TKR Day 6 post-op LTKR

LateRainNYC

Country
United States United States
I am discouraged, because I don’t feel like there has been any substantial decrease in my pain.

It doesn’t hurt more than it did…it doesn’t hurt in any different way than it did…but it doesn’t feel better in any substantial way. Like I don’t even dare try to take 5mg of the Oxy instead of 10, even overnight.

I think someone talked about keeping a journal of the pain…I realize I’m a bit late in the game for it…but right now I feel like the pain is not going to improve.

I don’t feel like I’m doing too much-if anything, I feel like I’m not doing enough. I am walking, but I wouldn’t say it was every two hours.

95% of me is super-glad I didn’t do both knees at once. The other 5% just keeps thinking how nice it would be if I didn’t have to go through this again…

I am discouraged, because I don’t feel like there has been any substantial decrease in my pain.
Please reset your expectations. You are only days out of major surgery. You will see improvement, but you need to give that knee time to heal.

Are you icing and elevating regularly throughout the day? Ice will help ease this pain.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Please reset your expectations. You are only days out of major surgery. You will see improvement, but you need to give that knee time to heal.

Are you icing and elevating regularly throughout the day? Ice will help ease this pain

I am definitely icing and elevating. Had my second in-home PT today and I thought he was going to push me but when he saw I was struggling, he told me no more exercise today. (Don’t have to ask me twice!!!!!!!!)

I guess it’s that I look at the bottom of the bottle of pain pills and it feels like five days from now is when I’m supposed to stop needing them? And that seems unlikely from where I sit today.

I’m not the most patient person around, especially when it comes to dealing with my own limitations. I am very grateful for this community!

Hang in there LateRain! (I’m originally from NYC too!). You are SO early in recovery! This is a year long process (longer, for some) and it just cannot be rushed! This WILL be a test of your patience! I am 5 weeks out of my 2nd knee replacement and I am still sore, stiff and often discouraged! But I do know in the long run, things will get better.

Just a thought... oxy did nothing for my pain. I tried it for 4 weeks before my PT saw I was not progressing due to pain. My surgeon changed medication to Dilaudid and it made a huge difference.

Just a thought... oxy did nothing for my pain. I tried it for 4 weeks before my PT saw I was not progressing due to pain. My surgeon changed medication to Dilaudid and it made a huge difference.

Interesting…I know that when I was in the hospital, the times when I had morphine on board were better than when it was just the oxy. I will definitely keep that in mind!

yes, please hang in there. i am almost 3-weeks post-op and still taking 1 Oxy at bedtime. Give yourself a break. You've just had MAJOR surgery.

I get stressed out because I can’t go back to work if I am on any type of narcotics at all…then the anxiety kicks in like a runaway train and I go from zero to “I’m gonna be homeless!!!” in 30 seconds flat…

(I try to laugh at my anxiety when I can…it helps to challenge it in my head…so please take my comments with a grain of salt!!!)

Is the second time around better or worse? Is it easier when you know what to expect?

There's no way of predicting how a second surgery will compare with the first, but it can be easier to manage recovery if you've been there before.

The early days can be tough. :console2: It may be helpful to think in terms of stages of recovery. In the first couple of weeks my "big event" of the day was taking a shower. Then I was moving around the house more and then taking very short walks outside with the walker.
I was able to take pain meds for a full 6 weeks, though I was able to gradually increase time between doses. But I sure wasn't doing that in the first 2 weeks.

It doesn’t hurt more than it did…it doesn’t hurt in any different way than it did…but it doesn’t feel better in any substantial way. Like I don’t even dare try to take 5mg of the Oxy instead of 10, even overnight.

I think someone talked about keeping a journal of the pain…I realize I’m a bit late in the game for it…but right now I feel like the pain is not going to improve.

I don’t feel like I’m doing too much-if anything, I feel like I’m not doing enough. I am walking, but I wouldn’t say it was every two hours.

95% of me is super-glad I didn’t do both knees at once. The other 5% just keeps thinking how nice it would be if I didn’t have to go through this again…

Dear Late,
I think you are being too hard on yourself and expecting too much. Most people I know myself included had significat pain for at least the first four weeks - finally felt like I was rounding the bend at six weeks out. I did not use Oxy much - too constipating.... they gave me Tramadol - that is not quite as addictive and easier on the stomach - used that along with Tylenol and lots of ice and elevation. I did not have a polar ice machine - but had a lot of wraps that completely encircled the knee with cold packs inside of them that I would rotate. You will get there. Good luck.

I’m glad I read this thread. I also feel no decrease in pain and oxy isn’t helping at all. I’m stopping it because I‘m sick of the nausea and grogginess and lack of effectiveness with my pain. It’s day 8 post TLKR for me. I wish I knew when the pain would lessen. This is VERY discourging. I’m a 72 year old female. My physical therapist told me today that my surgical pain is over and now my pain is from swelling. I’m resting, icing, and elevating practically all day!

I definitely agree about wishing I knew when the pain would decrease. Not having any point of reference does make it more difficult.

I wish I could take ibuprofen, but obviously that doesn’t work with the blood thinners.
We will get through this…somehow. I am trying to take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time.

The early days can be tough. :console2: It may be helpful to think in terms of stages of recovery. In the first couple of weeks my "big event" of the day was taking a shower. Then I was moving around the house more and then taking very short walks outside with the walker.
I was able to take pain meds for a full 6 weeks, though I was able to gradually increase time between doses. But I sure wasn't doing that in the first 2 weeks.

I do get up and walk around my (very small) apartment several times a day. Not “walk around” per se, but go to the bathroom and then to the kitchen/living room. I have started to wonder if I am sitting up for too long a period of time (20 or 30 minutes, if I’m eating.)

EDIT: fixed the typo. No loving room here!!!:heehee:

Last edited:
I feel for you this early in your recovery when everything seems so dark! It seems the first2 weeks are the worst, so you are nearing that goalpost. It remains a challenge for many months, but perhaps not as acute as the first 2 weeks. I don’t think 20-30 minutes up is too long as long as you spend time afterwards resting and elevating. And yes, sometimes it seems like we have to get through 5 minutes at a time! This journey is not for the faint of heart! But you are not alone. You can do this.

When you’re sitting up, try to have your leg up on something so your foot is not on the floor. Sometimes any height is better than none. I wasn’t comfortable with my feet on the floor until about 3 months, and even after that I didn’t have them on the floor unless I had to!

I feel for you this early in your recovery when everything seems so dark! It seems the first2 weeks are the worst, so you are nearing that goalpost. It remains a challenge for many months, but perhaps not as acute as the first 2 weeks. I don’t think 20-30 minutes up is too long as long as you spend time afterwards resting and elevating. And yes, sometimes it seems like we have to get through 5 minutes at a time! This journey is not for the faint of heart! But you are not alone. You can do this.
Thank you so much. I guess I just look at this bottle of pills that runs out in five days and I just kind of doubt that the pain will be that far along by then. I miss ibuprofen!!!

When you’re sitting up, try to have your leg up on something so your foot is not on the floor. Sometimes any height is better than none. I wasn’t comfortable with my feet on the floor until about 3 months, and even after that I didn’t have them on the floor unless I had to!
Good plan. I am desperately trying to figure out a set-up for when I start working again. I have co-workers who set up their workspace in bed (not because they’re ill in any way), but I don’t think I would be the most skilled at it myself.

:banghead:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom