THR Brand New Hip

Ropeslinger

Country
United States United States
Out of recovery, had a hiccup and changed from spinal and sedation to general anesthesia and intubation....a bit longer in recovery.
Taken first walk, the excruciating pain when I'd bear weight is gone!! Achy and sore from the surgery but so far so good. Been a long day. Going to get some rest.

Bless you. It such a relief when surgery is over. There’s always a chance for things to change at the last second. You only want what’s best for you as does the care team. Stay on top of those pain meds, ice, and rest. That’s the ticket. Best wishes for a good, pain controlled recovery.

Congrats on your new hip, Ropeslinger! Realizing the excruciating pain is gone is so wonderful. Glad to hear things are going well for you. I hope your pain is well managed and you’re able to get some sleep tonight. If they’re not providing ice, please ask for it. It’s great for pain control. :ice:

I’ll leave the Recovery Guidleines for you to read through when you’re feeling up to it. Wishing you comfort as you begin to heal.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Ropeslinger
Happy to hear you are doing well, and the arthritis pain is gone!
Wishing you continued healing!

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Welcome to the healing side @Ropeslinger! Slow and easy, lots of ice, elevation and rest. Stop in often and share your recovery with us. I think you will be very happy in the long run that you had THR. :ice: :ice: :ice:

:wave:
Good to see your post and glad you are now on the recovery road.
The first weeks were a bit tough for me, but knowing I was actually going to recover and be rid of that horrid hip pain was so exciting to me.

Stay chilled, new hippy friend :ice:

Absolutely no pain at the sutured, quad muscle sore. PT cancelled for today as my Troponin (cardiac enzymes) levels went through the roof after recovery so they want to make sure all is good with my heart before I can get turned loose and go home.

Attachments

• 20210302_084645.jpg
    20210302_084645.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 229
Wow. Those staples look painful, I didn’t have staples and I’m happy that I didn’t because they look like they’d hurt. Your incision looks neat and clean though. I hope you get clearance for discharge soon. I was a bit apprehensive about going home within 24 hrs, but once I got home I realized it was much more comfortable and easier to relax. Wishing you comfort and safe travels home to your recovery nest. :)
@Ropeslinger

@Layla actually there is no pain from the incision or staples, mostly my upper quad is the one giving me grief.

Sorry to hear about the upper quad pain - that could be reaction to the tourniquet used during surgery. It will get better. I am glad they are watching your levels and taking their time on releasing you. Good luck with your recovery and getting home.

I get to go home today, I've been doing lots of lying exercises to get the quad and glute muscles working, can raise my foot almost 2 feet over the bed without issue now. At first those muscles didn't want to budge.

Glad you are on your way home. :egypdance: Much easier to get comfy.
Please don't worry about asking that leg to perform by stressing it out these early days. Your soft tissue was disturbed quite a bit in order to get that new hip in place.
Babying it for a while is really what it needs.

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday :wave:
Safe travels home. You’ll rest so much better there.
Let us know how the trip and getting settled in at home went once you’re resting comfortably and feel like posting.
All the best!
@Ropeslinger

I'm home now, doing good, muscle sore but what a huge improvement. I can weight bear without crying again...oh man, I'm pretty excited.
Blimey Rope , how the hell are you home ( with dodgy ticker ) your a hero , I,m too frightened to leave the chair, magnificent effort Ropey surely you are on strong pain meds ?
I see you’re a bit younger than me ,I would imagine makes all the difference , keep it going mate

@JohnWilky Troponin levels (cardiac enzymes) dropped back down so they let me go. I'm taking norco 5/325mg every 4 hours and no real pain, just muscle sore. The soreness is completely manageable whereas before absolutely nothing would ease the pain. I'm taking everything real easy and slow for sure, not in a hurry. I'll admit, I'm a bit wary putting weight on it because I'm still expecting the intense pain to come back but so far it hasn't.

I'm a bit wary putting weight on it because I'm still expecting the intense pain to come back but so far it hasn't.
And it won't come back. That crumbling hip was replaced with a shiny new one. No more bone on bone pain!

Hope you are resting comfortably!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bonehenge
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom