THR BigD’s recovery thread

@Fatherdano Still very early days in a process that can take up to 12 months or more. Sore and achy is part of this recovery.

Do use a cane when you get tired. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again. All this will ease in time.

Cold definitely bothered my hip in the early days of recovery @Fatherdano, however it doesn't seem to really bother me any more, certainly not as much as my joints complained about the cold before replacement.

Thinking about making a trip this weekend that requires an airline ride of approximately 5 hours with a short layover.

Any medical reason it’s not a good idea?
(I’m not sure I want to sit that long )

Any medical reason it’s not a good idea?
(I’m not sure I want to sit that long )
Don't think there is a medical reason but I know at 2 months out, I wouldn't be excited about it.:unsure:
Here's some info about flying from our library.

Hello...I hope you’re having a good week so far :wave:

Ugh! I’m sore thinking about that flight. I know I couldn’t have that early on. Those cramped quarters would have done me in! I could barely sit in a car, and the max amount of time before I turned into a sulking sour puss was about 30-40 mins. It’s just too confining and five hours of that would be a long time. If you do decide to tackle it, please share your experience afterward, good or bad, it may be helpful to someone following behind you.
I‘d choose terra firma, without hesitation, in these early days.

All the best as you’re healing! :)
@Fatherdano

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Did you make the trip? We’d love to hear how it went if you did. Hopefully if you did, all went well and you enjoyed the getaway.
A great week to you!
@Fatherdano

Yesterday was 9 weeks.
I’ve mentioned before that I have 6 boys. Well after going to the youngest’s B-BALL game and sitting and wearing a mask for a few hours I backed out of the trip.

I was headed to see One of my other boys compete, it’ll have to wait.
I continue to swim and have started some upper body weight lifting along 5-10 minutes on an exercise bike and elyptical machine. My intensity remains rather low until my soreness subsides.
Tried to tie my work boot on the operated side yesterday....
I’m paying for that today.

Had a very scary incident at work yesterday also, I had just got done yelling for a crew to vacate a 4 story scaffold due to high winds when a minute later it blew over forcing me to ‘run’ about 15 yards through 6” of snow covered ground for safety.

luckily no one was hurt, I’m wondering how I would have fared if I still had the old hip?
I anticipate some soreness from that burst.

still stiff and sore, but I do think is changing from operating soreness to recovery soreness

I "had" to run about 3 months into my recovery from BTHR when my BIL flipped over a canoe spooking a rattlesnake my way.:flabber:
Wasn't planning on sprinting that early out, but was nice to know I Could.:bolt:
That tightness can hang on for quite some time (along with stamina being low) so keep the faith, friend.
Slow and steady Will work out being faster than creating tendonitis or other stress on still healing and still re-training soft tissue.

You might want to give the bike and elliptical a pass for a little while @Fatherdano. If you're already getting plenty of activities for your hip. Maybe stick to upper body work for a little while longer while you are still healing.

You might want to give the bike and elliptical a pass for a little while @Fatherdano. If you're already getting plenty of activities for your hip. Maybe stick to upper body work for a little while longer while you are still healing.
It’s almost passive movement as I’m not exerting much effort, kind like getting used to a bike seat and just the motion, I understand the healing aspect and I don’t want to jeopardize it

Week 10

Falling into a fairly regular schedule. Work, workout and family stuff.

All aids such as canes, raised seats are gone.

Sock aid remains lol, New challenge is tying my work boots . My PT is insisting I wait till week 12, I’m cheating a bit. I’m lifting 3 times a week mostly upper body but have added quad lifts and hamstring curls(with my PT’s approval). Am able to kick now while swimming, but am slowly adding it to my swim as I mostly use a pullboy.

Legs are still sore but it’s becoming a balance soreness (not too bad). Realizing how important the glute exercises are and even more important it is to keep the hip flexors stretched.
On a awkward note lol someone other than myself trimmed my toenails. Something I never put much thought into before having surgery....

On a awkward note lol someone other than myself trimmed my toenails. Something I never put much thought into before having surgery....

Funny the little things we take for granted until we can no longer engage.
It is early recovery in the whole scheme of things. It will come.
Have a great day and weekend! :)

Few days past week 11.
I’m working out 6 days a week
Swimming 3 days w/ PT
Weight lifting w/ cycling (15 min)& elyptical (7 min)

everything is progressing. I’m spending slot of time stretching my hamstring and hip flexors.

my limp is almost gone.(more of a waddle lol)
Walking a lot on snow covered rough terrain is helping my balance and core strength.

Saw my chiropractor for the second time and the adjustments do help my lower back.

Sitting is the hardest thing so far.

@Fatherdano Sounds like you are doing very well for only 11 weeks out. That's a lot of activity but it's obviously working for you. Well done!

Oh, so sorry to learn this, hopefully your case is mild and fleeting.
Please stay in touch. We’re here if you need us.
Wishing you comfort and a speedy recovery.
@Fatherdano

@Fatherdano So sorry you caught this horrid virus. Please take care of yourself. Fingers crossed this passes quickly.

Hey @Fatherdano
Another member mentioning a Covid test brought you to mind. I hope you’re doing okay, remaining symptom free. Update us when you have the time.
All the best to you.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I sure hope this day finds you feeling well.
Wishing you a happy, healthy month of March.
@Fatherdano

Thanks all for the well wishes! Phew!!!
That really kicked my butt.

10 straight days of body aches, fatigue, shortness of breath and a shallow cough that had my core screaming for relief. I’ve lost 22 pounds. I didn’t sign up for that diet! Lol.

to make matters worse I had just completed a couple intense workouts (for me)so I was sore to begin with.
I’m quarantined till Thursday but I’m hoping maybe tomorrow to start stretching out. Looking forward to traveling worry free end of March! I suppose I can see my mom now that she has vaccines and I’m no longer a risk...

my son 2000 miles away tested positive Also and has had zero symptoms. Crazy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back