TKR Back Again

Kazilla

senior
Country
United States United States
I'm baaaack:snork:

Had TKR on right knee in May 2016. Today I got the news that the left one needs it. My foot surgery on right foot pushed the other knee over the edge. So I am looking at possible date of June 1st.

Hi and Welcome back!

I‘m sure you’ll see a few things have changed over the years since your last TKR. We’ll be with you all the way.

Here‘s our pre op reading:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

What surgery did you have on your right foot, and when was it, @Kazilla ? If you can tell us that, I'll add it to your signature, since it affected your knee as well.

I was diagnosed with accessory navicular in my right foot. I am also flat footed. My doc did a kinder procedure (take out extra bone and reattach tendon to actual navicular bone). Since he was in the neighborhood and recover time is the same, he also did a calcaneal osteotomy (cut heel bone and shifted a part of it, then screwed in place with 2 ling screws). I was in a cast for 6 weeks. This put extra pressure on left knee which lead to the breakdown speeding up
. Screenshot_20210227-182411_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210227-182635_Gallery.jpg

Welcome back, @Kazilla , although I'm sorry you're having more knee problems. I hope you can get everything smoothed out and get your knee fixed soon. We know how hard it is to try to live when your knee isn't right, so good luck on getting things taken care of.

I opted to appeal immediately. I am 20 lbs over their requirement. Got the call yesterday, the denial was overturned and I'm approved!! Lost 3 weeks, we originally planned on June 1st, but it's better than a year wait. I'm a teacher, so I have 10 weeks off for summer. Will have 7 weeks from surgery until new school year begins. New date is June 22nd.

Will have 7 weeks from surgery until new school year begins.
I assume you know this is a very aggressive return to work for anyone - let alone someone who needs to be on their feet and move around frequently. I hope you can work with your school to ease into work at a later date.

I have a tentative tkr date of june 23, waiting for insurance clearance, so we will be on the road to recovery together. I hope your job will make any accommodations you might still need by the time school starts.

I was diagnosed with accessory navicular in my right foot. I am also flat footed. My doc did a kinder procedure (take out extra bone and reattach tendon to actual navicular bone). Since he was in the neighborhood and recover time is the same, he also did a calcaneal osteotomy (cut heel bone and shifted a part of it, then screwed in place with 2 ling screws). I was in a cast for 6 weeks. This put extra pressure on left knee which lead to the breakdown speeding up
. Screenshot_20210227-182411_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210227-182635_Gallery.jpg
Do those screws bother you? I had both of my ankles fused (almost 20 years apart) and for my most recent one, they had to remove the hardware due to pain. I still have the titanium screws somewhere and am determined to make earrings out of them…:heehee:

I opted to appeal immediately. I am 20 lbs over their requirement. Got the call yesterday, the denial was overturned and I'm approved!! Lost 3 weeks, we originally planned on June 1st, but it's better than a year wait. I'm a teacher, so I have 10 weeks off for summer. Will have 7 weeks from surgery until new school year begins. New date is June 22nd.
I’m glad you fought it. There are plenty of studies that indicate that a higher BMI does not necessarily correlate with worse outcomes.

Will have 7 weeks from surgery until new school year begins.
I assume you know this is a very aggressive return to work for anyone - let alone someone who needs to be on their feet and move around frequently. I hope you can work with your school to ease into work at a later date.
I hope she can figure something out with this as well, but please keep in mind that not all of us have that luxury.

Yes, since I have been through this once before, I know it's an aggressive return date.They were fantastic during my first one. I teach English to high schoolers, so I can modify my teaching to work with recovery. We were in person since late August, so I had to adjust my style this year to maintain distance. I had to teach from behind my desk, I hated doing it that way, but did it. I will use the same approach until I'm back up to speed next year. I'm already working on ideas for room design to make teaching safe for recovery coming back that early.

I already spoke with my admin, and they are keeping me in my same room and that is on first floor close to entrance of school. My husband started teaching this year, and is at the same school. So he will be helping me set up in the fall. our grown boys have also agreed to help as well. I also will have a teaching assistant so I will rely on them heavily at the start. I'm running copies of what I know I'll need at the beginning now.

The screws in the foot I do not feel at all. That same foot had a bunionectomy years ago, but that was a tiny one compared to these monsters! . My newest xrays show it is all healed around them now. My students have started calling me the bionic woman.

@Kazilla, yes it is! I injured this knee 40 years ago, and rehabbed it with pt and the occasional cortisone shot over the decades. In January it swelled more than usual and a bakers cyst burst down into my calf. my mobility has declined and it seems every week I can do less and less on my feet. I continue to do the pt stuff from my march adventure with pt, and as little as i can get away with around the house. i am retired so i can indulge my many sedentary hobbies interspersed with hobbling around the house.

You will find a lot of great information here. I have already started getting things in place. I just ordered my sleep mask for when they do those middle of the night vitals. I will have my boys take my walker and stuff back out of the shed for round 2. :) Gotta find my fanny pack for my little essentials (chap stick, mints, gum, etc) to hook to the bed at the hospital too.

I am planning on bringing home my school mini fridge and microwave since my bedroom is upstairs in our house. So I have easy access to snacks, drinks, and a microwave meal if everyone is out. I have a small folding table for those. I will get some bottled water and gatorade to stock under the table. I won't need my wedge pillow this time as we got an adjustable bed about a year and a half ago.

I am building out my living room nest...drawing and knitting supplies nearby, landline phone etc. I was guessing I will be mostly upstairs in bedroom the first week, when can you do one trip down and up the stairs in a day?

I was thinking that if my husband brings up a small thermos of milk for me at night I can use it in the morning for tea or coffee and cold cereal before he wakes up. I have an electric kettle in my old home office upstairs. i saved my moms Walker and the Walker tray as well as her shower chair.

I don't remember exactly, but I do remember doing it on my butt. :) Found it much easier that way, at least going down. Up requires more arm strength doing it that way, plus having to get back up to standing, so I tried to avoid that as long as I could. We have a bonus room upstairs, so I won't only be confined to our bedroom. I have my husband and two grown sons, so I have plenty of lift power around me if needed. My bigger concern is our two big dogs. One is a big baby, he's a lab and a big cuddler. The other is a crazy coonhound. Both are 75+ pounds each.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom