THR dgojill RTHR Recovery Side

dgojill

Country
United States United States
On the healing side! Great so far with a decent night's sleep - unexpected and appreciated! Tramadol is dizzy-ville for me. That's the only challenging thing so far; getting up to go piddle while under the influence. Light headed, dizzy, but able to walker myself to the bathroom, park, piddle, get up and back to bed. Grateful!

@dgojill
Welcome to the Other Side!
Sounds like you are doing well, stay on top of the pain.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Sounds good. You can call your doctor if you keep feeling dizzy and that scares you. We all react differently to meds. Sometimes the meds (including dosages) need to be adjusted.

:egypdance: yay, and on your way!
The after affects if anaesthesia and blood loss can make us woppy for a bit.
Be careful and make sure BP is on the level before setting off.
congrats on your new hip

Thanks for info re:meds. So far, that's the only real downer of this experience. I can handle the stiffness, tightness, slight stinging and lack of mobility of my R leg. Lateral Incision does not hurt at all yet. The trifecta of dizziness, nausea, and sweat that Tramadol cause is icky. And I only took one of those suckers this morning, as directed with my other meds! I'm grateful that, so far, the pain and bruising are minimal and both legs are the same size. Definitely feel a tired that is inescapable. Did call the MD office re: Tramadol. We shall see...
Thanks for your support, kindness and suggestions!

Congratulations on your shiny new hip. I hope your dizziness gets resolves.

Congrats!

Elevate and ice! Walk. Elevate and ice! Walk. Repeat.

You will shocked at how great you feel in a week!!

I used Tylenol only at 4G/day, 4 doses at 1000 mg each, and had very manageable pain. Easy to start cutting back on, as well.

Congrats on your new hip and welcome to the healing side! I hope you have a peaceful weekend and get lots of rest. Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey. :walking:
@dgojill

Thanks, Everyone, for the good vibes, suggestions, and happiness! Very comfortable after another reasonably good night's sleep. Only woke up once for the bathroom, got settled back in bed and conked out. TBH, losing sleep was my biggest concern. Feel so fortunate that it's going well so far! Based upon how I feel this morning, I may try a no Tramadol/Gabapentin day, and bring the heavy artillery at bedtime. @ForumUser You are on target. I'm already shocked at how good I feel!

I may try a no Tramadol/Gabapentin day
You might want to wait awhile. The time to start cutting down on medication is when you start forgetting to take doses. At only days out of surgery you really are not at this stage. Stay comfortable so that you can continue to increase your mobility.

That's the crux of the issue, @Jaycey . I didn't feel at all comfortable with the heavier drugs, just nauseated and dizzy and icky. So far, today, feeling fine with NSAIDs. Glad to have other options if I need them, and against the odds, I'm genuinely comfortable and feeling good under the circumstances. :)

I'm genuinely comfortable and feeling good under the circumstances.
This is good news. Just know you have the other options and don't feel you are failing if you need to step back and use them. You should never "suffer through" any pain post op.

Yes! Good to know that I have a buffet of drugs from which to choose; an entire lil' square bucket of them! My husband/caregiver is beyond terrific. This is basic training for both of us. Next year he's on deck to have both hips replaced.

Feeling a little bit stronger and clearer each day. Going for little walks to the kitchen and back to bed. Learning new ways to manage STUFF - pillows, grabbers, covers, meal/reading tray, drug bucket, water bottle etc... New, small, strategies (ex: holding the end of my leg lifter with my teeth), foster more independence. Today is the first day I feel thrilled and happy to have had a THR!

Feeling thrilled and happy that you had a hip replacement on day three post op, is a good sign in my estimation. Some are sad, over tired, constipated, cursing. Using your teeth to assist with Leg Lifter, lol. Now that’s a first, at least first time I’ve heard it.
It seems you’re doing really well and I’ll bet by next Sunday, you’ll be even happier. :happydance:
I hope you have a good week and a nice Thanksgiving! :)
@dgojill

Glad to see you improving and feeling better.
Hope this week is healing and easy... Ice and rest...:ice: :sleeep:

Thanks for all the good wishes/karma, @Mojo333 and @Layla! I appreciate you!
Necessity truly is the mother of invention...
Ended up using my teeth with the leg lifter because my head is my most stationary, yet flexible, pivot point.
In love with my ice machine, wedge pillow and Dulcolax! Like peas and carrots and a little chocolate for dessert, y’know. :egypdance:

Be sure you coordinate taking ANY medications or herbal remedies with your surgeon. Things that may seem harmless can have interactions or other consequences after joint replacement surgery. For example, NSAIDs are not usually recommended following a cementless hip replacement, as it can inhibit bone growth into the implant.

You mentioned in another thread that you were taking a "CBD chocolate that knocked you out" at bedtime. CBD products, with our without THC, taken by mouth should be first cleared with your surgeon. In the case of products with THC in them, even though they may be legal in your state, should definitely be approved by your surgeon as they can interact with other medications you may be taking. Just because something is sold over the counter does not mean it is without risk. There is a high potential for drug interaction with cannabis products and Tramadol.

13 days out from surgery and I walked outdoors on the asphalt (supervised by my husband), sans walker or cane! :spin:Keeping up with 4x day icing - and elevating remains comfy/essential. Working on being able to sit in a chair or tolerate car rides of more than 20 minutes.Two week check up on Friday. The stitches and dressing will be gone and, ideally, the fun n' sexy compression hose, too!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom