TKR LKTR 19 May recovery

Today drove short distances for the first time after surgery in 3 stretches of about 2 miles each. Had no problem.
Going back to work on August 16th full time. Initially for 2 weeks, will have to go to office 4 days a week and one day from home. Thereafter, it will be 3 days in office and 2 days from home. My commute will be about 15 miles each way with 13 miles on interstate for 1st month. Thereafter I will be moving to my new home which is close to work.
Any advice?

always keep instant ice packs in your car in case you need to pull over because of pain. ziplock baggies at work if you can get ice there, or a small cooler bag with ice packs.

Thank you, Jo Wo!

When I ice my knee, I feel needle pricks around the incision. Has anyone experienced it? My incision has completely healed and there is no swelling.

How long do I need to do the knee exercises? After 10 days, when I start going to work, I will not be able to do anything except walkin and, some heel slides in evenings.

If you don’t have any swelling then you don’t really need to ice. I had to stop icing because it began to actually hurt. My knee told me it had had enough!

You can stop the exercises any time you you want. By now your knee most likely gets plenty of appropriate movement as you go through your day, and will get even more once you go back to work. ADLs (Activities of Daily Living) are the best “natural PT.”

Thank you, Jockette!
My knee used to disturb my sleep at night. So my OS suggested icing and it helped. Last night I tried to go without icing and again I had disturbed night due to pain level atabout 4.

Another question...I still need 6 tyllenols a day. Is that too much?

Instead of an “ice pack” maybe try something that you keep in the refrigerator, rather than the freezer. It will still be cool, but not ice cold. My daughter actually suggested this to me last summer when I had a foot problem and I couldnt stand how cold the pack was from the freezer.

I took Tylenol for many months. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea but it doesn’t seem to have had a negative effect on me. What dose are you taking?

Sandy, one night I didn't want to bother my husband for more ice so I wrung out a washcloth in cold water and draped it over my hot knee. every few minutes I would pick it up and wave it in the air and put it back on the knee. It was cool enough to soothe for a half hour.

Thank you, Jockette and Jo Wo!

I took Tylenol for many months. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea but it doesn’t seem to have had a negative effect on me. What dose are you taking?

I take 3 doses of 1000mg each time - total 3000 mg per day.

Sandy,
I am so sorry to hear about your stroke. Hopefully , things are improving on that end. Your ROM is excellent for almost 11 weeks out. What kind of exercises are you doing in bed? Are you able to ride a stationary bike at all? The recumbent bike really helped me with loosening up my knee.

@Sandy11 Oh my goodness. I have not been on the forum for quite a while and just read your post saying that you had a stroke. I am so sorry to hear this -- but from your reports, it appears you are recovering from that well. Keep up the walking if you can because it will make a difference in your overall health. Stretching exercises also have helped me.
Have you considered asking your doctor about Tylenol dosage? Is the pain interfering with your daily activities? I still take one 650 Arthritis Strength Tylenol if I am going on a very long hike or going to be standing a lot.
Good luck on your move to a new home. I know the shorter commute will be a relief. By the way, I haven't done PT exercises for more than a month. But I have been doing strengthening and weight training so I hope I am covered.
Best of luck from your surgery twin. Please update us.

I take 3 doses of 1000mg each time - total 3000 mg per day.
That is within the safe daily dosage. Let your doctor know that’s what your’re taking and they will keep an eye on things.

Thank you all. I have recovered well from my stroke.

Your ROM is excellent for almost 11 weeks out. What kind of exercises are you doing in bed? Are you able to ride a stationary bike at all?
Yes, I am lucky about my ROM. It has been like that since week 8. I don't have stationary bike at home. But when I go for PT, I start with 6 minutes of biking. I have attached the exercises I am doing currently in addition to bridge, Ankle pumps/rolls, Quad sets, Gluteal sets, Straight leg raise combined with side slide and Heel slide.

Have you considered asking your doctor about Tylenol dosage? Is the pain interfering with your daily activities? I still take one 650 Arthritis Strength Tylenol if I am going on a very long hike or going to be standing a lot.
I am planning to ask my doctor during my visit next week. Sometimes I am okay with 2 doses of Tylenol. Sometimes I need to take 3 doses as it does affect my activities. My walking also varies. I walk half a mile to a mile. In long hike, how long you go?

Attachments

• Knee-Hip exercises week 11.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 476
Or you could try 500mg 4x a day (ex. with meals and at bedtime)--that would keep a level in your system but take your dosage down to 2,000mg.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88