these months later I decided to make an appt.- few weeks ago after researching an ortho surgeon —-and I found one and made appt. After an X-ray & exam he said he has no doubts that my right hip is so bad that part of it kind of wore through and somehow dislocated

- I’m not explaining it right.
I asked if there is anything besides surgery ( PT injection etc )I can do to help it and if it’s at all possible it is just a muscle thing. He told me that there is nothing short of a hip replacement that will help and he was sure. I asked if this could of worsened due to waiting so long for my knee surgery and he said no- and that based on an X-ray I had on file where you can see the hip area - it happened fast and looks more like an impact injury like a car accident or injury. Both the knee surgeon and this one felt that the progression of degeneration seemed more then what would be expected. I’d like to know why but they are focused more on replacing it. He said he wants me to walk with a walker due to how bad it is - but I can’t do that. I love my job. I’m afraid if they know I need surgery they will find a reason to let me go- rather then allow me time off. He also said he no longer operates- so I asked him to recommend someone. He has and they have told me to make an appointment with a pre surgery optimization clinic and with the surgeon and get it scheduled since it’s the only option.
The thing is— I’ve felt so defeated. I thought having my knee done would give me my life back so I have a hard time believing this surgery will do that- and I’m truly scared I will never get my life back.
I know it was my knee that I was being treated for but how did the surgeon and PT not realize a huge part of the issue was my hip?
either way - here I am 9 months post TKR and it’s disheartening and I just feel so all over the place with it.
Tonight I thought— I know where I can get advice-this site was so helpful in the lead up to knee surgery.
im attaching my X-ray report- I know just a report isn’t the surgeons notes but— despite the fact that I can’t understand it in terms of helping me move forward - maybe someone else will have a similar story.

lastly- if anyone read this whole thing I’m sorry for how long this is.

Attachments

• 96557C52-B913-409B-BC5D-7D1E407DAD6F.png
    96557C52-B913-409B-BC5D-7D1E407DAD6F.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 111
I’m sorry- somehow this posted twice. I tried to edit it and somehow it copied it. Could one of the moderators delete the first post? Sorry

Hi there! I was actually just thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing. I’m sorry to read this update. :console2:

I don’t know much about hip replacements, but I do know that sometimes they can deteriorate very quickly. I’m sure others with more hip experience will be along.

If it was me, I would get yet another opinion, just to be sure they all recommend the same thing. Maybe another opinion will either be able, or just take the time, to answer your questions better than the ones you’ve already seen.

And, I deleted that other, accidental post. That happens sometimes.

@Cococay Welcome to the hip side of BoneSmart! Based on what you told us in your post and the report you published I am afraid your only option is THR. And I suggest the sooner, the better.

My experience with my left hip was similar. Mine was partially dislocated and very worn. That pain is really horrid. Due to waiting so long to get a diagnosis, my recovery was pretty long. It's hard to change bad habits that form when you are trying to stay off a sore hip.

Since I don't have any experience with TKR I can't confirm this - but my colleagues tell me recovery from THR is much easier than from TKR.

I would talk to your employer and be honest about your concerns. Stress that you just want to get the surgery done so that you can focus on doing a good job again.

Please keep us updated!

That attachment of the diagnosis of your hip sounds pretty bad. I would want another opinion if possible if you have any doubts.
As far as employment goes that's a tough subject. Since you had your knee surgery in Jan. you used part of your FMLA time and it is cumulative per year. Your HR department will have to answer those questions and go from there. Know the realistic timeline of recovery before you inquire.

Hello @Cococay
It’s nice to hear from you again, but I’m sorry it’s because you’re struggling and in need of an additional joint replacement. I guess this diagnosis explains your ongoing pain and use of an assistive device nine months post op. It sounds like THR is your only option to resolve your issues and move forward without pain. While it is disheartening and understandable you feel defeated, try to focus on looking toward a brighter future, once surgery is behind you.

I love my job. I’m afraid if they know I need surgery they will find a reason to let me go- rather then allow me time off.
This is unfortunate and hopefully won’t be the case, but do you really want to work for an employer that won’t allow time off for a necessary major surgery and recovery, that will allow you to be more productive and live your best life, in good health…pain free?

Please let us know once you have your surgery scheduled, we’re here for you.
Wishing you lots of comfort as you sort through all. :console2:

Cococay,
Sorry to hear your hip is in such bad shape so quickly. It is possible your knee pain prior to your TKR was partially referred pain from your hip. Now that your knee is replaced your hip can be heard loud and clear that something is wrong.
Sounds like an appointment with the new surgeon will give you a chance to ask more questions about the condition of your hip and why you need a THR. Hopefully you will feel more confident in making the right decision for you.

Welcome back @Cococay,though I'm sorry to hear the reason. My hip started presenting issues during my TKR recovery and I ended up having THR 10 months after TKR. While I understand not wanting more surgery (and recovery!) I can offer two rays of hope. Firstly I found recovery from THR MUCH easier than TKR, and secondly my knee improved dramatically after THR. After both joints were replaced my progress was very gratifying.

Hi, @Cococay .... so sorry to hear you now have hip issues. But I have to agree with what others have posted. This is not something you want to try and put off. Hips have a way of getting worse with no warning and it can be quite painful. You don't want that.

I like the approach to your employer that Jaycey offered. Your boss has invested time and training in you and you are a valued asset. Trying to replace you just because you need this surgery is a costly thing for a business when they have to hire someone new and train them. Jaycey's words would reassure them that you want to be able to continue working for them. Maybe you could work out some way to work at home for a while after your surgery.

I know FCBayern told you he had the same problem. My next door neighbor did too. She no sooner got her knee replaced than her opposite hip started acting up and eventually had to be replaced. Perhaps it would help reassure you if you had x-rays of your other hip and knee just to let you know they have no problems and should be okay. Just because these two joints have needed to be replaced doesn't mean that both hips and knees have problems you'll have to deal with soon.

As for not using the walker.....your surgeon is right. You need to be babying that hip until it's replaced. Trying to walk on it when it has already partially collapsed is very risky and you risk a complete dislocation and damage to the joint that will make your surgery more complex.

We're here for you as you work through this latest challenge. Sending a big BoneSmart (((((HUG)))))

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back