TKR Struggling to Bend

A lift is something they can put in your shoe to help make your legs more even

Oh ok I have heel lifts in my shoes from being knocked knee.

We have this awesome shoe store here in my town that does that kind of stuff. I will go there and have them measure me when I go back to work. Get some fresh shoes for work

I'm back here today because of the knee bending too. I had tkr 8/23. I can put my leg completely straight but bending it sucks!! My in home PT is telling me to work hard on stretching and bending so it doesn't lock. It really hurts to do it. I feel like it sets me back. I didn't mean to hijack this post but really don't understand how to do a new post correctly (a little help please is very welcome)

I know of the activity progression area on here (VERY) helpful. Is there a PT progression area?

I want a great recovery. I'm having my other knee done 10/25 and I dont want to screw up. I love the idea of if it hurts, stop, but will my knee freeze? Sigh.

I didn't mean to hijack this post but really don't understand how to do a new post correctly (a little help please is very welcome)
No worries, I started a Recovery Thread for you here:

Here is some helpful information:

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:

Its ok I'm in the same position. I can flex it straight all the way but can't bend it without feeling like it's gonna snap. I'm not doing my other one till next year.

Getting extension (being able to straighten the knee) usually is harder to achieve than flexion is. Flexion will come as the swelling, both external and internal go down. Think of a garden hose with a nozzle on it. When it's under pressure (swollen) the hose doesn't want to bend, but remove the pressure and it bends easily. That why PT that causes more swelling actually reduces your ROM.

I haven't been to PT in 3 days and today I have noticed I'm able to bend comfortably while walking. Usually it's like fighting against a rubber band to bend when stepping.

The normal feeling feels amazing. You take little things like your knee and leg and walking for granted until it's hard to do. I kinda forgot how to walk on my surgery leg. But today it feels great walking around doing chores without any help.

If when you go to PT next time, and you again have trouble bending at some point after that, you will know that what you are doing in PT is more than your healing knee is ready for. Cut back on some, or all, of the PT and give your knee more time to heal.

Gentle bends and walks around the house, though not to excess, is all your healing knee needs at one month post op.

I go tomorrow at 4pm I will post how I'm feeling when I get home and if I stiffen up I'll cut back to 2 days a week.

I have noticed if I sleep with my knee bent through the night I can bend it easier the next day.

A gentle bend is fine to sleep with. Too often we are told to keep the knee totally straight, and that is not necessary and can be painful.

You are right its painful to sleep with it straight. Then it stays straight the rest of the day.

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

I‘m glad you found some things to do, and positions, that help you feel better.

Bonesmart has been a wonderful tool for my recovery. Friday I felt overwhelmed and my anxiety was through the roof over my ROM but since talking to everyone on here I feel night and day better about it. So I want to thank you all for the support I needed.

I go tomorrow at 4pm I will post how I'm feeling when I get home and if I stiffen up I'll cut back to 2 days a week.
3 days is the standard it seems like all PTs promote. With my 2nd knee, I knew that was not necessary. For me, pretty much once I knew the exercises, PT was mostly helpful to see my progress and make some adjustments to exercises as I was ready for them. I did 2x per week but told the PT that if I felt like I needed more, I would increase to 3 days. They were ok with that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back