TKR Back again in 2021 ☺

Have had to ring GP surgery as I seem to have a mouth infection or something. Tongue, inner cheek, gum and throat red, sore and burning. Could be oral Thrush (according to Google!!) or an infection. Panic is instant at the word infection. Awaiting GP callback....

Oh my goodness. I pray you can see your doctor quickly. Please let us know what you find out.

@sistersinhim and @jaspa - GP called back very quickly and we have decided it is oral thrush (brought on by the iv antibiotics after op). Have had oral Canesten (fluconizole) tablet and have just collected Nystatin drops for mouth from chemist. Self-medicated and took Canesten tablet this morning before I heard from GP (I had one in medicine cabinet) and just had first set of drops. There is some improvement already, less soreness and burning, but time will tell. Cautious optimism here . Please keep your fingers crossed that diagnosis is correct x

the pups are adorbz!

I'm glad that you're already feeling better. Getting a quick jump on it has certainly helped.

Glad you are sleeping better, I'm able to manage a couple of positions different than just on my back now too. Sorry about the thrush! :sad:

Your doggies are cute!! :puppysmooze:

Thanks all. Slow but steady improvement with the oral thrush, now just need to heal the gum ulcer! Had a lovely hydro appointment yesterday, but overdid itcwithout realising. Last night i got a searing pain whenever i tried to raise my leg - i got carried away doing cycling action in the pool - and think I must have hurt the tendon/muscle where it joins kneecap from thigh (my knowledge of human anatomy is sadly lacking, so do correct me if there is no such thing). It was really painful! Taking it very easy today, trying to avoid any leg lift action.

The downside of doing any exercise in water is that it is very easy to over do. You are weightless and movement seems easy. Ice that sore area. It needs a bit of TLC for a few days.

Today has been much better. I even managed to take the dogs out for about 15 minutes and do some washing, but no formal exercise. I will be 4 weeks out on Saturday so can i ask whether you all started reducing your medication at about that time? I take 4x1000mg paracetamol (tylenol) and x1 Nefpam at night. Thinking about either halving a couple of the paracetamol doses or missing them out altogether? Seem to have only taken 3x1000mg paracetamol today, so will see how the night goes.....

I have starting reducing my meds. I eliminated the flexiril and gabapentin. I take 3x1000mg Tylenol and 2x-7.5mg meloxicam as prescribed but have reduced oxy to 1-5mg in the middle of the night. I plan to reduce the tylenol next week but surgeon wants me to keep up the meloxicam, for inflammation, until I run out.

Every knee is different, so every medication schedule will be tailored to your particular knee. If you can taper off without increased pain, give it a go.
Glad your mouth is feeling better.
Easy to overdo, especially when you’re feeling a bit better. As Jaycey suggested, give the knee a few days rest with ice and elevation.
Cheers!

Yes, I tapered off the oxy at around 4 weeks post-op. Everyone is different. Tired of taking Tylenol and Advil around the clock so thinking about buying some of those Tylenol/Advil combo pills so I only have to take them every 6 hours. I've been forgetting doses during the day anyway and only taking Advil during the night if I wake up.

No, I didn't either, but have just looked it up and it is available at Boots the chemist in the UK under the trade name NUROMOL (200mg ibuprofen + 500mg paracetamol). Thanks @Susie-Q .

News to me! I wonder if they have this in the States...

@Sisterpat
I recently saw an advertisement for Advil Dual Action, which is a new product available in the US combining ibuprofen and acetaminophen and remember thinking they have finally come up with a better pain reliever for those of us that need both. No more keeping track when I took the last ibuprofen or acetaminophen since they were on different schedules.

@Sisterpat It was the PA at my regular doc's office last Friday who gave me a sample of the pills. Not sure where I put them :what: but I'm going to get some today. Tired of taking so many pills and remembering when to take them. I've been forgetting, which is probably good. It means I haven't been having enough pain to need them. Supposedly they work better when taken together for pain.

I live in WA state.

I am thinking of going down to 3x1000mg a day plus x1 Nefpam at night. I will have some pain in the late evening but should be able to manage with ice then, I hope. Very pleased as I can now go upstairs and downstairs normally, albeit a bit more slowly than usual. Can now do about one-third of my usual dog walk. This knee definitely swells much more than my first tkr, but the intermittent shin pain is not as bad. Scar looking quite good.

Attachments

• 1633771567155-32704982.jpg
    1633771567155-32704982.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 122

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties