TKR TKR Right Recovery and losing my right mind

Kildare here, I am doing much better. I was overdoing the exercises early on and that aggravated the swelling and stiffness. I am nearly 5 months post surgery for BTKR and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I look back 8 years and recall I had dreaded walking any distance because of osteoarthritis in both knees. Massaging knees from foot to thigh is certainly helping. My wonderful daughter is doing that for me. Also elevating the legs. My PR mentioned that there is a lot of research being done on heat being applied as well as icing. Thank God for bonesmart.org it has been very helpful. God Bless you all.

I was overdoing the exercises early on and that aggravated the swelling and stiffness.

Massaging knees from foot to thigh is certainly helping.

Thank you, thank you, for sharing. You don’t mention what you use for massaging. Pt started me out with some aspercream, after workouts, but I’ve been dying to get back to my cbd eucalyptus cream, I used prior to surgery.

I also feel I’m being aggressive with my exercise on my own time, without the pt. Getting ready to be on my own, I don’t want to overdo it.

I sounds like you're doing quite well. I'm 11 weeks post-op and just reached 110 on my own - which is quite an improvement, but took time (well, 11 weeks). Good for you for speaking up - it's not easy.

I made the mistake of mentioning my support system (you guys) to my pt and she got a little miffed when I spoke about the resulting swelling and pain after we pushed to 92. Thanks to you guys, I’m advocating for myself.
Great to hear you are advocating for yourself @Neveragain2021! :thumb: You're doing plenty on your own, PT, particularly one that will push your knee, isn't helping, it's hurting.

I'm doing the same as you guys now, and doing quite well I think.
Last time I was with PT he insisted on the bike, I was 8 weeks then, he pushed my knee backwards around the pedals, the pain was horrendous, I screamed, he then did it twice more, at which time I was in abject pain, crying and struggling to get off.
The pain and swelling lasted for 5 days, which was misery.
I havent returned, and feel that in my own way, at 13 weeks, I have gained enough knowledge to go it alone.
I do do a little too much some days, but have learned to pace, and allow myself to have one day a week without the exercises. It gives me and the knee a rest!
Keep up your work everyone we WILL get there!! x

Thanks to you guys, I’m advocating for myself.
Good for you for speaking up - it's not easy.
Great to hear you are advocating for yourself @Neveragain2021! :thumb: You're doing plenty on your own, PT, particularly one that will push your knee, isn't helping, it's hurting.
I havent returned, and feel that in my own way, at 13 weeks, I have gained enough knowledge to go it alone.
@babcha I am so sorry your PT did that, it was very wrong of him. You did the right thing not going back to him.

All of us should always remember this:

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Checking in…

Doing some kicks with my left (unimproved) leg, and the knee buckled! Yes, pt was there and she had to grab me to keep me from hitting the floor! The scream alerted my s/o, and he came running loaded for .

I gotta say it frightened me. Result was a red, swollen and hot knee. Increased clicking was expected and it did arrive, but mentally, I didn’t expect to be so shaken up. I was at 0/90, but I’m now 0/88. I’m at 5 weeks and a day and I gotta admit it; I’m scared. I now have a genuine fear of falling.

I’m sleeping better thanks to the suggestion of a body pillow, but as of today, I’m back to the walker.

I’m scared.

Omgoodness…thank you for being here for me at this time.

I’m 62 and have suffered with osteo and rheumatoid arthritis since I was in my 30’s. When I found that the steroid shot was only giving me effective relief for 4 weeks, I knew it was time to listen to the doctor and schedule the surgery. And yes, I had gone to a level where tkr was my only option.
After having my surgery rescheduled 3x, and dealing with the anxiety and depression associated with it, we got the go ahead.

But now, I can’t sleep, can’t eat, afraid to drink too much because of the struggle to the bathroom at night. I’m hoping y’all have some tips that are tried and true. Also, came home with major bed sores so you know I’m just loving the back sleeping.

Listen, any tip, any tip, if it worked for you I’ll try it. It’s been almost a month postop (21st). I feel like I’m losing my mind.
Good afternoon

Sorry you are having a tough time. I had my knee replacement 2 years ago. Still regret it. Got 130 degree ROM in a few weeks, but I still have more pain then before surgery. In hindsight I believe I should have done more research on the surgeon. My right knee, which has not been replaced, is almost completely bone on bone, but after my left knee went so bad personally unless I cannot walk at all I will never have that one done. I am 63 years old, have been over 300 pound for most of my adult life at 6'4" and figure I will make 80 if I am lucky. for the 15 to 20 years I have left I will try to work with what I have.

All that said I know there are many people on this site that have had much better results than I had. As for your replacement, 30 days out is still pretty early. Hopefully with time you will see major improvement. I do not believe my results are the norm. There are folks that had their replacement and a few months later working out, running and playing golf pain free!! It does happen with a good number of TKRs. I am hoping that with time, PT and patience that you see significant improvement!!

Hang in there

DOC

and the knee buckled!
Result was a red, swollen and hot knee. Increased clicking was expected and it did arrive,
Give your surgeon a call and let him/her know what happened.

I was at 0/90, but I’m now 0/88. I’m at 5 weeks and a day
2 degrees is nothing to worry about, that can happen any day, even without a situation like you just experienced. Your number is going to fluctuate depending on healing rate and activity.

Omgoodness…thank you for being here for me at this time
I will never have that one done. and figure I will make 80 if I am lucky. for the 15 to 20 years I have left I will try to work with what I have. DOC

I am right there with you at this time. I understand there are others that have had fantastic recoveries, but…

Checking in…

Doing some kicks with my left (unimproved) leg, and the knee buckled! Yes, pt was there and she had to grab me to keep me from hitting the floor! The scream alerted my s/o, and he came running loaded for .
Doing kicks doesn't make sense to me this early if at all.

Looks like my time with pt is coming to an end. I did however purchase a pedal pusher, the only part of therapy I looked forward to. I’m at 0/90 and content to go further as my body decides. Surgeon mentioned 112 at consultation but now says 120. I just want to heal and increase my walking.
image.jpg

90 at a little over a month bodes well for you. A gentle but steady approach should get you some more ROM.
Jockette is exactly right about variations in your measurement. Don't worry about day to day. It's the trend that counts. And like you say-- a good goal is to heal and increase the things you are able to do over the coming months.

Week 8/9 postop…
The stiffness is sometimes unbearable. I can walk, no problem, for greater periods of time, but the flexibility eludes me still. Any suggestions on how to deal with the blues that seem to be stalking me? The ice machine is good, but my arthritic hip is having issues. Second visit to surgeon, has him saying next visit, 6weeks from now, he’ll X-ray the hip for changes since 2019.

You all have been there for me in the past, I’m counting on your experience with the mental side of healing.

We share a surgery date and, unfortunately, a flexion issue. I am stuck at 80 degrees right now and fight the blues. My solution is to look for things that are better and I hope that you can identify milestones too. Since Saturday, I can walk without pain the vast majority of the time, I can now lift my foot and tap my toe on a 6 inch riser, my gait is getting better, etc. It is such a mental game at this point. I see my surgeon for the first time since surgery next Monday, and I know that he will be unhappy with my flexion and probably mention an MUA, which I will refuse. I know that the Bonesmart way is correct, but it is tough to stay strong in the face of opposition to that approach. We tried something new in PT today, and my knee instantly stiffened up. So, instead of giving into the blues, I am thinking about how much better I feel overall. I hope that things get better for you.

Any suggestions on how to deal with the blues that seem to be stalking me?
This can indeed be a very stressful recovery, emotionally. Try to remember the blues are very common, and normal. We are here for you. :console2:

Thank you all, once again.

Tears have been shed, withdrawal from activities has occurred and, discharge from pt is taking place this morning. The case manager says I’m out of time, and measuring 78 degrees. Wow.

Well, with their attitude its a good thing they are discharging you. You don’t need their negativity. You are absolutely not out of time and you’ll prove it.

Please try not to worry, you’ve got this, and we’re with you all the way! :console2:

Hang out here with us, Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

The case manager says I’m out of time, and measuring 78 degrees. Wow.
The case manager is an idiot and should be fired. Out of time after less than 2 months? Utterly ridiculous. Some of us take longer than others to regain ROM, but there is no short period of time to regain ROM.
Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.

Here's an article you might find interesting.

I guess I forgot to add that I, also, gained ROM in my second year, and even a bit more in my third.

You‘re going to be fine.

This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back