THR chialiyu's recovery thread - 1/12 LTHR - Anterior Approach

Day 8:
The blood stain is getting bigger. It is definitely not moving toward the right direction. I left a message to the surgeon's care team and still waiting for response. Should I ask my husband drive me to the urgent care to take a look just to be on the cautious side?

Should I ask my husband drive me to the urgent care to take a look just to be on the cautious side?
Because you are asking I tend to error on the side of caution and say yes to going to urgent care.
Your decision also depends on how you are feeling, fever, increased swelling, increased pain, increased redness around the incision, are all indications you need to be seen ASAP.

Day 8 update:
The OS nurse called me back. She assured me it is normal to have leakage from the incision and it is nothing to worry about. She asked me to go ahead to remove dressing as indicated. And it is fine to shower over it but pat it dry afterward.
I removed the dressing after talking with her. There are some yellowish discharge visible on the gauge pad but the wound looks clean and closed overall. I am so relieved.
Thank you @Pumpkln. So good to have this forum as a supporting system. ::friends:

The skin around the incision is still itchy. Looks reddish. Tried my best not to scratch and ice to calm it down. I can walk and fried a couple eggs in the kitchen without the cane but 15 minutes probably is the most I can do now before feeling uncomfortable.

Start to do the OneStep PT program yesterday, 5 activities (30-50 sec each). Today there are 10 activities. :oyvey:I skipped most of the activities that needs weight bearing on the left. Don't think I need it right now.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your journey! It’s been so helpful to read how it’s going! Hope your recovery continues to go great!

Day 9:
What bothers me the most is the itchy skin: I have dry and itchy skin from my waist down to mid-thigh. :tantrum: I keep icing and it only helps somewhat. Searched the forum but seems it is not a common complain. I remember the first 2 weeks are the hardest. Trying to be patient but still frustrated about my skin from time to time. :gaah:
I can walk without cane (though still limp) for a while. Right after standup still stiff. Taking Tylenol (1000mg * 3) and Aspirin daily.
Feeling my right is getting weaker these days. Probably because lack of exercise and workout. Trying to do some single leg workout to keep them in shape.

The dreaded itch!! I had a clear tape on my incision with no external stitches, I hated that tape after the first week. I was told I could shower and if the tape fell of no problem. I did all I could to get that tape to budge with no luck showering every day and scrubbing on that tape. With my left I had a rash above my incision. I saw the OS at 2 weeks and they removed the tape and he told me it was OK to use Cortisone cream which solved the rash and itch. Check with your OS if you have a rash.

Day 10:
I cover my incision with a gauge pad after removing the dressing. There are still light yellow color discharge on the skin. Nothing serious but I hope they will dry up soon.
Reddish rash around the dressing site and still super itchy. I forgot to call OS office :oyvey:and have to manage with ice since it is already Friday afternoon - don't think I will receive a call back from my OS office by end of day today. Slight swelling in upper thigh stays the same for several days now. Still wearing compression socks during the day and need my husband's help to get the socks on.
Have been calling into several conference call this week and will return back to work (remotely) next week. I sit on a recliner couch most of the time with a lap desk (it doesn't touch my thigh) for my laptop. Coworkers are super understandable and don't mind seeing me on the couch when I have video on. Work gets my mind off my itchy skin so I won't be attempted to scratch it.

I forgot to call OS office :oyvey:and have to manage with ice since it is already Friday afternoon - don't think I will receive a call back from my OS office by end of day today.

You may be surprised. If it’s a bigger practice, I believe they will call you back. Possibly they’d be willing to look at a photo of the redness and any discharge from the wound you’re dealing with. My surgeons PA returned my phone call on a Sunday. You may want to mention the itching you described also. If you’re finding it intolerable, they may prescribe something for you.

@chialiyu I saw your post in another members thread and think this may be what your are looking for.
if not @Layla may have more to add.

Day 12:
Yellowish minor discharge (from skin on top of the incision) continues. It didn't get better and it didn't get worse. Reddish rash on the skin from mid thigh to outer thigh. Not as itchy as couple days ago. Called OS's office and left a message yesterday about the skin condition. Haven't heard back from them.
I can walk/limp without the cane. Still feel burning sensation when I walk so tried to limit the time I truly weight bearing on the operative leg. The first several steps are the hardest and I also feel more stiff (then it will get better). I am doing oneStep PT program with minor walk around the house. The PT program assigned several weight bearing activities on the operative leg but I modified it to the other leg to not overload it. Cooked a quick meal but the operative leg is tired at the end.
Approaching the end of the 2nd week post op. The leg/skin/wound overall felt more stable than couple days before. Hopefully the rash and the discharge can move toward the right direction soon.

@Layla Found another great info from you (from another recovery thread) - I think will be very useful to append to the "elevate" article. I didn't quite understand why I should elevate my leg. This information helps a ton.
Jamie has shared that it’s our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on it’s own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.
I moved it to my recovery thread because I don't want to hijack other's discussion and want to keep collecting useful info for me.

Thank you @Layla for all the wonderful work you and other staff did for the forum. Can't imagine how I can get through mine journey without this. :thankyou:

@chialiyu I’m at day ten and also saw some bloodstain at similar time. Congrats on being able to slowly walk without the cane. Isn’t it amazing?! I went out yesterday for first time since surgery. Happy to be icing and off opioid pain meds at this point and on the mend. Cheers to a swift and safe recovery for you as well.

@Elisehip Just notice we went through very similar journey (right replaced in July last year and left in Jan this year.) Congrats to our new hip(s)!
I am in Minnesota - not a safe walking condition outdoors these days as it is snowy and icy but I definitely notice improvement in the last couple days. Glad to know that you are enjoying the outdoor already.
Speedy recovery to you too!

Hi @chialiyu ! Sounds like you are coming along. I'm nearly at the end of week 3.

Wondering why you aren't taking any type of ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory? I was prescribed Meloxicam for first 15 days (a 24 hour anti-inflammatory). Then moved on to basic 200 mg. ibuprofen. Trying to take 400 mg every 4.5 to 5 hours. Has made such a difference in the swelling and inflammation. But I realize some people can't take certain things.

Don't forget to re-read some of the amazing, wise words from our moderators. Take it easy, be gentle on yourself, and if something hurts during or after you do it, don't do it. I'm finding it so hard to be patient with all of this. But I've also found I set myself back a couple of times when I over did it.

You are brave and amazing having this for a 2nd time. And an inspiration to me - here in MN also! Take care, heal well, and have a wonderful week.

@chialiyu yes! Definitely similar. I couldn’t help but notice another member said you aren’t taking anything. I’m slowly winding down on Meloxicam, lyrica and tramadol as well as Tylenol. I’m sure that’s helping a lot. Surprised to hear you are going without anything. You are a trooper! I’m in NY. It’s cold but no snow so I was blessed to be able to go out for a few. Happy to see you are doing a bit better the last few days. So happy I found this community this time around.

@ncarlson @Elisehip
Wondering why you aren't taking any type of ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory? I was prescribed Meloxicam for first 15 days (a 24 hour anti-inflammatory). Then moved on to basic 200 mg. ibuprofen. Trying to take 400 mg every 4.5 to 5 hours. Has made such a difference in the swelling and inflammation. But I realize some people can't take certain things.

That's a good question. In my prescription my surgeon asked me to take 1000mg Tylenol every 6 hours for 10 days. After 10 days, take them as needed. Ibuprofen is "as needed" if Tylenol doesn't help. Since I have never been in great pain after surgery, I only took Tylenol. Today I took only 500mg Tylenol with Aspirin in the morning and plan to take 1000mg Tylenol at night to see how I handle it with reduced dosage.

After my last THR, I did take narcotic for about a week. This time I noticed the nurse didn't give me narcotic after my surgery when I stayed overnight - she just asked the degree of pain I was in then decided on the meds. I think other than I might have insensitive nerve to begin with (non medical terms of course...) the activity guideline I learned from this site helped me a lot. The first time I believed I have to walk, stand, do PT in order to recover, which caused swelling, pain, discomfort, etc. This time I just take it easy. So far I was not in a lot of discomfort other than the itchy skin and the minor discharge, which still worries me a little bit.

Don't forget to re-read some of the amazing, wise words from our moderators. Take it easy, be gentle on yourself, and if something hurts during or after you do it, don't do it.
Well said and good reminder @ncarlson . I browsed many recovery threads and learned a ton! Kudos to ppl who shared their experiences and can't thank the forum staff enough! Since you are also in MN, you know we probably have to wait till April to enjoy the daily walk outdoors (with pleasant green grass and no snow on the ground). That's what I am looking forward to! Who knows - maybe we will have an early warm-up since we all have been through a lot in 2020!

I’m in NY. It’s cold but no snow so I was blessed to be able to go out for a few.
@Elisehip my brother-in-law lives in Boston and they always tease us how mild their winter is comparing to MN! Hopefully the mild winter is here to stay.

Thank you for your kind words in regard to BoneSmart. We appreciate the sentiment and we’re happy you found us so we can support you on the journey. I found the forum a blessing during my recovery and reading here most likely saves many a surgeon phone calls over non emergency issues. I think your suggestion of adding the explanation of the lymphatic system to the article on elevation is a wonderful idea that I plan to pass on. Thank you for that suggestion!

For your peace of mind, I hope you’ll call your OS’s office tomorrow and inquire about the discharge. Possibly you can take a close up of the wound with your phone, or any fresh discharge that collected on gauze, or whatever covering you may still have on. Your surgeon, or the PA, may be able to offer reassurance upon viewing a photo. It’s worth asking tomorrow.

I hope you have a relaxing evening and sleep well tonight. :yawn: :sleep:
@chialiyu

I hope you’ll call your OS’s office tomorrow and inquire about the discharge.
I will do that tomorrow. Unfortunately my OS's nurse is not always responsive. They react to urgent issue within several hours but they don't respond to every call. (Hopefully that means it is not serious...)
I will have my 2 weeks check up on Tuesday. Will keep the forum posted on the progress. Thanks again @Layla .

Day 13:
OS office called me in the morning and moved my appointment up to today because they want to take a look at my wound. The surgeon said the incision looks good. It doesn't look infected. My main discomfort is still from the skin itchiness. The doctor didn't prescribe hydrocortisone. He said they probably caused by the tape and not to cover it up might make it better. It should heal completely in a week.
I asked about my left leg feels longer. He took a look at the X-ray - from the film it looks like 1/3 inches longer but it is too early to tell. We will revisit it by 12 weeks. If I still feel the left leg is longer, he can design shoe insert on the right (but he thinks with the muscle, walking, etc, it will even out and I probably won't notice it eventually).
It is my first day back to work (remotely). By 5 PM I was on my 3rd ice pack, less frequently than last week. Good that I didn't experience more discomfort because of it. Got enough walk from my post-op appointment and prepared half of the dinner. @ncarlson saw your recovery thread - thanks for the reminder of self-care while going back to work. I will keep that in mind.

Wow @chialiyu! You are one amazing women to be back at work so early, even if it is from home. I had an office job and went back after 7 weeks but needed to work from home Tuesdays and Thursdays just to get through the week, and I iced at work 3-4 times a day! Hope things continue to go well for you. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom