THR RTHR coming up on 9/27/21 ~ SuperPath approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenway09

Country
United States United States
Just feeling a little wiggy this weekend about upcoming surgery on Monday. Since I had my left THR in 2015, they have now recommended a spinal with profofol in lieu of GA. I am not sure which is bothering me more, the thought of a needle in my spine or the pain post surgery. Going to read some threads here and see how other folks have done. Beautiful day here in New England.

I had that combo and it was great. I remember sliding over from the pre-op bed to the op one, and that's it until PACU. There was some kind of induction drug in my IV so I have no recollection at all of the spinal.

Good luck!

I am not sure which is bothering me more, the thought of a needle in my spine or the pain post surgery.
I was more afraid of the spinal than the actual surgery. Turns out it is a non-event. They will position you and then spray your back with a solution that disinfects and also feels very cold. You won't even feel any needle and you will instantly go into a nice, comfy sleep.

The great part about this is you will be awake and alert just post op and no nausea or groggy feeling.

On Monday, tell everyone you meet at the hospital that you are feeling anxious. They will give you something to ease your anxiety.

Hi @fenway09 and :welome:
All the best for tomorrow and we will be looking for you on the Healing Side! :) :-) (:

I had a spinal and it was a great choice, the catheter in my hand hurt more than the needle in my spine, I then opted for full sedation as I didn't want to hear the surgeon sawing at my bones . The recovery is also quicker, took about 2 hours to get the feeling in my legs back and no nausea. Tip when you're back in your bed me sure you have a pee bottle round your bits because you can't tell if you need one, as I found out to my cost.

Yay.:egypdance:
All done.
Let us know, when you feel up to it, if you need help with starting a recovery thread.
Healing thoughts coming your way.:ok:

Tip when you're back in your bed me sure you have a pee bottle round your bits because you can't tell if you need one, as I found out to my cost.

Hmmm.... I always assumed everyone leaves surgery with an indwelling catheter already? During surgery, I'd also assume they can't risk urine in the sterile field of the surgery! I do know that surgeons
want those catheters out as soon as possible, due to the high prevalence of urinary tract infections, but wouldn't it make more sense to leave it in for at least the day/ evening of surgery?

I hope some of you will read this and let me know your experience! I was told
by 2 different surgeons that I'd have a catheter for at least the first day.

@Andyinhull .... That's unfortunate that it happened to you. I would assume that since you did not have an indwelling catheter already, the well-trained staff would anticipate this. They could have had an open urinal (pee bottle) already "in place" so that you (and your incision!)
could have stayed dry and clean.

They also could have warned you that you wouldn't be able to tell you needed to urinate. I can't imagine just getting out of surgery, and getting urine all over your new incision.

But for females, this is trickier, obviously. They can't give us a urinal, so what
do they tell / do for females if they don't have an indwelling catheter?

Ugh, just one more detail that increases my surgery fears! :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Puggles .... In the US, you almost always come into recovery with a catheter. So, please know this will be the case for your surgery. It's commonly done in the UK as well, so I cannot imagine why Andyinhull had this problem.

Please try not to be afraid of surgery by thinking of all the "what ifs." Hip replacement surgery is one of the most successful procedures that is done in today's medical world and it truly offers the opportunity to get your life back when you have a painful arthritic hip in need of replacement.

Since fenway09 has moved over to the recovery side, this pre-op thread will be closed. You can ask her about her surgery and recovery here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom