THR Hipster Chic's Wild Ride Round 2 (THR-L/Superpath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipster_chic

Country
United States United States
Hey all,
Thought I'd start this thread to document my 2nd THR journey!

I had THR-R/Superpath back in 2014 & just as I was celebrating my 7yr hip-a-versary, learned that I need to replace my left hip :nah:

So far, the left hip has been TOTALLY different than what I experienced with my right!

I started getting odd pains in my left groin area and thigh back in December. It lasted about 2wks, then seemingly moved to my right (THR 2014), and then moved to my lower back, then back to left side and so on for about 6wks or so. I was initially concerned that my THR-R was the culprit, but after a visit to my doc (and X-ray/MRI) learned that my left side is now arthritic.

I tried getting cortisone to see if I could avoid surgery for just a wee bit longer, but unfortunately, the cortisone only made things much much worse :hissy: So now I'm scheduled for THR-L/Superpath on 8/18.

The thought of another surgery is a bit overwhelming at times as I really thought I'd only need righty replaced! Never thought that lefty would be an issue...ugh.

@hipster_chic Bummer and sorry. That is actually my fear too since I also have some dysplasia in my (currently, knock wood) "good" hip. There are many happy double hippies here, though, so hopefully that is reassuring. I expect someone will come along to share soon--or the search function is pretty helpful. Good luck.

Ugh, sorry you're going through so much. If you want to share, how did the cortisone make it much worse?

I will have to google "superpath"---I've never heard of it. I know it's all
very overwhelming! Best of luck!

Ugh, sorry you're going through so much. If you want to share, how did the cortisone make it much worse?

I will have to google "superpath"---I've never heard of it. I know it's all
very overwhelming! Best of luck!
I’ve heard that cortisone is always risky as I believe it can cause further cartilage deterioration over time. In my case, I’m uncertain what caused things to go awry this time around. The one thing it did do was it stopped the “movement” of the pain (ie now only my left hip hurts) and of course made me realize that I needed another THR ☺️

The thought of another surgery is a bit overwhelming at times as I really thought I'd only need righty replaced! Never thought that lefty would be an issue...ugh.

Sorry you have to go through another surgery and recovery, but guessing you did well last time and hopefully this time will feel easier due to your experience with, Righty.
Wishing you all the best and comfort as you await next Wednesday.

Hello @hipster_chic
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you all the best with your surgery tomorrow.
Hope to see you on the healing sign when you’re back home and settled in. :)

Hello all! I'm on the "other side" woot-woot!!!

Surgery took place on Weds 8/18.

I had the Superpath procedure with Dr Grandic at Bethesda West hospital. This is my second THR surgery: THR-R was completed back in 2014.

Unfortunately, the THR-L was pretty rough when compared to my 2014 surgery :yikes:

The day before my surgery date, my doctors office told me that due to a lack of beds at Bethesda West, there was a very good chance that I’d be released from the hospital on the same day as the surgery. This was concerning to me, as I live alone and didn’t make plans for anyone to stay with me for the first 72hrs post op (I assumed I'd still be in the hospital). I reminded the hospital (and Dr G) of this during surgery check-in, and was told “we’ll see how you do & decide from there”. Again, very concerning.

I received a spinal block, along with a shot of anesthesia (propofol). And halfway through the surgery, the anesthesia wore off, so although I was still numb from the spinal block, I could hear the saw grinding (and I felt jiggling/pressure to my left side) as well as the OR teams banter about real estate prices in South Florida :eeeuw:

I tried asking for more anesthesia but was ignored. I remained awake while they finished up & while they wheeled me to the recovery room.

After a few hours, they attempted to start physical therapy, but by then I was in a LOT of pain (the block wore off), so after crying etc they finally provided IV pain meds (Dilaudid). The hospital was indeed short on regular beds, however they were able to house several of us surgery patients in an unused step down section of the hospital. I stayed there for the next 48hrs.

The nurses at Bethesda West were downright amazing! They seriously went above & beyond to keep on top of my meds etc. I’m so so thankful for their level of care.

I was discharged on Friday, and am getting home health care starting Monday. Luckily I can do almost everything for myself, but I cannot get in/out of my adjustable bed without assistance....yet!

At 96hrs post op, I am able to manage pain with OxyContin & Extra Strength Tylenol. I’m experiencing mostly “surgery” pain, and am pretty swollen so am icing/elevating constantly.

All in all, I’m relieved to have gotten through the surgery & am hoping/praying that my recovery continues without any issues .

One of the things I wish I’d done differently: I should’ve asked Dr Grandic to cancel my surgery & re-schedule for a time that’s further out (and hopefully past the Delta variant surge). It just seems like pushing forward with the surgery had some negative repercussions from the patient point of view (and I’m sure for the nursing & medical support teams POV).

I'll update with more as I can. Hoping my fellow August hippies are doing well!!

Welcome to recovery and congrats on your new hip!

Please join us on the healing side of the forum where you’ll get much more feedback in the form of support and encouragement from those in various stages of recovery and beyond. Let us know if you need helping starting a thread there.

It sounds like you’re doing well after a few bumps in the road. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out. I look forward to following your healing journey and hope to hear from you again soon. :)

Below you’ll find the Recovery Guidelines -

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
you’ll find the Recovery Guidelines -

I hope you're doing well (I will check your recovery thread later).
But these two things realllllly bothered me! Your story is
another reason I am completely terrified to have a THR!

I tried asking for more anesthesia but was ignored.

Wait...what? They ignored you?

a LOT of pain (the block wore off), so after crying etc they finally provided IV pain meds (Dilaudid)

When you say "finally".....how long were you in agony before
they gave you the pain meds? This worries me because it
happened to me many years ago, too. I remember being
in the recovery room and wishing someone would relieve
my pain, but I was too groggy to speak, and they were
soooo busy! And with the delta
surge, I know nursing staff are completely exhausted! Ugh,
I think I'm just going to keep delaying my THR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh @hipster_chic fellow August hippie here. So sorry to hear you got off to such a rocky start! Sending you good wishes for a smooth recovery

Hope your recovery goes well. Very sorry to hear about the troubles with your surgery. I am very lucky, my surgery could not have gone more smoothly. Had really no post-op pain for a day or two. In and out the same day, but I had help at home. My recovery since then has been a bit up and down. I hope you recover quickly.

Sorry to hear your 2nd surgery was not as easy. Hope your recovery is going well now. I am scheduled for SuperPath TRH on 11/19 outpatient. I am anxious to hear how you recover.

I am scheduled to have my Superpath with Dr. Grandic in Nov 2021. I wish other patients who have recently had a THR with Dr. Grandic would post. I was worried about doing it since if Dr. Grandic had not been doing them much for a year, there would be a time to get his skills up to speed again. I read a thoughtful article by another joint replacement surgeon about this re all joint replacement surgeons. Now I am very worried.

I thought I would have it in mid - Nov due to the alleged small downturn in Covid cases now.

Now I don't know whether to believe the inpatient people at Bethesda West I spoke to regarding the current situation. And I was MORTIFIED when I read your anesthesia situation and that you were left crying in pain. It sounds like the anesthesia person was incompetent or left the surgery during your operation. In my final appointment with Dr. Grandic I am going to insist on knowing who will be doing the anesthesia, whether the person will be leaving the room, whether Dr. Grandic will be leaving the room to work on other patients, etc. He already said he will be the only one operating on me. Dr. Grandic already said won't leave the block in due to risk of infection, but I cannot let them do to me what was done to you. I was also already worried since Dr. Grandic was not planning to see me after the surgery. That is also not OK. While my first surgery resulted in a bad outcome, the anesthesia was excellent.

I have had to live in pain from the first THR for many years. So, doing the second one is terrifying. I appreciate your sharing your experience so I can check more before I have the surgery.

I thought the Superpath was supposed to create a lot less pain and inflammation, so I am surprised you were in terrible shape after three days - I don't know if that was after the three days in the hospital. Like you I won't have help, so now I am more concerned. I would insist on two nights in the hospital but with Covid it seems risky. You have a Sept note that you were better so it seems it took you a long time to improve.

To FlaGal - are you planning to have Superpath with Dr. Grandic? You said as outpatient? I thought patients spend a night in the hospital and he does surgery at Bethesda East one day a week and at Bethesda West one day but does not operate on Friday. Perhaps you are havingbthe Superpath with a different doctor in FL. .

@2hipreplacement Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you please start your own thread in the pre-op area so that our members can reply to you directly. This is hipster_chic's thread and we don't want to derail it. Here's the tutorial on Starting a new thread and posting.

First if Jaycey sees this thanks so much for your first extensive post re what happened to you and for your even more extensive later post re what happened and how you are now and icing tip. After your first post I decided to get a small freezer for next to my bed to keep ice packs in. For anyone reading this CVS has great large size ones that stay soft when frozen and have a washable cover to keep you from getting frostbite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics