THR Hi! Post THR recovery

My understanding it’s to avoid the risk of infection in case there is some minuscule little opening in your incision that you’re unaware of. Many surgeons allow bathing and swimming earlier, but I was of the thought that if I didn’t do as instructed by my OS and had to suffer consequences, I’d kick myself.
@JohnWilky

10 week tomoz and strangely feeling little achy tonight had my regular walk at lunchtime today iced thoroughly afterwards but felt as stiff in the joint area more than I’ve experienced before.
Not worried because I’ve read about the up/ down nature of recovery, not that painful that makes me suffer, just uncomfortable ( mechanical ) feeling.
Of course my 10 week range of movement has improved beyond my hopes, I can even kneel for a short time now.So naturally I’m testing areas that have been dormant for 10 weeks , so as they wake up I’m expecting some different feel.Still using one elbow crutch for support, and doesn’t feel like I will be giving that up soon ( any thoughts)
I will take 2 paracetamol before bed , not needed them for several week .Oh and I’ve started drinking (typo) had a pint yesterday haha, no I’ve started driving again , so another milestone.
Good luck all , sorry for boring you.

@JohnWilky Not boring at all, John! It's wonderful to hear you are doing well. It is not at all unusual for odd aches, pains, stiffness to occur even a while after hip replacement. When I was going through that with my hips I did sometimes wonder if it those things were really related to the hip replacements ... or were they just because I was getting in to the "old age" category. I was 64yo when I had both hips replaced.

Use the crutch as long as you think you need it... and maybe try not using it just around home. I think I ditched my crutches around 2 months post-op but used a cane for another month or so after that.

Well I was disappointed about your typo @JohnWilky ;-). Having a pint would have been my kind of milestone! I did have a mimosa for Mother's Day but that's mostly OJ so I'm not counting it as a drink (I've been off narcotics for 1 1/2 weeks). Now that I'm doing more episodically, I have entered the some days are better than others phase of recovery too. Sending you wishes for more good days than bad...

Last edited:
Now that restrictions have been partly relaxed in UK, for non UK Smarties we can visit the pub, so long as you quaff outside in the 'beer garden' it's important to get together with friends who can be cruel in their way of showing sympathy, and apart from the initial “how ya doing“ nobody dwells on it because everyone has their own particular problems, conversation soon turns to general subjects along with the 'Micky taking' it's good for the soul, in moderation!!! It can be uncomfortable supping outside in UK (although Sat wasn't too bad) and we have only 1 more week of these restrictions as from next week almost normal service i.e Dining and drinking inside returns amongst many other recreational activities thankfully the return.

Happy Monday, JW!
Yes, things seem to be returning to the more familiar.. thankfully.
It can be uncomfortable supping outside in UK

Wondering, how so? If it has to do with the seating, or length of time sitting, you may consider bringing a chair cushion, some here have mentioned doing so in the past, until it felt more comfortable for them.

Not too much quaffing now, :beer: then falling down and stalling all the good progress you’ve made.:wink:
Have a great week!

11week report, walking absolutely fine still, but only with the aide of my elbow crutch, trying to stumble around house without it, but some way off going solo. Sleeping (much better) eventually, but struggle to drop off initially (this maybe due to my other problem PD) Still zero pain and no need for meds, just a little tsge uncomfortable at times (relaxing and bedtime) All in all very pleased with the op, just taking a little bit longer to get as mobile at this stage that I imagined. Ice after long walks offers good relief. Steady as she goes as they say. Good luck everyone.

@JohnWilky sounds like you are doing well! Don't worry about still needing the crutch. Depending on how long you limped around pre-op, it can take awhile to go it alone.

Drinks in pubs from tomorrow - enjoy! :cheers:

11week report , walking absolutely fine still but only with the aide of my elbow crutch ,trying to stumble around house without it , but some way off going solo .Sleeping ( much better ) eventually but struggle to drop off initially ( this maybe due to my other problem PD) Still zero pain and no need for meds ,just a little tsge uncomfortable at times ( relaxing and bedtime ) All in all very pleased with hthe op , just taking a little bit longer to get as mobile at this stage that I imagined .Ice after long walks offers good relief . steady as she goes as they say . Good luck everyone

your progress sounds good John. From just under 3 weeks post-op, I look forward to being where you are. Ice is one of my ‘best friends’. All the best!

Thxs folks, yea can have a pint without shivering (and it’s lashing down again, here in Manchester) but guess what “do you mind baby sitting tonight“ so will have that pleasure later on in week I’ll limp into local.
No rush Cannygirl it will pass quicker than you think, stay well girl.
Good luck everyone, a safe and careful recovery.

Never missing an opportunity to mither everyone hahaha, just on about still needing the one elbow crutch, to save everyone reading back thru my threads, I can manage pretty much anything on the one elbow crutch, well! Apart from running, cycling, swimming, gymnastics, plus that is.
But...without the one stick I have a proper exaggerated limp, detailed I find my gammy leg has problems weight bearing, thus making the good leg limp, it annoys the life out of mistress wilky, but I just can’t do it.
Surgeon said dunna worry and hipsters will say “how many times are we gunna tell him“ but how many weeks would you expect to be getting near.
Btw I didn’t have much of a limp pre op (luckily) in fact I could run backwards!! Useless I know.
Sorry for repeating myself.
Have a good day everyone.

Hope your week is sweet @JohnWilky
Lots of improvements coming your way still so hang in there.
Cheers:cheers2:

Surgeon said dunna worry and hipsters will say “how many times are we gunna tell him“ but how many weeks would you expect to be getting near.

Since your surgeon told you not to worry, I hope you are comfortable giving it more time. It takes some longer than others to set aside their assistive devices as you’ve read here. I don’t recall if you had PT, but a few sessions is always an option if you’re feeling up to it, without overdoing it that is.
Have a good week, JW! :)
@JohnWilky

Hi JohnWilky-
I have quite a limp without support, too. At pt I was asked to watch myself walk in a mirror and saw that I still tend to swing my leg out funny like I did before surgery - so I have to concentrate to walk properly. It is a bit more painful walking properly without assistance and I can’t do it very far. I switched to trekking poles for my walks which keep me moving smoothly - also they keep me from tripping when I start to drag at the end. I noticed recently that I get in a “movement groove” where I maintain proper gait for a few minutes after I put the poles down. Maybe that’s how the next phase starts?

Anyway, it helped me to hear that another March THR is also limping along — thank you!

12 weeks today summary , feelings that my brilliant pain free journey from March 1 st till today may have somewhat stalled a tad. Still relying on my one elbow stick and have that weird duck waddle without it, but as discussed before ,not worrying and taking my time.

I guess any huge steps may not happen at this stage , understanding that from now on it will be small gradual improvement.

Sleeping better ( not normal but that could’ve due to my PD) but can comfortably sleep on both sides , still use pillow between my legs.
Can walk along with others any distance and have been getting about town on public transport.

Driving too ( auto) without any real discomfort, Not taking any meds other than vitamins.

Need to get more mobile because apart from the obvious, intense exercise is highly recognised and recommended to slow down my early stage PD , still doing my basic recovery exercises , may need to up the ante a little carefully.

Many many thanks to everyone at Bonesmart and it’s contributors , it has been a major factor in my recovery.Good luck everyone hoping your recovery continues as sweet as mine.

@JohnWilky Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are still on track. Don't worry about still needing a walking aid. Use it as long as you need it so that you don't get in the habit of limping again.

Please be very careful about ramping up the exercise. Can you get a referral to PT so that your exercise routine takes into account your new hip?

Stay safe and don't be a stranger!

12 weeks today summary , feelings that my brilliant pain free journey from March 1 st till today may have somewhat stalled a tad. Still relying on my one elbow stick and have that weird duck waddle without it, but as discussed before ,not worrying and taking my time.
@JohnWilky I am one week behind you and am still using a walking aid. Two weeks ago (at 9 weeks post-op) I saw my PT because I felt like I was ready to go from a crutch to a stick but it felt so wobbly. She raised the height of it and that made all the difference as it helped my body stay upright rather than leaning towards the stick. I use a tramping pole that has a cork handle and a spring - the spring takes away a lot of impact which is better for my hand. I’m surprised I still need the stick as I walk so well with it but if I try without it everything feels weak and I tend to lurch to my operated side when moving my good leg through. So I’m just trying to be patient and hoping that eventually I can walk unaided. I say “hoping” because it still feels so far away but logically I know that it will happen one day. Anyway, thanks for your updates, they really help me a lot. Take care

Say it isn’t so...you’re not leaving us just yet?!! :cry:
We’d love to follow your progress awhile longer and it looks like your updates have helped Kiwihipster. I think your patience will pay off since you’re only (almost) three months into a recovery than can take a full year and even longer for some. Jaycey’s referral idea is a great one if you’re able to do that.
I hope you have a nice week!
@JohnWilky

Say it isn’t so...you’re not leaving us just yet?!! :cry:
I'm with Layla @JohnWilky, I hope you weren't saying good bye? Sharing your recovery has definitely helped others and I've enjoyed our interaction here and in the social room. I think your recovery still has more to offer those that follow so I hope we see you here again soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom