THR Anyone else had to have bone grafting done?

Coming up on week 6 tomorrow of my posterior approach and a visit to surgeon for x-rays on Wednesday to see if I can start weight bearing. Recovery continues to be a mixed bag. Sat up for too long yesterday morning and was uncomfortable for the rest of the day but it seems to have settled now.

Superficial I know, but my scar is looking like it won’t be as nice as the one on my right side. The right side had staples but the left had stitches not sure if that has anything to do with it cause I’ve been heavy on the fruit veg and water and I don’t smoke. Also been keeping it moisturized and massaging as much as I can tolerate :sad: . I ordered some ScarAway so hopefully that helps

Oh the joys of recovery....walk too much, things complain....sit too much, things complain.... :sigh: Things just seem tighten up in a matter of hours.

I can imagine the restricted weight bearing issue adds to it.

I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.

All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life

Thanks @Mojo333 for the timely reminder. I think our memory goes whenever we start to feel a bit better. So glad to hear that you were able to get back a full happy life. Patience has never been my strong suit but no time like the present to work on that!:ok:

Is your scar bikini ready, may I ask?

Happy Six Week Anniversary!
Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.

I’m sure your surgeon will reassure you that your scar should fade to thin white line with the passage of time, just as I am guessing your other one has.

I hope you have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Ebioic

:hi:
Glad things are getting better.
Is your scar bikini ready, may I ask?
Scar might be ok, but tummy not so much:heehee:
I am more of a boyshorts kinda gal.
Here is how they look....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-054953.png
    Screenshot_20210922-054953.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 155
Hi fellow hipsters I can weight bear now at week 6 :happydance:with crutches but I feel very up and down even though the OS said at follow up that my leg lengths are equal. I read somewhere that the uneven feeling can be the result of the thigh muscle spasming. I don’t feel spasms and I know most of you were able to weight bear days after surgery so may not be able to answer but wondering if anyone out there who had to wait before weight bearing has experienced this. Also if it is caused by spasms what can I do ?

@Mixii did your husband feel like he was lying on a golf ball once he started weight bearing at the 6 week mark?

Feeling a little bleh today even though I promised myself I wouldn’t compare my left hip recovery with my right hip recovery. Probably did too much on Thursday between PT and happily walking about a lot because Thursday night wasn’t fun. So I did less yesterday but last night still wasn’t fun. I’m doing the bare minimum today but still feel like I’m lying on a golf ball and the left side of my back hurts as does my left knee, boooo. But maybe my memory is bad and I’ve just forgotten that all this happened last time too.

Last edited:
All, please ignore my hypochondriac panic attacks above. Just used the forum as I should have and read a great article by @Josephine on perceived leg length differential and some other recovery threads by others who had the golf ball sensation which eventually went away

Whining, crying and panic attacks are allowed. :wink:
Just no biting, hitting or throwing things.:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon: :heehee:

Kidding aside, I think the leg length sensation will disappear as will the sitting on a golf ball sensation. I experienced the latter and it did ease and completely disappear over time.
Have a great rest of the weekend!
@Ebioic

I can't tell you how many times I ran to the forum in a panic with "Is this normal?" questions.:unsure:
Thankfully, there were folks... staff and members....who reassured me.
I'm certain it saved my OS office alot of phone calls.
I guess the surgeons don't go into detail about common plaints for recovering hippies, but often wonder why they don't include some kind of post op literature so we can relax and recover.
All Temporary....and thankfully there's BoneSmart!:ok:

@Mixii did your husband feel like he was lying on a golf ball once he started weight bearing at the 6 week mark?

I remember him as being amazingly functional, but that was seven years ago and memory is tricky. I don't remember him as being out of commission for 6 weeks, but he assures me that he was.
Everyone is different. I'm sorry you're not feeling in tip-top shape yet. But isn't it great that we can search threads and find we're perfectly normal in our uniqueness? This site has saved me a TON of anxiety.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope things have been going well from you since you last posted.
Have a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@Ebioic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker