TKR Cococay in pre-op

I completely agree with Jockette here, until the knee is fixed you aren't going to correct the other issues. I had limped because of my knee for 20-30 years so I definitely had a lot of issues to correct. I really had to concentrate on proper heel, toe walking to relearn a proper gait after TKR. As I did the rest of my body gladly fell back into their proper rolls without having to compensate for the knee. We all get nervous as the day approaches @Cococay, but rest assured you are on the best path to being fully mobile again. Between now and then, lean on us all you need for support, we've got you!

Thank you both. That helps. It’s funny almost- I was so upset when I was postponed and now that it’s coming up my mind is all over. What if? Should I? When will? If I? How about? And on and on.

I really am grateful foe the support

It’s very normal. Even though we prepare, there’s still that actual unknown that we fear. It’s like that with a lot of things. I’ve had some tough things to do this past year, and it was scary, but once we do it, and it went well, its done and the fear is gone. And we realize, we are stronger than we thought.

You've got this. You are ready. The time will go quickly and you wont have arthritis in that knee again!

It may not mean much but I really hope all the best!! Based on your posts I know your worried look at me I should have been bored!! and was still driving myself nuts!!. You have gotten lots of really good information and yes you have every reason to be scared nervous god knows how many other things have crossed your mind but as long as you have confidence with your surgeon follow the guidelines given here you will be okay!! Not trying to sugar coat this but letting you know recovery is going to take time and yes it is going to hurt. My knee is driving me nuts and this is with taking meds as scheduled icing it thru out the day and taking it easy.
I really wish you the best and hope surgery and beyond goes well!!

Hey @Cococay!

I second what NFenske has said! I’m sure all this waiting, all this pain, all this uncertainty, together with gearing yourself up, then being cancelled is bound to take its toll on your brain and your nerves! But you’re nearly there, and I feel sure you are well prepared, you have this forum, and you will go into recovery knowing it will be hard work, but with a good goal at the end of it.

It’s a shame I was hoping we could do this journey together but I found out today that my op is cancelled due to the virus.

But I’ll be thinking of you next week and look forward to hearing from you soon. Hang in there girl, you can do this!:)

Well.... I’ve had it planned that I would do this saliva covid test to avoid the nasal swab- today I got a call and I thought it was the nurse from the hospital to go over stuff but instead it was someone- also from the hospital but-that calls to make sure covid test gets done. So I tell her my plan...... apparently the saliva test is an antigen test and not as accurate so it won’t do. I don’t get it being the MN department of health endorses it - but- now I have to either find a place that does ge throat swab by tomorrow or force myself to endure. I’m sure I’ve made it way worse in my head- but - I did so now im nervous.
I was told I must stop all nsaids a week before. My surgery is next Tuesday. I took it yesterday but none starting today. I guess it depends on if they count the day of- but that should be ok right?
im really hurting-very hard to-get around at all. I usually take 800 of ibuprofen every 3-4-5 hours round the clock plus Tylenol. If I’m not moving I can deal with it but wow am I stiff. Walk like a limping crooked turtle.
That’s my whining for the day- sorry to be so negative

I get it-the covid test is a pain. But, you can do it! I'm a huge chicken, and I got the nose and throat swabs. Was it fun? No. Did I get through it? Yes. I looked at it this way; the test was a lot easier than the constant pain I was in, and even if I don't agree with needing the test, it is what it is and it was required to get the surgery, so I got it. Plus, it didn't actually hurt, it was just uncomfortable. And, it was a lot less uncomfortable than the pain of getting an epidural, which in my case was needed TWICE, so do what you must to get your surgery so you can soon be out of this constant pain and take your life back!

The Covid test is nothing compared to getting labs your surgery it takes seconds. Not being gross but blowing your nose takes longer and hurts more. From when I first started reading about the test I thought that is going to hurt since it sounded like the q-tip went quite far into the nose which made me nervous. Reality its nothing no pain takes seconds your done by comparison when they draw blood you get pricked with a needle which can hurt and if they cannot find the vein even more. Please do not let this one item set you back??

Please don’t worry about the test - I’ve had it done (did it myself), and it really is over so quickly, it’s a little uncomfortable but only for a few seconds. It shouldn’t worry you and shouldn’t stand in the way of your op - it really is minor and not worth the worry! Do some deep breathing and before you know it, it’ll be done....

I’ll be looking forward to following your recovery - just a shame I won’t be recovering with you!

You can do this!

Well- I did the covid test. I exhausted every option first- I had thought I could do the ones like at the drive throughs CVS/Walgreens etc- b/c those you do yourself and they are the ones that go all the way back to where it meets your throat- they go in much shorter. However, the hospital requires that it be a specific test- a specific way. :arrow:- So- I had to admit that I just had to suck it up and do it. What I will say is that- of course I made it way worse in my head and got myself riled- however, - I don't ever want to do that again. It did hurt. But- I did it- and it didn't last long- and I am fine so-at least that is done.
I am just awaiting the call from the nurse at the hospital to tell me what time to be there and all of that....

@Cococay Good now you can check that off your to-do list :flwrysmile: It's so true that way too often our minds come up with anxiety producing thoughts and the experience itself just does not match up with those thoughts. So tell that little niggly voice to be quiet :yes:

Djklaugh I hear you there. My little niggly voice has one of those megaphones....
I got my instructions from the admitting nurse- So my surgeon she said is so fast -well she said efficient- but he uses 2 ORs because instead of waiting for the room to get turned over when he is done- he goes to the 2nd OR and when he is done- back to the first etc etc. I had heard one was knee and one hip. I think it’s great he can do that but I don’t want him to rush or anything.
I’m the first surgery in the 2nd OR. It’s feeling so real. Up til today I still wondered if it would get postponed.
I’m glad I’m isolating almost because without ibuprofen I’m struggling quite a bit.
I’m trying really hard to be patient- because I know they all mean well- but- my Family my friends my coworkers have all been non stop drilling me that I must do PT right away and as much as possible etc etc. I don’t want to debate with everyone though- I just am gonna only do what my body wants—allows. But I have a feeling that they all will push it way more after surgery.

Hi! I love reading your posts! I hope you are doing ok! I’m thinking of you and sending good energy vibes your way!

From what I have been reading you seem as jittery as I was right before surgery. Keep in mind while family and friends want whats absolutely the best for ( along with everyone here!! ) when it comes to PT if you over do it your knee will let you know in no uncertain terms ( blunt is a good term ). While they may say oh its not too hard you can do it well they are not you nor can they feel what you feel.
There is always a chance the surgery may get delayed but that would be in an emergency situation. It happened to me once had to be at hospital 6am and due to emergency had to wait till 1130. You may want to enjoy this weekend as much as you can , I would almost bet getting a good nights sleep Sunday is pointless. The way I look at really does not matter since they will put you to sleep anyway.
Really wish you the best may not always come across properly but there was a time I was in your shoes and my nerves were going nuts. ( well for that matter little has changed at least for me ). Just think pretty soon the long road to recovery begins and its long.
Take care.

but- now I have to either find a place that does get throat swab by tomorrow or force myself to endure. I’m sure I’ve made it way worse in my head- but - I did so now I'm nervous.
Sure the nasal Covid swab is unpleasant, but it's over so quickly. It really isn't as terrible as people make out it is.

When I had mine, the nurse taking it said "I'm going to put this swab in your nose and hold it there while I count to five, than I'll take it out." And that's just what she did. By the time she got to "Four", I was wishing she'd take it out, and then she said "Five" and it was all done.

You can do this.

@Cococay Oh the well meaning friends, family, coworkers ... yeah well if hey have never had a joint replacement - particularly a knee one -- then they do not get a say in how you manage your recuperation. And even if one or two have had such surgery they still do not take precedence over your surgeon and advice from knowledgeable (been there, done that) experts here at BoneSmart! For those who only think they know send them to YouTube to find a video of an actual knee replacement surgery (I don't suggest you watching one your self - a bit too graphic IMO).

Hang tough - 3 more days and :fingersx: surgery will be behind you :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks