THR Post Op THR

Deputy#265

Country
United States United States
Right total hip replacement 3/11/21. Up and at it early this morning.
Had left hip resurfacing (Birmingham) 4 years ago. Hoping the dual mobility hip was a good alternative.

@Deputy#265 Well done for getting your recovery thread started!

I'll leave your guidelines here for you to refer to:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Just finished my first 200 yard walk.

Attachments

• IMG1881759675306400660.jpg
    IMG1881759675306400660.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 181
200 yards is rather a long walk for so early in recovery. Best you don't increase the distance for another week or so.
At this very early stage, just walking around your house every couple of hours is enough.

Just testing the waters. Dr told me to walk as much as possible and listen to my body. I didn't find it to be uncomfortable nor have I noticed any increased pain or swelling in the past couple hours. I'll waite and see how it feels tomorrow before doing it again. Thanks for the information.

I'll waite and see how it feels tomorrow before doing it again.

Hopefully you’ll feel okay. You may have read an often used phrase around here that does bear some truth - “it doesn’t hurt until you stop“. Sometimes that’s the next day. It happened to me once. Fingers crossed tomorrow is another good day for you, you seem to be doing very well! :yes!:

Thank you Layla
This is actually my second hip replacement had the left hip done in 2015. I'll give an update tomorrow.

Interesting too see in a few months how it feels compared to the hip resurfacing on the other side.

Good luck

Larry

Ljpviper
I agree. Really wanted a second resurfacing but most Dr's don't do them anymore. So we'll see how this one holds up to an active lifestyle. Thanks for checking and I'll keep you posted.

Yes, surgeons frown when you ask about hip resurfacing. It's a shame mine had to come out. I am one of unlucky ones that got metal on metal symptoms.

I am 3 months out, to me the dual mobility hip replacement feels to totally natural. It felt better than when the resurfacing component was in place.

What did your surgeon say about what you can and cant do when your heeled from the hip replacement The resurfacing techilnically allows to to jog,run, etc.

Regards

Larry

Dr told me if I gave it time to heal properly I shouldn't have any restrictions. DM is press fit so the bone has to grow into the implant unlike the HR is cemented.

This is actually my second hip replacement had the left hip done in 2015
Just to clarify, @Deputy#265 , did you have two surgeries on your left hip - a resurfacing and then a replacement? We have a resurfacing in 2014, but you recently said you had your left hip done in 2015.

Had left hip resurfacing in 2014 (2015 was fat thumb text lol) Had right hip replacement 3/11/21.

Day 5 post op and all is well. Minimal pain and soreness. Up to quarter mile on daily walk and doing PT exercises.

Hey there :wave:
Good to hear you’re doing well. Please take it slow. Don’t want to see you ruin a good thing.
Happy Tuesday! :SUNsmile:
@Deputy#265

7 days in to recovery and doing well. Off of pain meds except for nights (sleeping). Still doing quarter mile walk every other day with walker and PT exercises twice daily.

Doing well, Deputy! May it long continue.
Have a nice weekend and stay in touch. :wave:
@Deputy#265

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
We hope you’re doing well and would love to read a progress report if you have the time.
Have a wonderful week! :wave:
@Deputy#265

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker