PKR IRONGIRL PKR 5 months after

Do you have any Zofran? That should help with your nausea. I also found that motion-sickness pills helped with my nausea, too, and an added benefit was they made me sleepy.

I had awful nausea for the first week or so and I was taking anything for pain. I found applesauce to help settle my tummy down.

@liam2015 thanks for your insight, I do have some Zofran but i just dont do well with all these drugs so will attempt to stick to Tylenol and celbrex and hope the nausea subsides in the next few days. I was put under general anesthesia and intubated so wondering if still trying to off gas all those drugs as well. Hoping tomorrow is better.

@Irongirl56 I am sorry you are having the nausea. I agree it might be the general anesthesia taking its time to wear off. I think the Celebrex actually upset my stomach, but I took it as long as I could stand it. Ginger ale and plain old saltine crackers will be easy on your stomach. Anything with ginger might help.
Just keep remembering that these first few weeks are the hardest and most uncomfortable. I think yo have been through it before. Yesterday was my 5-week anniversary and I logged 5,000 steps and rode the stationary bike for 15 minutes. Only some tightness remains. You will get there.

@Flutter1 thanks so much for the encouragement, i have read all your posts for guidance and inspiration! I am thinking the Celebrex might be the culprit as well so was going to try to wean off of it too. Sounds like you are doing great and i look forward to week 5!

@Irongirl56 please keep posting so we know how you are doing. It’s a bit of trial and error, isn’t it? It was mentioned here before a few times that your pharmacist might be able to help with discerning if meds are contributing to feeling really yucky. It will get better! :console2:

Sorry for the late reply @GAsue I was out of town.

I use a foam roller and they come in different sizes and shapes. Just google “foam roller” and you will have a million choices!
Take care.

@Irongirl56 I am sorry you are having the nausea. I agree it might be the general anesthesia taking its time to wear off. I think the Celebrex actually upset my stomach, but I took it as long as I could stand it. Ginger ale and plain old saltine crackers will be easy on your stomach. Anything with ginger might help.
Just keep remembering that these first few weeks are the hardest and most uncomfortable. I think yo have been through it before. Yesterday was my 5-week anniversary and I logged 5,000 steps and rode the stationary bike for 15 minutes. Only some tightness remains. You will get there.
@Irongirl56 I hope you feel better soon. Nausea is the pits!

Post op day 10, finally woke up with minimal nausea. first time I felt like I could even write on here since last Wednesday.
Yesterday felt like I had drank 2 bottles of bad wine the nite before. I have come off of all meds except my daily aspirin and then use tylenol or Advil at nite. Seems to be helping with this nauseous feeling.

knee is doing ok, still swollen but increasing CPM ROM to 53 and tolerating. ditched the single crutch and switched to cane yesterday but I find the cane makes me limp more or peg leg it out of habit so am not using the that much either and seem to be doing ok at least inside. Focusing on how to walk correctly as it has been such a long time since I haven’t had to limp!
If I go outside I usually bring the cane for a short walk in the back yard. We are in the middle of an unprecedented heat wave so not going out much though, ie 104 today, not good for the Northwest!

I do feel like I am making some progress on ROM and strength. I can do all the required exercises except those darn heel slides hence the use of the CPM.
pain wise I am fine during the day, occasional increase if I stand too much but use ice machine and elevate to deal with that.
Sleep is going ok these last two nites. Advil works great but i have to use sparingly as it really impacts my gut so alternating with tylenol.
I quit wearing the thigh high ted hose as I couldn’t take one more nite in them, too hot. Think I am moving enough to not use. Instead I wrapped my knee in an ace wrap for sleeping and to compress for swelling. That went well. Also reminds me to be careful of that knee when I sleep.
I did figure out how to turn on my side to sleep, keeping my new knee on top and straight with a pillow in between. Sometimes it hurts so I switch to my back again but man it is nice to have that option even if for 30 min or so.
Get my staples out next week, so looking forward to that although I have been showering anyway using a transfer chair and keep my leg outside of the tub covered in a plastic leg sleeve i got off of amazon. That has worked great.
I am hoping I have turned the corner for nausea anyway. Thank goodness the Olympic Trials on on to watch, getting so tired of bad movies!

ditched the single crutch and switched to cane yesterday but I find the cane makes me limp more or peg leg it out of habit so am not using the that much either and seem to be doing ok at least inside. Focusing on how to walk correctly as it has been such a long time since I haven’t had to limp!
You might want to try using a walker for a week or so and see if that helps give you better support.

I‘m glad your nauseous feeling is getting better, that’s awful to deal with.

There are so many different opinions about those stockings, from the medical experts, do what’s best for you and just continue to move around as you are, maybe ankle pumps if you‘ve been resting a while.

That’s great you can lay on your side for a bit, I still can’t do that, but I adjusted very well to sleeping on my back.

It took me a few weeks to be able to sleep on my side, but I bought a body pillow that gives my whole leg support when I'm on my side and that has helped a lot. I definitely recommend a body pillow if you have one or can get one.

Thanks all, I don’t really need any more support, its just habit of limping when I used a cane before surgery. So at this time just walking without any assistance fine.
I do have a body pillow but read that you should not move the surgery leg forward when on your side at this time so I keep both legs stacked with a pillow between.
The roller referred to above is a Foam roller, you can get on amazon or any sporting goods store to roll out sore muscles. I have been using for years for my muscles while triathlon training. you have probably seen them at PT too.
Problem with foam rollers is you typically have to get on the floor to use but there are many hand held rollers you can use on your muscles as well. Kind of like self massage. I also have a Thera Gun which is an electric massage gun that works great on sore muscles as well. Just do a search on amazon and many options will come up.
The above suggestion was to roll out our sore muscles that occur from the surgery itself., i noticed my calf was really sore immediately afterwards and still is a bit today so foam rolling may help alleviate the soreness and tightness in it.

Thanks for the information on the rollers. I’m continuing to have horrible muscle spasms and might try and order one and see if it might help. Of course, the TheraGun sounds great, too. Nothing like a soothing massage.

@Irongirl56 so happy to hear you turned a corner with the nausea. I think it's better to use a walking aid that helps us to use a more normal gait. I cant wait to be able to get off some of these meds. they are giving me digestive issues lower down, enough said.

Thanks for the information on the rollers. I’m continuing to have horrible muscle spasms and might try and order one and see if it might help. Of course, the TheraGun sounds great, too. Nothing like a soothing massage.
@GAsue, one of the other things I use for restless legs/spasms and have used for the past 20 years is a magnesium product called CALM (Amazon or Costco) It is a powder you mix with warm water and drink before bed. Recommend the Raspberry Lemonade flavor. It has always worked well to relax my muscles better than magnesium pills and it is absorbed a bit easier and faster. Note of caution, it will act as a laxative so start with the amount listed on the directions and increase gradually.

@Irongirl56 so happy to hear you turned a corner with the nausea. I think it's better to use a walking aid that helps us to use a more normal gait. I cant wait to be able to get off some of these meds. they are giving me digestive issues lower down, enough said.
Thanks Jo Wo, I do find I tend to limp more with an aid. Not using one makes me focus on my walking form. I have been on crutches so much in the last 3 years hard to break the habit. I hope you are doing well and can get off your meds soon as well.

Sounds like you doing great irongirl56. remember to keep icing and elevating and let the knee heal.

Trying hard not to get ahead of myself thats for sure!

14 days post op today. 3 days nausea free, starting to feel like my old self. Staples out today, that hurts a bit, but no more than a tattoo! Walked 3 blocks this morning and felt great. Used hiking poles for assist. Went to doctor for staple removal then Fleet Feet for new running/walking shoes as my reward!
Did some upper body work yesterday using my VR set Occulus go, basically boxing. Stood for 10 min for that with no problems.
I quit wearing my ted hose and was thoroughly chastised by the Ortho MA today but I wrap my knee in an ace wrap for sleep as I have done with my other surgerys to keep swelling down. I feel I am active enough to be through the DVT risk stage. Still on aspirin too and fish oil.
Pain is minimal except at nite, so still alternating Tylenol every other nite with Advil. I put ice on just before I go to sleep and take my CALM magnesium supp which all seems to keep the restless legs at bay.
ROM is still only about 60 by my best guess and the CPM machine. I seem to gain a little bit more each day as I increase activity. I start outpatient PT next week so I am sure that will improve a bit with their help (But I wont let them hurt me:)
Feeling pretty optimistic about all this. I know a PKR is not nearly as complicated as a TKR for recovery so my hats off to all of you that are in TKR recovery. (I imagine I will be there eventually as well).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom