THR GibsonGirl's Anterior THR Recovery

@GibsonGirl1948
Grinding pain gone and a good nights sleep! sounds like you are doing well . We all heal differently but at about 2 weeks I felt things really started to improve, I was able to stop the narcotics and move easier. From there I looked for progress week to week rather than day to day. You're on the right path, better days ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
After two weeks, your skin should be pretty well healed.

If any of the steristrips have a loose end, or if they're starting to look a bit tatty, you won't do any harm if you remove them.
Even though people are often told to leave them until they fall off, that's really being over-cautious. You could try removing alternate ones in a few days' time.
Will consider!

GUESS WHAT, FRIENDS!! Sorry but this deserves all caps!!! Day 15 post surgery for me. I was able to stand up from sitting in a dining room chair without using my hands and the strength of my arms to push myself up. I did it almost without even thinking! I have not been able to do this for at least the past 2 years. I had not expected to ever be able to do this again. I am thrilled!

I was too chicken to take the strips off completely so when they got ratty at the ends and started curling, I just trimmed them with manicure scissors. I picked at them gently when I was bored and kept everything clean. Congrats on standing!

Last edited:
Aww, I love your excitement and enthusiasm!
Your post will make anyone who reads it happy for you.

I think I had one of those moments about four weeks post op and the first time I got out of my vehicle without the need to manually lifting my leg and slowly lower it until my foot hit the floor. If I didn’t do this pre-op, it was the most excruciating pain I’d deal with daily. I was so excited and frankly overwhelmed that it brought tears of joy to my eyes and a heartfelt Thank You, Jesus!

It almost feels unbelievable to regain strength when you’ve become so accustomed with the inability to do simple things we never gave a second thought, but just took for granted. I’ll bet you wanted to do it again, just to make sure you really could, lol. That’s how I felt. The best thing is, it’s only the beginning as these little surprises have a way of popping up through the early months of recovery. May it only get better as you become stronger week by week. Woohoo for you....wonderful news! :happydance:
@GibsonGirl1948

Aww, I love your excitement and enthusiasm!
Your post will make anyone who reads it happy for you.

I think I had one of those moments about four weeks post op and the first time I got out of my vehicle without the need to manually lifting my leg and slowly lower it until my foot hit the floor. If I didn’t do this pre-op, it was the most excruciating pain I’d deal with daily. I was so excited and frankly overwhelmed that it brought tears of joy to my eyes and a heartfelt Thank You, Jesus!

It almost feels unbelievable to regain strength when you’ve become so accustomed with the inability to do simple things we never gave a second thought, but just took for granted. I’ll bet you wanted to do it again, just to make sure you really could, lol. That’s how I felt. The best thing is, it’s only the beginning as these little surprises have a way of popping up through the early months of recovery. May it only get better as you become stronger week by week. Woohoo for you....wonderful news! :happydance:
@GibsonGirl1948

Layla, thanks so much because you understand completely! I too have had to do the leg lifting and it just became a way of life. Sometime I will share the emotional aspects of this journey. I had no idea going into surgery that this experience would be such an emotional one for me. I have spent the past 2 years thinking that I was dealing with bursitis, even diagnosed! I continued to have more pain and became more and more imobile. I even had bad dreams of having to live in a nursing home. I kid you not! Now, just 16 days post, my hope is renewed and I see that I am not ready for the Old Folks Home. This surgery is not only healing my hip and giving me the ability to walk again, but it has given me an additional healing of deep emotional pain. AND... I'm not finished yet. Too much to go into right now but I look forward to sharing in the future!

Now, just 16 days post, my hope is renewed and I see that I am not ready for the Old Folks Home. This surgery is not only healing my hip and giving me the ability to walk again, but it has given me an additional healing of deep emotional pain. AND... I'm not finished yet. Too much to go into right now but I look forward to sharing in the future!

Awesome @GibsonGirl1948 glad to hear the future looks bright!:walking:

Such a wonderful update...
Isn't it great to have that bone crunching pain gone. :happydance:
Things will keep getting better and better...
Hope your week is Sweet :) :-) (:

I had no idea going into surgery that this experience would be such an emotional one for me.

I do understand! There is a lot of emotion involved in replacing a natural body part. The pain leading to the decision, the pre-op anxiety, the mystery of recovery if it’s your first surgery. All of it. I’m happy you're where you are now emotionally. So much more peaceful!
Hugs and best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

I had no idea going into surgery that this experience would be such an emotional one for me.

I do understand! There is a lot of emotion involved in replacing a natural body part. The pain leading to the decision, the pre-op anxiety, the mystery of recovery if it’s your first surgery. All of it. I’m happy you're where you are now emotionally. So much more peaceful!
Hugs and best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)
Thank you beyond words! Each day is better than the one before and today was over the top! I am beyond pleased and have such hope of getting my old self back. I felt so good today that my husband had to keep reminding me to take it easy and not overdo. For me, even with the darkness of Covid lurking, I will still enjoy Thanksgiving and feel so grateful for this new lease on life. God is good!

I will still enjoy Thanksgiving and feel so grateful for this new lease on life. God is good!
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are over the hump @GibsonGirl1948, just be carful, the ODIC (Over Did It Club) is REALLY easy to fall into as you start feeling better and better, you're early days yet. I believe both you and I will be among many here celebrating a new lease on life. Happy Thanksgiving!:cheers:

I will still enjoy Thanksgiving and feel so grateful for this new lease on life. God is good!

Sounds like you are over the hump @GibsonGirl1948, just be carful, the ODIC (Over Did It Club) is REALLY easy to fall into as you start feeling better and better, you're early days yet. I believe both you and I will be among many here celebrating a new lease on life. Happy Thanksgiving!:cheers:
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reminder. My husband has been after me for the past two days to stay off my feet except for my walks. I am itching to do some Christmas decorating but husband and granddaughter are taking over. Sincerely, I need to hear your caution. Wishing you a special day of Thanksgiving.

So glad to hear of all your progress @GibsonGirl1948. I trust it has continued post-Thanksgiving. And I think it is therapeutic for family to take on the decorating while you relax. You can get back to it next year - just enjoy their joy.

4 weeks post op! Perhaps the most astounding thing is that time has passed quickly. I feel like I just got home from the hospital! I had my 4 week post op visit with my surgeon yesterday. It was a fantastic visit. I came away feeling so encouraged, so happy and so optimistic about my future. My Doc told me that everything looks great and that I am doing very well. He asked how PT was going and I told him that I had only gone for 2 visits and I told him why I chose to quit. His reply, "You don't need PT. Walking is the most important thing. You're doing great!" He encouraged me to work on giving up my cane but to do so only when I know my body is ready. Yesterday I was able to walk with my husband for 1/4 mile! No pain, no hitches! I am about to do that again in a few. I am beyond pleased with how my recovery is going!

Time does pass more quickly in recovery than you imagined it would prior to surgery. At least I thought so too. Those post op visits with the surgeon do leave you on kind of a high. Especially hearing all is well and you’re progressing as you should. That reassurance is so encouraging. And to think you had the slightest reservation about stopping PT when it seems your surgeon may have supported your decision all along. All great news. I’m happy for you. Enjoy today’s walk with hubby! :walking:
@GibsonGirl1948

Time does pass more quickly in recovery than you imagined it would prior to surgery. At least I thought so too. Those post op visits with the surgeon do leave you on kind of a high. Especially hearing all is well and you’re progressing as you should. That reassurance is so encouraging. And to think you had the slightest reservation about stopping PT when it seems your surgeon may have supported your decision all along. All great news. I’m happy for you. Enjoy today’s walk with hubby! :walking:
@GibsonGirl1948
Interesting update! Yesterday was one of those "on cloud 9 days". I felt so good and so pleased with my post surgery check in. I did the walk with my husband, this morning, but my legs felt tired, no pain, just tired. Now, I am icing and lying in my recliner and even after a good night's sleep I feel like I will surely fall asleep. My daughter said, "Mom, yesterday was huge for you. Listen to your body and go ahead and rest. That's what you need to do." This is a good lesson for me in that I must accept that I am still mending and recovering.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562